The forums were recently upgraded, and this may alter behavior or break things. If you notice problems, check and report them in this thread

My Volvo - 2013 S60 T6 R-Design

know1Know1 (@know1) Melbourne, Victoria
edited July 2018 in Modern
Hey All,
Newcomer to Volvo ownership so thought I'd just share my ride. 2013 S60 T6 R-Design in Black.
KDqt10Sh.jpg

Also have a few bits lined up to go in and some other things planned for the future.
WcaaaRjh.jpg
tGPu2lxh.jpg
2rikQsKh.jpg

Cheers
timboegadsVee_QueOldnDecrepitbigal

Comments

• know1Know1 (@know1) Melbourne, Victoria
    Spent the weekend, sound deadening the doors. It might be placebo but IMO the sound now is cleaner, and the bass hits harder. The cabin was quiet already, but now quieter and any trace of vibration in the door panels has gone completely.
    vCe4euhh.jpg
    cM7uGb7h.jpg

I did the rears as well but didn't bother to get any pics of those as they basically look the same.
    timboegadsOldnDecrepitVee_QueTzantushkaGhettobirdnugget_940
  • Ex850RSnoopy (@Ex850R) Somewhere Over the Rainbow. Melbourne.
    Welcome!
    Who is the exhaust from? Viva?
    They say the DP by itself is worth it alone but I'm disappointed that it says 3.5 inch yet reduces down significantly to the Flexi and the cat, I'm keen to make my own, if you are amenable I would like to borrow your old system?
    How many miles on the old springs? They would be lower than my V60T6 ones if you sold them on but I was tossing up on an Eibach/Bilstein B12 kit anyway,maybe.
    Are you fitting it all yourself?
    Had the driveline fluids changed?
    Power upgrades in the wind?

Ohh, more pix please!
    Thanks
    Exhaust is the turbo back from IPD the had a good deal on the full system (think they still do).
    To answer the later question first I don't have a space or the gear to do it myself, so getting the guys at Swedish prestige in Melb to do it, they're also fitting a do88 at the same time. I've asked them to try and cut the old exhaust as best they can so yeah it should be good to reuse.
    I bought the car second hand had 46k kms so assuming original springs, I haven't thought yet about what to do with the old parts but yeah if you or anyone else are keen can work something out.
    I looked at a full coilover a bit put off by all the stories of how hard they are, so thought I'll go the eibachs first as it's a fairly cheap option in comparison, then see how it feels.
    Haven't had it serviced or anything but. Been reading the trans fluids are a must despite Volvo's "sealed for life" claims so will get them looked at at some stage.
    The car is a semi-daily driver so not going after big power, the exhaust and intercooler should give a few more HP which is on the upper limit of the gearbox.
    Chasing more power will need some cooling for the box and some significant investment. For now happy to see how it goes, maybe down the track when I get bored look at a turbo upgrade 😁

Will definitely post some more pics, including some.before and afters of the springs and exhaust.

Cheers
    Ex850R
    Good philosophy, slow n steady.
    I don't want to go too hard on suspension either, the B12s are a good compromise apparently. Rear sway bar upgrade too iirc.
    Do get the transmission fluid done asap, they need to dump it a little at a time by pumping out and topping up till clear, mine came out smelly and dirty but saved the transmission, made it shift much better.
    Viva have a good range of stuffs for us too.

If we can do a deal on stuff I would be 😊!
    I am keen to start on a proper large diameter downpipe first. I have a machinist to help so all sorts of things can be made!
    Keep us posted please!?
    Before and after pix and video of exhaust sounds would be ace!
    Cheers, Les
    One thing though, you have radar module in grille, I understand you cannot put the bigger intercooler in because of this.Reading of a dude trying it and sending his Do88 back.

I am a fan of air to water intercooler and am going to go that way if I can fit the parts in easily. Something for way down the track.

Maybe a water mist injection system would alleviate the need for a big IC in the first instance?
    Managed to snap a few pics this morning in the driveway. I grabbed some "before" pics and footage this morning as well but I'll wait until I have the afters to post both together :tongue:
    kIZUDLvh.jpg
    Dp0ZGjdh.jpg

Thanks for the heads up on the radiator fitting, I did some research and it seems OK on an S60, maybe just need to turn the mounting bolt for the radar unit around. Apparently someone tried fitting one to an XC70 or similar and facts have become muddied. The guys at Swedish Prestige are Do88 re-sellers so hopefully they'll be able to sort it out if it is a bit tricky. Either way I'll have a definitive answer in a few days, and report back.
    timboEx850Rnugget_940jamesinc
    Nice n shiny,
    My v60 doesn't stay that way for long. It's Donkey grey... So my girls call it. So now it's nickname is Donkey...

I like most of the R Design bits but still not sold on the mirror covers in silver. Each is there own of course!

If Swedish Prestige can take pix it would really add to this post as a resource for others. Not many pix of work being done on P3s at all.
    L.
    It is actually a bit dirty, those photos just hide it well. Not a huge fan of the silver mirrors either, but second hand you get what you get. I thought that was just a colour choice on the black, until you just pointed it out I didn't realise all R Designs had silver mirrors. Thankfully it's fixable.
    I'll ask them, if they can take some shots, not sure how it'll go but yes would be nice to see some progress shots. I guess that's a downside of not doing it yourself.

Cheers
    If you watch the Russian guy do mods to his V70t6 on youtoob he swaps the painted ones for silver RD ones on a silver car! So not too hard or just wrap them.
    I would like piano black console fascia on mine too....
    With the orange seats! I'm looking...
    know1
    Today's addition, Center Console tray thing turned up. I got this one
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-Armrest-Storage-Box-for-2009-2017-Volvo-XC60-S60-S60L-V60-Central-Glove-Tray/323174442705
    tSXIPvdh.jpg
    tI96I0Ch.jpg

Didn't realised until it arrived tonight it's not the one I thought it was, the coin part covers the USB and AUX in socket.
    Not the end of the world as the power output of that socket is woeful anyway, only really needed for updating maps once a year. Looking at somewhere to stick a better charger, possible even a QI charger plate behind the phone keypad console part if I can find something to fit.

For anyone else looking this is probably a better option, it doesn't cover the USB and Aux
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Fit-For-2009-2017-VOLVO-XC60-S60-V60-Arm-Rest-Storage-Box-Console-Glove-Tray/352213169676
  • Hey there, I also live in Melbs with an S60 so watching your thread with interest. I bought a power flex torque mount insert from Swedish Prestige but I haven't got them to do any works on my car yet. How are they? Any reviews of their work so far? I've been using Voldat.

I've got a set of P* tuned springs and struts coming so I'm interested to know if they'll be any better than Voldat to fit them.

How are you going to fit a DP to these cars? Wont' it cause a CEL without a tune?

PS Sound deadening rocks, I badly need to do this! Your speakers would be way more efficient now.
    know1
    The DP will let the engine breathe as it should and should not cause CEL as ecu is capable of adjusting.
    To gain the most from these engines a tune is warranted but the European tunes require ecu be sent over there for decoding whereas the Polestar upgrade from Volvo is a trip to the dealer. It may also have the upgrade to the mod that allows power sharing to rear wheels for a better feel that the PStar cars have, I don't know about that.
    know1
  • It's possible the rear 02 sensor will log a code depending on the quality of the cat convertor but you can just use an 02 spacer on the rear to get it out of the exhaust stream and keep the engine light off. I fit lots to the 3.2 6cyls when they start coding for catalyst efficiency
    know1Ex850RVee_Que
    edited July 2018
    Hey good to see another p3 local.
    I haven't actually used the SP guys yet, the car goes in tomorrow so will have more to report maybe next week. I hadn't actually looked to much into anyone to do the work at first. I ordered all the parts and thought I'll get that in order. When looking at the do88 I saw SP were the resellers it made sense to get them to fit it as it's probably the trickiest bit. Also made sense to get them to do the rest at the same time.
    I have read good things about Voldat though.

IPD's site says it shouldn't throw an error https://www.ipdusa.com/products/12084/139383-ss-high-flow-downpipe-t6-models mine also has the polestar tune which David at SP did ask me (not specifically p* but any tune). Gave me confidence he knew what he was doing. Time will tell though, worst case it's only software so easily fixed.

I didn't do a before and after SPL I should've but IMO sounds better. I used the jaycar stuff about $30 a roll. Took one roll per door an 30-45 mins per door. Trickiest part is the door latch part, requires a bit of force to remove, was frightened I was going to break the plastic.

Cheers
    There is a post I found that gives the optimum equaliser settings for our stereo setups, I will chase it up.
    There is too much bass that takes away amplifier power from the minds and tweets, it's not powerful enough to do a clean job so actually decreasing bass helps to start with.
    I too have a roll of deadener, yet to do.
    But I am going to replace the Chinese speakers with quality ones and investigate the amp connections, see how I can fool the computer setup to run my own quality amp/s. Volvo really dropped the ball on the real hifi sound of the earlier cars with alpine head units and amps with Dynaudio speakers made for volvo, real Swedish sound! My old v70r sounded better for sure.

Can't wait for the updates!
    know1
  • The DP will let the engine breathe as it should and should not cause CEL as ecu is capable of adjusting.
    To gain the most from these engines a tune is warranted but the European tunes require ecu be sent over there for decoding whereas the Polestar upgrade from Volvo is a trip to the dealer. It may also have the upgrade to the mod that allows power sharing to rear wheels for a better feel that the PStar cars have, I don't know about that.

I have done many DPs on turbo cars and whilst it does let the engine "breathe" more it also compromises the ecu tune that was designed for the exact match of intake and exhaust flow. I think its a mistake to assume the ecu will 'adapt' to such a huge change in these parameters. In addition I have noticed that whilst a larger DP and ecu tune will result in more upper range horsepower it also usually causes a drop in low rpm torque which is what makes the car such a good DD.

Also as far as I am aware there is no way to modify the stock haldex on these things to make it more rear wheel biased with a tune in fact I don't believe you can even swap the unit for the P* tuned one.
    know1egads
  • http://www.hpamotorsports.com/touchmotion-awd-programmer

Haldex is not an overly complicated system so they are tuneable, just less common for the Volvo crowd to modify their cars
    know1Ex850RVee_Queegads
    edited July 2018
    There is a post I found that gives the optimum equaliser settings for our stereo setups, I will chase it up.
    I think I've seen the post over on the swedespeed forums, I followed their recommendations and it sounds OK.
    I am going to replace the Chinese speakers with quality ones and investigate the amp connections, see how I can fool the computer setup to run my own quality amp/s. Volvo really dropped the ball on the real hifi sound of the earlier cars with alpine head units and amps with Dynaudio speakers made for volvo, real Swedish sound! My old v70r sounded better for sure.
    I looked at a similar thing, pulled the wiring diagrams and long story short it's a tough change.
    The Volvo's run a MOST setup, specifically MOST25 in my gen car. It means all the comms between the units (ICM, IAM, AUD) is digital, there no oldschool analog audio (well except the final bit to the actual speakers).Pic below
    InFvtDph.png

The std setup the speakers hang off the IAM unit (Integrated Audio Module aka radio/head unit) in the Premium Audio the IAM feeds an Audyssey Labs amp via the MOST bus. To add an amp (or replace) you'd need to get one that talks MOST25 (specifically Volvo's interpretation of the standard), or drive an amp of the high outputs from the head unit. It is possible you could fit the amp from a premium sound car into a std setup, but I haven't seen anything about anyone trying it, but in theory should work as they came out of the factory that way.

The other option is rip out the IAM and replace it with an old school amp, it cant be hooked into the steering wheel though because then all the steering wheel controls don't work for the dash and ICM (The screen in the center with the GPS, etc.). That's also assuming there's a module for the new head unit that will interface into the Volvo SWM.
    WVcKINTh.png

In theory the IAM should only be providing audio but it's possible it does more, or that dropping it upsets the rest of the MOST bus, in which case you'd have to leave it in place and there's nowhere to put a new head unit.

Easiest route I'd suggest, if you can get one cheap is get the Audessy Amp from a Premium setup and see if it will just drop in. They're 650W (5x130W) so reasonable option from standard.

I'm keeping an eye out for a wrecked late model I can get the IAM and related bits out of that has Android Auto/Apple Carplay to see if I can get it to work in the older model.
    I looked at some sort of RasPi or Arduino interfaced onto the MOST bus, but the only interfaces I've seen are US$150+ and no guarantee of interfacing. Plus then all the work reverse engineering the protocol and trying to make something work. You may also have to get the dealer to agree to disable MOST security maybe, not sure if it's on in AU. Apparently can't be done in US but I think that's a policy rather than a technical thing.
    Someone was looking at building an opensource MOST test rig, you can buy the chips (https://www.microchip.com/wwwproducts/en/OS81050) but in order to get any documentation on them you have to join the SMSC standards club at the bargain price of $10-15k per year.

Given more and more cars are moving to digital buses I'm sure more stuff will pop up on the market. Fingers crossed.

Cheers
    just less common for the Volvo crowd to modify their cars
    Haha so right, that's been the major finding since getting my Volvo, there's not a lot of aftermarket, tuning, performance stuff or even good information. Seems Volvo buyers are happy with stock, unlike the Subaru, Toyota, Commonodore crowd.
    timbo
  • @know1 I haven't had much to do with wiring on these models but on the c30/P1 chassis the infotainment module is also a pass through for all the canbus communication to the dash cluster and SWM. SWM holds the terminating resistor for the high speed canbus.
    know1egads