Betty Bertouch_A 240 b230fx

On the weekend I acquired a lovely 240 sedan. A mate moves to NY in less than a weeks time and her poor old 240 went through the pits last week under the scrutinous eye of a fairly judgemental mechanic, leaving her with a few options.
Option A. spend $1500 getting it up to scratch so she can register it and then attempt to sell it all in the space of a week.
Option B. off to the wreckers, a travesty and an option that should be avoided at all costs
Option C. generously donate it to her pal who has a Volvo sized hole in his heart and garage

Its a 1992 auto sedan with a b230fx with a measly 160 000 kms *rains confetti*
The interior is immaculate, no tares, no cracked plastic, all the external trim is there. The body has a few small bumps and bruises but nothing major. The original paint is incredible and there isn't a single indication of any rust anywhere, whatsoever, none, rusto no no. It was purchased new by the previous owner, the late Betty Bertouch, who used it to pick up her milk and up un till my pals purchase 8 years ago had only clocked 80k kms.

30 days to address the following.

1. Oil leak at the rear main seal. This is a bit daunting for me, any advice would be gravy. I'll check the flame trap and see if it keeps leaking. If it comes down to dropping the trans and changing the seal is there anything else I should do while i'm at it? Trans mount i suppose..
2. Rear windows aren't working, i have faith i can service them myself and get them back 'up' and runnning.
3.The front bumper needs a bit of TLC, held in place by timber fixings at the moment. Could repair but may be easier to replace it. Anyone have one?
4. Something about wheel movement, hopefully its just a tie rod and not a bearing.. Either way not the end of the world..

VR2bJqsh.jpg

dw i promise i won't cut the springs on this one..

Comments

• Where in nsw r u?
    I think you need to add i was in an s80 with three wheels getting pulled backwards and was told to "hold on shit is about to get real".
  • Where in nsw r u?

Brookvale, Sydney
  • Lupica motors in morebank
    They will easily have any parts you need in stock
    Cal
  • @Philia_Bear thats epic as I was really hoping to avoid OS shipping delays. Thank you
  • Vee_QueVee_Que (@Vee_Que) South Eastern suburbs Melbourne.
    Bearings are easy to adjust, rear main. You will need to remove the transmission, once it's leaking they don't stop really. The breather boxes on these are not that bad on non turbo applications.
  • jamesincJames (@jamesinc) Oz Volvo Ice Fortress
    FWIW, pressure wash the underside of your car before taking it for inspection :)
    It's an auto I assume? Doing the RMS is pretty straightforward. You want to get all four corners raised up on stands, and you'll need a shitload of socket extensions to get to the top two bellhousing bolts.
    Vee_Quepauljloz
  • Yep its auto @jamesinc the idea of pressure washing the underside worries me a little with the wiring down there, have you ever had any issues doing this? Of course i'd proceed with caution..

thanks @Vee_Que good to know! I'm assuming its best and probably necessary to completely detach the transmission?

Also how rare is this model, being the b230fx w/ black trim? Is it worth restoring to original appose to messing with it in terms of value? Always tempting to do a manual conversion and lowering springs etc..
  • Vee_QueVee_Que (@Vee_Que) South Eastern suburbs Melbourne.
    Ultimately it's your car, a very good low km 240 can be sold for over 5000 by the right person.
    Cal
  • Ex850RSnoopy (@Ex850R) Somewhere Over the Rainbow. Melbourne.
    What's story with the pits. Can you go elsewhere and get another opinion/test?
    What's it cost?
    cancer sucks
  • What's story with the pits. Can you go elsewhere and get another opinion/test?
    What's it cost?

It's cheap, in my experience with cars and bikes if they don't pass you they don't charge you and, someone correct me if i'm wrong, but unless they put it through the system to the RMS you are free to go elsewhere. I'm talking pink not blue slip btw and NSW.
    I am confident I could get it registered as is somewhere else which I may do but I still want to tidy her up.
    Vee_Que
  • Cal (@Cal) wrote: »
    Also how rare is this model, being the b230fx w/ black trim? Is it worth restoring to original appose to messing with it in terms of value? Always tempting to do a manual conversion and lowering springs etc..

Nice! What's the VIN and compliance date? I think all the 93s and possibly 92s as well had the all black trim. I thought only 93s got the FX motor, but it probably depends on build date. Is it a 240 GLE leather seats and power windows, or just a 240 with no extra letters ;)

Helpful link on VIN decoding for 240:
    http://www.volvo200.org/modellen/chassisnummer.htm

Assuming it's a sedan (=244), B230FX (=85), automatic (=7), the VIN should start with
    YV1244857
    Next digit will be N=1992 or P=1993, note these are model years, not date produced or compliance date...so for example we have a model year 93 240 GLE wagon built in Oct 1992, and complied in 7/93...

Looking forward to more pics and following.
    Cal
  • 240240 (@240) Canberra
    Nice, that's pretty much the same as my car only with a lot less km. Is it a GLE?
    I went down the route of manual conversion and lowered suspension (mainly because my auto died, and the suspension was clapped out anyway).
    Obviously you have to pull the box to do the rear seal so that's a good reason to go manual if you ask me...

Assuming it has electric Windows, your problem could possibly just be the switches - pull them apart and clean them, makes a big difference. Once you have the switch out, carefully pop off the top cover (ie the bit that you press) and there is a contact and small ball bearing type thing that need cleaning.
    Or you could do what I did and convert to switches that have an illuminated window icon on them, let me know if you want more details.
    Vee_Que
  • Assuming it's a sedan (=244), B230FX (=85), automatic (=7), the VIN should start with
    YV1244857
    Next digit will be N=1992 or P=1993, note these are model years, not date produced or compliance date...so for example we have a model year 93 240 GLE wagon built in Oct 1992, and complied in 7/93...

Thats fantastic, very helpful.

The vin is: YV1244857P1482981

So we have 244 b230fx auto 1993
    240 (@240) wrote: »
    Nice, that's pretty much the same as my car only with a lot less km. Is it a GLE?

It has power windows, central locking but no leather or electric mirrors so i'm thinking its just a GL...

Thanks for tips mate, i'll spruce them up tonight!
    carnut222
  • edited June 15
    yQaSucoh.jpg

Na7jGOhh.jpg

oXumGdsh.jpg

bUrIkRYh.jpg

cVfz4UYh.jpg

RyPYWj1h.jpg

HfDySsqh.jpg
    Vee_Que
  • That engine bay makes miso happy
    You should be able to clean up that rear quarter pretty well with soft hammers
    Vee_Que
  • You should be able to clean up that rear quarter pretty well with soft hammers

Yeah? Just tap it from the inside? Rubber mallet all I need? Thanks mate

@240 you were right, tidied up the switches and they work now, annoyingly someone had attempted to fix it before me and depacipated one of the switches so will be needing to replace one

Also chasing a navy door pocket and some original speakers
  • 240240 (@240) Canberra
    Glad you resolved it. Just so you know, window switches from a 740 or 940 are compatible too, although they look slightly different.

I think the best thing to do with the speakers is to use good quality aftermarket speakers behind factory Volvo grilles. In 1992 they used 5.25" grilles, although on my car they were stuffed so I got a set of 4" grilles and some Kenwood speakers.
    I might have a spare set of 4" grilles (they require a metal bracket too) if you want them.
    Vee_Que
  • Ex850RSnoopy (@Ex850R) Somewhere Over the Rainbow. Melbourne.
    Ben Kaplan was doing milled /CNC cut grilles at some stage, not sure if on Kaplhenke site still.