2019 Nationals in Bathurst are 8-10 November, just over three months away! Make sure to register at ozvolvo.org/nationals!

Spac's adventures in BMW (was: E36 318ti rally project.

12345679»

Comments

• SpacSpac (@Spac) Canberra-ish.

Today was a big fat fail.

Began with the clutch slipping badly. Kept cutting down the pushrod and it kept getting better.

Got to the point that I thought it was right, then the bloody thing wouldn't start.

It cranks over and fires occasionally, but then struggles like a cylinder is full of water or petrol, or like the ignition timing is too advanced. Spark plugs are all clean and dry, so not a leaky injector or blown head gasket.

It also pops through the exhaust some of the time too.

My best guess at this point is that a crank or cam sensor has died.

• Started trying to work out what it owes me. So here's the regular money post that bores everyone except me.

Actually, your money posts don't bore me. I really like how you demonstrate that thinking things through, and use of imagination and ingenuity quash the notion that deep pockets are needed to have a quick and competitive package.

You're the master of getting bang for bucks.

carnut1100bowie
  • SpacSpac (@Spac) Canberra-ish.

Fixed the Small Car.

The bolts that hold the crank pulley onto the crank hub had come out. The pulley also holds the trigger wheel for the crank angle sensor, hence the timing was all over the shop.

The missing bolts weren't immediately obvious because the tension on serpentine belt held everything in place.

This was 100% my fault, and would have gone wrong when I removed the AC pulley off the crank. Not sure if I misunderstood how it all went together, or if it just got missed in the period of *variable enthusiasm* followed by busting my leg and ignoring it for a few months...

Also managed to do a burnout in the driveway, so it looks like the clutch is working properly.

bowie