XC90 How much would a reconditioned engine/transmission cost for a 2004 Volvo XC90T6

PhoenixJan (@Phoenix) Melbourne
in Troubleshooting 12 / 8joined May 2015
I am beginning to suspect my dad was ripped off on a replacement engine as he has paid $5000 for a replacement engine that the mechanic said only did 60.000km. It always made a ticking sound whenever we accelerated and I also noticed it consumes more oil quickly than the previous engine had consumed.

2 things that went wrong with this car after this particular mechanic replaced its radiator.

1 Engine. Previous engine had a cylinder misfire in one of its cylinders and was told that it would need a replacement engine. Previous engine was also making a knocking sound as if a piston was hitting a plug. We later found one of the plugs has a bent electrode.

2. Transmission. Its transmission has been making a grinding sound just before it changes to a higher gear and also a rattling sound when the car is reversing. The car no longer moves forward or backwards when shifted. My dad's friend told my dad that it might be a computer related problem.

Comments

• 10316 / 84joined Jul 2013
    is there any reason your not considering just buying another T6 without these issues?
    They are pretty much near free at this point
    I think you need to add i was in an s80 with three wheels getting pulled backwards and was told to "hold on shit is about to get real".
  • Ex850RSnoopy (@Ex850R) Somewhere Over the Rainbow. Melbourne.
    10107 / 178joined Jul 2013
    is there any reason your not considering just buying another T6 without these issues?
    They are pretty much near free at this point

This.
    If yours has really nice interior, an independent volvo shop will swap it over for you.
    Plenty on the sales sites.
    Pastry...

"XC90 Jerks.

That a description for me and you bigal?"