New Owner/User | C30 T5

Hey all

Bought myself a used 2008 C30 T5 before Christmas. One of the classic, pre-facelift models.
Payed under $8K for 110,000kms in pretty good nick.
Had to go cheap as the car was a replacement for a writeoff (courtesy of a red light runner) and the payout had to include insurance, rego etc.)

A few niggles and things to be done, which is to be expected on a 10 year old car that I got for a steal.
Needed a new battery, has a couple electrical gremlins like most Euro cars and I'm fairly sure the shocks are on their way out, but these are all things I budgeted for.

Love the car so far. Kind of a shame there were none in manual trim available at the time as the 5 speed auto is a true slushbox, but it gets the job done mostly. Engine is strong and sounds great, looking forward to getting a tune and exhaust as they're very conservative from the factory.

Got mine in red and the previous owner blacked out the wheels.
G64M2sf.jpg

Things to be done are exhaust and tune as mentioned. New wheels and rubber, since the 7inch stockies with 205s need more meat and already struggle for grip. PS3s should do the trick.
Still deciding whether to just do the shocks are go all out and put coilovers all round. We'll see.

But that basic sort of stuff should see me through for a while. At least until I get bored and decide on a Turbo upgrade, built motor etc.

Cheers
egads

Comments

• Looks good, welcome!
  • Nice! These cars are good value now. We've had our 2008 T5 R-design for about 6 years now and it's been very reliable needing only regular oil, filter, brake fluid, & coolant changes, plus a new AC condenser due to stone piercing it and a new fuel pressure sensor (apparently a fairly common failure part). It's due for the 10 year timing belt change now...something yours will need too if not already done. With the 6-speed manual and conservative driving we've averaged about 7 L/100 km overall. Also have the TME tune from Mark Richardson at VP Tuning and love it.
    Vee_Que
  • It's due for the 10 year timing belt change now...something yours will need too if not already done
    Fairly sure it needs to be done, I'll have a look at the service book when I'm next in the car.
    Might get them to do that and the shocks all at once. Ugh, money.

The VP Tuning tuning kit looks great, did you get both the exhuast and the tune and could you notice any difference in fuel economy compared to stock?
    I do all city driving, a lot of it in moderate to heavy traffic and I'm running 11.4L/100km with a pretty heavy foot. Still in the enjoyment phase of ownership; using the power when I can, so pretty good economy considering.
  • We just got the tune, not exhaust. If anything fuel economy got better, but obviously in traffic it gets up closer to 10. I do like to give it the occasional full throttle run but on the current crappy tyres it overwhelms the traction control. Note ours has the optional 18 inch wheels with 215-45 tyres. I'd like to upgrade the shocks at some stage...probably also needs front lower control arm bushes as well. I did upgrade the lower engine torque rod bushing to the stiffer later production type. That bushing is really soft so might be worth upgrading on yours too. Maybe not as much of an issue on the automatic.
  • Welcome! I love these little things. Looking forward to seeing it without those awful black wheels.
  • edited January 15
    Looking forward to seeing it without those awful black wheels.
    Yeah, they're just plastidip over the stock alloys. Honestly I don't mind them too much.....eh, I'm not a huge fan of the stock 17s anyway so they'll do me for now. I mostly just want a new wheels for more grip. 205s are on there atm with a set of Bob Jane something-a-rathers.

An 8 inch rim should fit on these cars right, that's not a great deal wider than the stock 7s.
    And any recommendations for brands or specific wheels that look good on Volvos? Am I best looking for a set of R-Design wheels or going aftermarket do you reckon?

I'm pretty keen to start doing stuff to it, but money's a bit tight at the moment, so purely in the planning stage.
  • 18x8 with a 235 has been my plan on my S40 for a while now Fifteen52 was selling rims in aus but has now left from what I can see...

If your going to call around... just say you have a Focus XR5 that you want rims for... as far more people seem interested in selling you XR5 rims over rims for a Volvo...
    I think you need to add i was in an s80 with three wheels getting pulled backwards and was told to "hold on shit is about to get real".
    Vee_Que
  • haha good shout re: XR5.

Yeah the wheel design is fine, just need the plastidip gone for my taste :)

I've got a set of Orestes wheels off an S60 that i'm getting rid of now, but they're not very flash. @Philia_Bear had put his hand up for them ages ago (?), will otherwise be eBaying soon.
  • 18x8 with a 235 has been my plan on my S40
    I'll end up doing something similar probably. 18x8 and throw a 245 around it. I ran 225 on a 7inch rim on my previous car so 245s on an 8 shouldn't cause any problems.
    I do really need more rubber, any time I give the car anything from a set of lights it lights up the front tyres and I look like a yob even though I've hardly given it any boot :lol:

Definitely needs to be done before a tune, because 200kw and 400+nm will be so much worse.

Good tip on asking about an XR5 for rims. I've been looking around the forum and a lot of the XR5 parts and after-market bits are a straight bolt on to a C30. Mazda MPS rear bar is also a bolt-on so I hear.

Also any recommendations for shocks? Was looking at Bilstein B8s and a set of Eibach springs to go along with.
  • 18x8 with a 235 has been my plan on my S40
    I'll end up doing something similar probably. 18x8 and throw a 245 around it. I ran 225 on a 7inch rim on my previous car so 245s on an 8 shouldn't cause any problems.
    I do really need more rubber, any time I give the car anything from a set of lights it lights up the front tyres and I look like a yob even though I've hardly given it any boot :lol:

Definitely needs to be done before a tune, because 200kw and 400+nm will be so much worse.

Good tip on asking about an XR5 for rims. I've been looking around the forum and a lot of the XR5 parts and after-market bits are a straight bolt on to a C30. Mazda MPS rear bar is also a bolt-on so I hear.

Also any recommendations for shocks? Was looking at Bilstein B8s and a set of Eibach springs to go along with.

How much ride quality do you care about in your suspension and how much absolute traction do you want?
  • How much ride quality do you care about in your suspension and how much absolute traction do you want?
    I'd say a semi-aggressive road set-up is what I'm looking for. Track it once in a blue moon then drive it home.
    I'm probably more concerned with traction than outright cornering ability, as that comes into play more often on the street, where the car lives.
  • How much ride quality do you care about in your suspension and how much absolute traction do you want?
    I'd say a semi-aggressive road set-up is what I'm looking for. Track it once in a blue moon then drive it home.
    I'm probably more concerned with traction than outright cornering ability, as that comes into play more often on the street, where the car lives.

Diff is more important of an upgrade than suspension if your after that form of traction

Work on the bushings as a priority as well
    Vee_QueSteadfst
  • Welcome to the forums
    Thanks, heaps of good info and great people so far.

Anyone know the prices for VP Tuning? Could be missing something on the site, or should I just shoot them an email?
  • Ex850RSnoopy (@Ex850R) Somewhere Over the Rainbow. Melbourne.
    Welcome to the forums

Anyone know the prices for VP Tuning? Could be missing something on the site, or should I just shoot them an email?

Call Voldat, Mark works from there.
    cancer sucks
  • Vee_QueVee_Que (@Vee_Que) South Eastern suburbs Melbourne.
    Welcome to the forums

I'd email him.
  • E-mailed Mark, quoted $1275 for a tune that I can load onto the car myself. Means partitioning my Laptop to run XP, but that's easier than driving to Melbourne. (I'm in Newcastle)

On another note, the manual gear selector (+ & -) for the auto transmission is out of commission. Is this a known issue on these cars or just a little gremlin that's showed up? If it's easy to fix I'll give it a crack myself, I've had some experience with electrics, but if it's complex I'll leave it to a professional.

Also I've noticed a weird little electric motor-esque noise from the engine bay on first start up the last couple of mornings. Only first start up of the day and disappears after 10-30 seconds.
    Seems to be coming from the back-right corner of the engine bay (when looking at the bay from the front of the car) around where the battery and strut tower are.

Any idea what it might be? Will see if i can get a clip of it next time it happens.
  • Theres a 12v vacuum pump for the brakes near the battery which could be the noise you're noticing. There is a check valve that perishes and can cause it to run more often than it needs to, follow the plastic line from the rh side of intake manifold.
    The only problems i have come across with the shifters is the plastic concertina/shift gate collapsing and jamming up the mechanism.
    Vee_Que
  • My v50 has the same shifter issue, the plastic concertina falls apart and you lose manual mode, I did read on a forum that there is a small magnet in the concertina part that triggers manual mode.

Volvo 8699465 is the part required, $15USD from fcp, I have ordered by not fitted yet.

I have also had intermittent problems with the vacuum pump, if car sits for too long, upon first start the brakes will be unassisted until enough vacuum builds up for the booster. Has happened twice now in 12 months.

You can test it by removing car key, pumping brakes a bunch of times to deplete vacuum stored, then placing key in ignition, as soon as key goes in the hole the vacuum pump should run for a few seconds.
  • Volvo 8699465 is the part required, $15USD from fcp, I have ordered by not fitted yet.
    Is that part for a right hand drive car? That shop is US so presumably their parts would be for LHD and the shifter mechanism would be opposite. Push from left to right for geartronic instead of right to left?
    carnut222