Catch Can Install 5 cylinder turbo

I am on the downside of 71, retired and live in the Philippines.

Recently bought a 1998 V70, beautiful car and it looks way newer than it's age. Purchased from the original owner and he kept the body and interior in excellent condition. Paint still has lots of shine and the interior is like new. PLUS everything works!!!

From there it goes downhill!!! YOU name it and it has been replaced due to age or neglect. But, the engine is remarkably strong and it burns no oil!!!

The PCV has become clogged and I want to do away with it and install a catch can system. NEED good and complete instructions and an installation diagram would be a huge help….ANYBODY???

Thanx, PILar

Comments

• Replace the effing pcv, parts for it are still dirt cheap

Because of the design you can't just easily bypass or replace it

You in manila or somewhere else?
    I think you need to add i was in an s80 with three wheels getting pulled backwards and was told to "hold on shit is about to get real".
    Vee_Que
  • Where can you get reasonable parts here???

In the west end of Cavite..
  • Where can you get reasonable parts here???

In the west end of Cavite..

Rockauto.com pick only uro branded parts and everything will come from one warehouse
    Delivery is probably more than the parts but the parts are dirt cheap
  • Cavite is an amazing place to retire
    I'm jealous
  • OK, so yo YOUbuy part online. I have done one hell of a lot of that and it's ridiculous!!

This is my 4th Volvo! Others put lots of miles on them and drove them all for a number of years without any real problems but they were all well maintained. 2 words are not in the vocabulary here, maintenance and accountability!!!

So you are saying what I would like to do cannot be done? Have been reading where it's supposedly been done stateside and passed emmissions....

Where are you?
  • OK, so yo YOUbuy part online. I have done one hell of a lot of that and it's ridiculous!!

This is my 4th Volvo! Others put lots of miles on them and drove them all for a number of years without any real problems but they were all well maintained. 2 words are not in the vocabulary here, maintenance and accountability!!!

So you are saying what I would like to do cannot be done? Have been reading where it's supposedly been done stateside and passed emmissions....

Where are you?

Previously USA based and now Australia based
    I've got about 150 employees based in manila that I visit pretty regularly so I get to see large parts of the area each time I come

You can put a catch can in on the line between the motor and the intake
    However if the pcv box is clogged then it's going to kill the motor sooner than later as the whiteblocks are stupid sensitive to crankcase pressure
  • Btw you can easily clean the pcv out using a couple cans of carb cleaner. It's not hard... Just make sure you have some extra 5/8 heater hose, hose clamps, and an intake manifold gasket sitting around

It's sub $80 For the parts (+shipping) and with a fresh pcv on the car it will last for 10years
    I've never seen the point on cheaping out on the pcv
    I do see the point on being cheap everywhere else

Btw pcv is NOT a regulrar maintenance item on a Volvo so they are just a fix it when it clogs thing
    Vee_Que
  • What do you do in Manila???

I spent several years in Bicol and what a difference. It's like night and day up here...Plus where I am is really super special....

I am too old to be crawling under a car and besides no tools or a place to work on it. Have a fairly decent mechanic but this is one thing he knows nothing about. There has to be a better, more efficient way of doing it. Just did the glove test on the car and have loosened the dip stick to relieve some of the pressure.
  • I will redo the PCV but still want to add the catch can to it. Where can I get instructions plus a drawing???
  • What do you do in Manila???

I spent several years in Bicol and what a difference. It's like night and day up here...Plus where I am is really super special....

I am too old to be crawling under a car and besides no tools or a place to work on it. Have a fairly decent mechanic but this is one thing he knows nothing about. There has to be a better, more efficient way of doing it. Just did the glove test on the car and have loosened the dip stick to relieve some of the pressure.

I've got an IT support team there, I'm only there about 2 weeks a year on 2 trips but it's always fun
  • jrcjJohn C (@jrc) Lindfield NSW
    Just clarifying Bear those are all the parts you need for the B5254 pcv cleanout- 21 y old/ 252000km-hose to replace clogged hose; manifold gasket and some clamps - i dont need to get FCPs PCV kit for US 220?
  • I put one on mine. Its collecting plenty even without a separator.
    All you need is intake gasket, large enough and long enough hosing, hose clamps, mini air filter, some type cleaner and of course catch can.
    Take off your intake manifold
    Take off pcv
    Clean pcv
    Attach new hosing to pcv output
    Attach to catch can
    Filter on catch can
    Block off intake ports
    I'll try upload a pic...
    I did it this way for ease, still using the factory catch I can put it back to factory easy.
  • Around $100 for this setup.