LED conversion

CanoeCanoe @Canoe Sydney,NSW.
edited October 2017 in General
Hope this is on the right place to ask this.
I have wanted for a while to convert normal rear light globes in my 240, into LED's. Indicators and red rear light.
What i was going to do, was use the existing globes, brakes the glass of and use the positive, negative prongs going to the filament. Then get the LED and use the prongs to connect the LED in some way.
Ive looked at other "conversion" replacements, but they are pathetic. But this was 2 years ago and LEDs have come a long way since then.
So if anyone knows of superior LEDs that might do the job...or who to talk to, please let me know.
I have an LED torch, and the single LED which is only 3mm square in that is a "retina burner".
Thanks in advance.
bgpzfm142

Comments

• lasercowboyRico @lasercowboy SE Suburbs, Melbourne
    If you go down the path of using the existing bulb bases, you'll need to use LED modules that have appropriate resistors to limit the current draw, or add your own resistors. This is to say that most 'normal' LEDs require some kind of resistor when plugged into 12V.

A better choice is to go for LED replacement bulbs that have the right fittings to directly replace the 240's current incandescents. They exist, and they're really good if you choose carefully.
    Vee_Que
  • I saw this mentioned somewhere the other day. It might have been the comments section of IPD/FCP. There were comments about some LED replacements (with the fittings to replace standard bulbs), causing the 'bulb-out'/balance sensor (sorry, whatever it's called) turning on. Someone else then said they bought a particular brand which didn't cause that.
  • A better choice is to go for LED replacement bulbs that have the right fittings to directly replace the 240's current incandescents. They exist, and they're really good if you choose carefully.

Dont leave me hangin bro! :-)
    You must have some examples in mind to say that?
  • Ex850RSnoopy @Ex850R Somewhere Over the Rainbow. Melbourne.
    Any fiddling with 240 wiring causes bulb failure warning light! The wiring is shit at this age..

Weekends fruitlessly fixing wagon rear wires and contact boards and busted bulb holders, them failing and at one ointment, a torch stuck in the rhs so I didn't get rear ended in the mad rush to work at 6am on dark country roads of hundreds of construction crew,and in winter rain...
    I would have paid for direct drop in light backing parts, led would be best!

Do t recal seeing someone doing breadboard clusters to go in. And be sure to rewire the whole thing back to the source/switches.
  • Ointment. Gotta love spell check.
    Ex850R
  • Out of interest what is your reasoning for upgrading?
    As @lasercowboy pointed out, there are direct click-in LED replacements available which would be easier than using your own LEDs. I have seen some that come with some sort of device you're meant to wire in as well, I assume it's some sort of resistor.

The 240's dash warning light works by detecting a different amount of resistance in the circuit to what is normal; LEDs have different resistance to incandescent globes which is why the light can go off.

A random thought - it would be cool to somehow fit 240s with a 'ring' of LEDs in each position, like many modern cars have!
    Vee_Que
  • 240 @240 wrote: »
    Out of interest what is your reasoning for upgrading?

I hate how dark the rear red lights are. Even when working properly. I want them super bright, without hurting peoples eyes. A lot of cars made in the last 2 years have LED rear lights and indicators of LEDs.
    I love the safety of being seen.
    The brighter they are are, the easier for idiots to see them while they are texting and driving.

Maybe mine a dark-ish because the globes/ rear plastic is old, or the earth is not good...or the wiring is old.

To have them bright without the heat of the incandescent globes also appeals.

But i like the idea of using a lot less power for more light. All of the above. :-)
    If there are direct click in replacements, Id look at them.

• Vee_QueVee_Que @Vee_Que South Eastern suburbs Melbourne.
    They become blinding when bright though. The issue is more your reflector than the globes. But Phillips etc make led globes now. It wont fix the issue.
  • edited October 2017
    On the subject of taillights... those of you with this style:

41ZrdVgPJxL._SX425_h.jpg
    ... Does only one of the six bulbs/sections light up when you touch the brake? I didn't realise until I place a mirror behind the car, that all that red - but only one globe each side for the brake! That's why I was looking at LEDs recently myself - to find a way to install one in the blank hole, so the car has two sections light up.
  • @familyman depends on what year your car is made in. Until about 86, only one globe on each side lit up for the brake. After that they changed the circuit board layout and had two globes light up. (I can't remember which though.)
    Maybe someone's swapped your lights out for earlier ones? There should be a date stamp on the outside somewhere.
  • ... Does only one of the six bulbs/sections light up when you touch the brake? I didn't realise until I place a mirror behind the car, that all that red - but only one globe each side for the brake! That's why I was looking at LEDs recently myself - to find a way to install one in the blank hole, so the car has two sections light up.

Ive got a 92 240. But i want ALL red areas lit up. With the LEDs drawing less power, i was hoping to splice into the already existing wires, and the LEDs running of the wires, they would not draw more power.

But esp for the third middle rear brake light in the rear window. Love that to have two stages of function...and extra brightness.

• Volvo do some real weird shit with the wiring up of incandescent globes and you'll find that out real quick with the brake lights. On my 240 the left side was all ok, but the right side was wired so that the earth went to the power side of the holder and the power went to the earth side, this on the board. Don't know if the later 6 lamp setup is any different but its easy to tell just following the wiring.

I ended up rewiring to the "correct " way so I could run LEDs, but had to insulate one side of the holder, found the same issue with the R sport dash lights.

As long as you replace all the globes together, stop and tail, it shouldn't set up a fault with the light out system due to all the globes pulling equal wattage.

Also you cant fit LEDs to the front park/DRLs due to the way they are wired up. If you want to run LEDs you will need to rewire them using a relay with 87/87a so when the light are turned on the DRLs turn off and visa versa. Too much rooting around for me.
    Vee_Quebgpzfm142
  • I swapped the tail light bulbs on my S60 for LEDs and it started to warn me about bulb failure every time I switched the lights on. The main reason for the swap was to avoid changing bulbs as frequently, so I just put the old ones back in. Not much point having to check manually every time which is more effort than changing a failed bulb.

If your old 240 can accept drop in replacements without showin a bulb failure, just look on ebay. I paid less than AU$2 for a pair.
  • Vee_QueVee_Que @Vee_Que South Eastern suburbs Melbourne.
    The cheap LEDs do not actually function correctly, they use the same intensity LEDs but light more up. This just confuses the people behind you. I know I laugh when I see it.

You want then to be two stage led. So the intensity increases.

You can use 10w Park globes to do a similar job. But as I said. the reflector design on the taillights are not great so they will never be that bright unless you increase thier reflectiveness. As well as the lens itself.
    carnut1100
  • Tried LED gloves in the 242.
    Took them out again.
    Worse than original.
    Got a different design LED globes in the tails of the Disconany they're ok.
    Really to make 240 tails work you'll need to slice up the housings, ditch the reflectors and make a panel of LEDs with pwm brightness control.
    jamesincEx850Rbgpzfm142Vee_Que
  • Ex850RSnoopy @Ex850R Somewhere Over the Rainbow. Melbourne.
    Tried LED gloves in the 242.
    Took them out again.
    Worse than original.
    Got a different design LED globes in the tails of the Disconany they're ok.
    Really to make 240 tails work you'll need to slice up the housings, ditch the reflectors and make a panel of LEDs with pwm brightness control.

Where is that mod post from turbo bricks that used breadboard?