The 2018 National Meet in Canberra is less than two months away! Register here. Full details here.

Black Unicorn, S40 T5 AWD M66

I recently flew down to Canberra with my old man to pick this up and drive it back home to Brisbane.

2006 Volvo S40 T5 AWD
6sp manual
Black out
Black in

Saw it advertised on Saturday 16 September after already having paid a deposit to buy XR5 turbo from Perth. I called the guy on Sunday and we exchanged phone calls over the next few days. I tried to get a friend to look at it early in the week, but he was tied up. Knowing how rare they are I decided to take a chance and sent the seller a deposit and booked the flights for Friday night. Not even a week had passed since it was advertised.

Some crappy photos.

513ced890271354555867d0316634c2b.jpgf88a7242bc638e04c526ff7aa1406244.jpg299d9b7511a9154a57b5a0ef93b31da0.jpg9d17dac77b7c4a85180eb512a57f9b73.jpg

Before I'd even arrived in Canberra and laid my own eyes on the car, I'd purchased a Bilstein B16 PSS9 coilover kit from Demon Tweeks in the UK on sale for about $500 less than they were advertised elsewhere. I messaged with Philia Bear here and am assured this will work in an AWD. He also went to great lengths to explain the comfort sacrifice is massive!

Then on the drive home it demonstrated some un-Volvo-like sketchyness through the front end particularly when going across full lane width perpendicular bumps.

So the credit card came out for new genuine front control arms, and strut top mounts and bearings.

Figured since I was throwing new shocks in the rear I better get new genuine rear strut top mounts

On a forum I'm on someone commented about the worn gear knob. The roadworthy guy passed it, but said I needed a new brake pedal pad. And on the drive home I didn't find myself enamoured with the steering wheel. So new R-design steering wheel, leather and alloy gear knob and alloy R-design pedal pads it is.

Naturally, the a/c is playing up. Which the seller did disclose to me. A bit of research reveals it is a pretty common problem where the clutch wears on the compressor. New compressor clutch and shims.

The drivers seatbelt receiver is difficult to get engagement. New seatbelt stalk.

I slipped on the do88 site and accidentally bought a new intercooler.

An intercooler is nothing without a matching exhaust so I ordered a 3" turbo flange so I can get a mate of mine to custom readily make a system for me. Very few off the shelf AWD systems available.

No doubt I'm going to get some gremlins, so better get a VIDA DICE unit.

I pulled the trigger on an Elevate turbo intake system.

I'm going to use this vehicle a bit, so I needed to upgrade the sound system a little to allow full Bluetooth streaming. I ended up taking a chance on the Bluepower BLP-990 system. I've read mixed reviews, so I'll see how it pans out.

Also on a recommendation I saw here, I picked up an e-Focus torque mount.

And right now there is more than one browser tab open researching ECU tuning options.

And all that is before I give it a good going over changing all the different fluids (gearbox, angle drive, haldex, rear diff - wtf??)

Anyway, it's like Christmas at the moment with packages arriving from all over the world.

Buy a Volvo they said........

*sigh*

Comments

• You don't do things by halves do you! lol. I have to get packages delivered to the office to sneak them home before I get hung drawn and quatered. Ha ha.

I can't wait to see how this one goes! I'm curiuous about the Bluepower head unit. I love the idea but for the expense I would expect it to be perfect. It seems to have some frustrating issues with the touch screen (from some of the reviews I've seen). Hopefully you have a better expereince.

Good luck with the build mate.
    My car - It's funny to see a post about from before I joined Ozvolvo!..... https://ozvolvo.org/discussion/2709/
  • All of my packages have come to work as well LOL!

Well, I had a budget for a new purchase. And I know I'll never keep a car stock so I'd kept a mod kitty aside. So when this came up for what I thought was a good price, it was about 2/3 of the price I was paying for the XR5 which left a lot more money in the kitty for mods. I figure I better spend it before someone else does!
    Vee_Que
  • All of my packages have come to work as well LOL!

Well, I had a budget for a new purchase. And I know I'll never keep a car stock so I'd kept a mod kitty aside. So when this came up for what I thought was a good price, it was about 2/3 of the price I was paying for the XR5 which left a lot more money in the kitty for mods. I figure I better spend it before someone else does!

I totally understand. My shortlist was a XR5, 3 MPS, Forrester XT (the old shape) or a Liberty wagon. I had been looking for a V50 AWD manual for a year and basically gave up so was looking at everything else out there when my car came up. Basically did the same thing as you - locked in the purchase, flew down to Adelaide, inspected it and drove it back to Sydney.

I'm still yet to mod anything but I'm quietly accumulating parts for the moment :)
    Vee_Que
  • I had a couple of Carsales searches setup for S40 and V50 manual AWD. But since nothing had come up, I'd decided on the XR5 and had paid the deposit, just had to make the final transfer and organise shipping. When the email alert came to my phone on that Saturday afternoon I was torn immediately, but I knew I wanted it.
    sucksqueezebangblowVee_Que
  • Thats awesome. Looks like a great pick up - I'm sure you won't regret it.
    Vee_Que
  • Had all my new suspension bits and pieces fitted yesterday.

Holy crap, @Philia_Bear wasn't wrong when he said the Bilsteins are stiff. It is the most bizarre sensation. The springs and shocks are super tight, but with all new bushes, ball joints and strut tops, there is no banging or crashing.

I'm definitely going to have play with the settings on the rear shocks, way too stiff. When both rear wheels hit a bump at the same time it feels like it launches the rear into the air.

I also had the new a/c compressor clutch fitted which seems to have resolved the issues with that thankfully.

The R-design pedals, gear knob and steering wheel were nice additions and have made the driving experience just that little bit nicer. And finally, I also decided to replace the tired looking aluminium centre console and door pull trims with new Nordic Light Oak to complete the Swedish feel. It's not to everyone's taste, but I feel like the cabin is a very nice place to be right now and I'm really enjoying driving the car. Just have to fit the Blupower head unit and I think I'll be done for awhile.

Not going to proceed with performance upgrades at this stage. Look out for an Elevate Intake and Do88 Intercooler to hit the market shortly......
  • Had all my new suspension bits and pieces fitted yesterday.

Holy crap, @Philia_Bear wasn't wrong when he said the Bilsteins are stiff. It is the most bizarre sensation. The springs and shocks are super tight, but with all new bushes, ball joints and strut tops, there is no banging or crashing.

I'm definitely going to have play with the settings on the rear shocks, way too stiff. When both rear wheels hit a bump at the same time it feels like it launches the rear into the air.

I also had the new a/c compressor clutch fitted which seems to have resolved the issues with that thankfully.

The R-design pedals, gear knob and steering wheel were nice additions and have made the driving experience just that little bit nicer. And finally, I also decided to replace the tired looking aluminium centre console and door pull trims with new Nordic Light Oak to complete the Swedish feel. It's not to everyone's taste, but I feel like the cabin is a very nice place to be right now and I'm really enjoying driving the car. Just have to fit the Blupower head unit and I think I'll be done for awhile.

Not going to proceed with performance upgrades at this stage. Look out for an Elevate Intake and Do88 Intercooler to hit the market shortly......

@bahaimus
    Told u so on the suspension :-)

I will happily buy the intake and intercooler off u as well
    I think you need to add i was in an s80 with three wheels getting pulled backwards and was told to "hold on shit is about to get real".
    Vee_Que
  • MizuyakiMizuyaki (@Mizuyaki) Western Australia
    If sale with Phil falls through count me keen on the intercooler as well.

Where abouts are you located?
  • If sale with Phil falls through count me keen on the intercooler as well.

He is in QLD and I literally have the cash sitting next to me waiting to exchange for parts this evening :-)
    Mizuyaki
  • MizuyakiMizuyaki (@Mizuyaki) Western Australia
    If sale with Phil falls through count me keen on the intercooler as well.

He is in QLD and I literally have the cash sitting next to me waiting to exchange for parts this evening :-)

Hahaha you're literally the worst! Quit stealing the car parts I want 😂
  • Just have to fit the Blupower head unit and I think I'll be done for awhile.

Have you got that Bluepower unit installed yet? I'm thinking about the new Android one but it's so much money I'm thinking I'll just get the exhaust done instead! ha ha I will wait and see how the reviews on the new unit sound though before I make that call.
  • I haven't yet, but I want to soon. I've actually been tempted to sell the one I have and buy the Android version - you know, latest and greatest etc.........
  • If you get most of your money back I'd probably sell it. Then again I haven't seen a single review on the new one yet so we will have to wait and see if it's actually better. Given how much it costs I really want to make sure it's as good as it can be before I consider dropping some money on it.
  • edited August 6
    So rather than drop money into mods, I've been draining the bank account on what appears to have been a whole lot of unattended to maintenance lately.

The battery died unexpectedly as they do.

Then I had what I thought was a whistling sound coming from the engine bay. A bit of googling suggested it was the diaphram in the PCV system contained within the oil filter housing. Given where it was located in the engine bay and there was no history of the timing belt having been replaced even with only 113k kms on it, I figured it was a good idea to get the timing belt, water pump and tensioner done as well. Noting scrimped, all new genuine Volvo parts of course.

Naturally, while the parts were in transit, it turns out the whistling was actually more of a whining sound coming from the alternator which died a sudden and smoky death. Surprisingly, you can't buy a new alternator from Volvo, only an exchange reconditioned unit. And they will relieve you of over $900 just for the part..........And because there were three alternator revisions across the life of the S40, it seems the only way to be certain of getting the right part is to buy from Volvo.

Then just this weekend, I bit the bullet and replaced the pads and rotors all round with slotted DBA rotors and some recommended ceramic pads.

So at this stage I think I've pretty much replaced all the common things that go wrong or wear out on these. Next thing is a full replacement of the driveline fluids and identify an annoying but intermittent clunk in the rear suspension.

A word to the wise, if you buy a car without sighting the service history, just because the owner decided to replace the tyres with some nice flash Pirelli P-Zeros does not necessarily mean they have been as lavish in the other areas of maintenance and upkeep.

I've changed jobs recently, and I'm starting to do more kms in this than I'd like. So sometime in the next 12 months or so it will probably be for sale. Whoever buys it from me certainly won't be buying into an unknown situation like I did!
    timboegads
  • Damn that must have cost a pretty penny! Unfortunately when cars get to this age the lack of maintenance can suddenly creep up on the 2nd or 3rd owner... My clutch is slipping now so I'm looking at another similarly expensive exercise at the minute but hopefully nothing else goes wrong!

Might be time to buy a cheap and boring commuter and get the S40 to full race mode ;)
  • Ex850RSnoopy (@Ex850R) Somewhere Over the Rainbow. Melbourne.
    For sale you say?
    What is the price range?
    I need a car in a minute for my daughter and her girlfriend to drive in a few months I think.
    Pastry...

"XC90 Jerks.

That a description for me and you bigal?"
  • @Ex850R are either of these folks probationary? If so, all but the last T5s are banned in Vic. Don't worry, you can buy my broken D5 :)
  • Ex850RSnoopy (@Ex850R) Somewhere Over the Rainbow. Melbourne.
    Sure! Cheap accounting for a motor swap soonish?
    Actually one is off OS, one a learner!
  • Depends how you define cheap Les :)

Mark has offered me $3k, one dealer (non-Volvo) $4k on a (brand new) car but I haven't had time to chase a better deal yet.

Berry estimate $6k end to end for the swap - that was Graeme. Mark said $7 (but then he was trying to sell me a car at the time lol) and I didn't put the hard word on them to do mates rates.

Still unsure which way to go - sell it off to someone who knows what they're getting into for cheaps and go to a dealer with a straight cash negotiation or do the dance on a trade in knowing someone at the other end is likely to get screwed like I did. The latter is more financially rewarding but my ethical radar is going off...
    Ex850RVee_Que
  • $50 says you would get >$7k at auction