Introducing Viktoria, 1974 Volvo 164E

Comments

• Rob (@Rob) wrote: »
    An aw70 240 one could have been fitted if it's the earlier type aw71l

nah, this one was very different under the extension housing. The speedo gear/ extension housing etc from an AW55 fitted up to the AW71 I had as a mockup gearbox though.

It will have the big bearing inside if it's the later box. The earlier one is the same by my experience.

Correct
  • What is the significance of this?
    OldnDecrepit
    Current: 1990 Gold Volvo 740GLE "Inga"; 1996 Gold Volvo 960 "Sofia"; 1998 Saffron Pearl Volvo C70 "Sonja"; 1974 Wattle Yellow Volvo 164 "Viktoria"
    Previous: 1996 960 "Olga"; 1999 C70T5 "Britt".
  • Vee_QueVee_Que (@Vee_Que) South Eastern suburbs Melbourne.
    You can run a normal speedo drive from the box using a few 240 84-86 gearbox parts.
    bgpzfm142
  • RobRob (@Rob) - Lockyer Valley, SE Qld
    You can run a normal speedo drive from the box using a few 240 84-86 gearbox parts.

I wasnt 100% sure but suspected this may be the case, at a minimum you would need to change out the output shaft, extension housing, drive flange, speedo output gear rear bearing, etc.

If you were having the AW71L rebuilt it would be worth doing. It means complete disassembly of the transmission though as the output shaft needs to be changed from the inside.

I do have all of the parts needed to do it that you are welcome to if you ever want to go down that path. It may even be worth having it done to your spare transmission and then swapping them out at some stage?
    This has the later box with the flange, the earlier box would work. Not hard to pull apart and change. At least for me anymore.
  • edited September 25
    Fixing the speedo will have to wait as I have acquired a new instrument pod for Viktoria.

ENDqS62h.jpg

The tacho of this pod will have to be modded too as it's designed for the 4 cylinder.
    carnut222Ex850RVee_Queab1AshDVSnugget_940Rob242GTbgpzfm142
  • The tachometer is electric, and an adapter is stupid simple.

Go to this site: http://www.ashlocktech.com.

The product is Tach-Adapt. It changes the timing of the tachometer, and can go from 4-cyl to 6-cyl. Lots of Porsche guys use it when converting a 912 to 911, and 914s to 916s. They are $65.00 USD.

I have one for my NOS GT Instrument cluster for my 164, but have not installed it yet.

David Riedle
    USA
    Ex850ROldnDecrepitegadsbgpzfm142
  • Many thanks David. Apparently there are adjustment pots in the tacho but they might not be enough to adapt it. This is very useful.
  • 242GT242GT (@242GT) Wollongong NSW
    Many years ago I had a white 1973 164E factory 5speed, great cars, I got a holden 308 electric fan and a Davis Craig thermo fan kit and put it on to help the engine in summer worth its weight in gold as the straight 6 can run hot in summer.

Nolothane used to do suspension bushes, I had Bilstein shocks and springs all round in mine.

Used to tow my 144 race car to Wakefield Park with it.
    OldnDecrepit
  • RobRob (@Rob) - Lockyer Valley, SE Qld
    edited September 30
    Many years ago I had a white 1973 164E factory 5speed, great cars, I got a holden 308 electric fan and a Davis Craig thermo fan kit and put it on to help the engine in summer worth its weight in gold as the straight 6 can run hot in summer.

Nolothane used to do suspension bushes, I had Bilstein shocks and springs all round in mine.

Used to tow my 144 race car to Wakefield Park with it.

split into a seperate thread :)

https://ozvolvo.org/discussion/9601/the-old-140-days
    Thanks for that I don't know how to do that
    sWFWOIeh.jpg
    Sorry but my spare is a designated 4cyl as shown in stamping on taco "4zyl".
    I have seen them in the past as 6zyl but rare as.
    Best use an adaptor.
    Actually if you contact Roger through his eBay site I reckon he can help you.

• Thanks, have been in touch and am sourcing a 6 cylinder unit.
  • On Monday I drove Viktoria to GLT Car Centre for some attention.

Cruising in overdrive (4th gear) on the freeway at 2200revs makes it a lot quieter drive. Just need to get that AC working again.

I originally booked her in for a tune-up but Peer now has a list of about a dozen things to look at, including the brakes, AC, water pump, heater control valve.

So far the biggest ticket item (about $500) is the brake booster which needs refurbishment. I should get her back some time next week.

In the meantime Sofia, my 1996 Volvo 960, is back in my hands after being loaned out to a friend.
    bgpzfm142Ex850R
  • Picked up Viktoria today from GLT Car Centre where Peer was working some of his magic on her.

She been fitted with a reconditioned brake booster (yeah - brakes!), new panhard bushes, fuel filter, water pump and heater tap (new style). Also got the A/C working again (a blocked receiver/dryer). Peer also fixed the sticking drivers seat belt and the bonnet catch.

I'm still have an apparent "running hot" issue. There's not much left to replace in the system but I have got a new temperature sensor on the way. We suspect that she's not actually overheating even though the reading on the gauge is very high. A check with a infrared thermometer showed the temps at the top and bottom radiator hoses as quite normal so the radiator doing a good job of cooling. I'll know more when the new sensor arrives.

I drove up to GLT in my C70 and left it there for some more of his magic. There's some go faster bits in the boot for installation as well as a few repairs.

I'll give Viktoria a wash tomorrow and take some more pictures. By the way, the 4-speed auto that Rob Eldridge fitted ran superbly and she cruised down the M1 at 110kph loping along at about 2200rpm. No engine noise in the cabin, just the fan noise from the A/C and some road noise. I can definitely recommend this as an upgrade to any of the 164s and early 260s.
    egadsgoodenoughcarnut222bgpzfm142
  • Does engaging the heater make any difference to the high temperature reading?

My 145 showed a high reading all the time; I replaced the temp sender and it was all good after that.

There was a bloke on Swedespeed who ran into silt problems in the block between #5 and #6, so it may be worth seeing with the IR thermometer if the temps are pretty much the same across the head.
    1LQhVAhm.png
    71 1800E |73 144 |74 142 |74 145 |79 242GT |88 780 |93 945T |93 945|2010 S80 V8