Introducing Viktoria, 1974 Volvo 164E

Comments

• That was just a gentle reminder to get busy building my unique Gold 162 with a V8 in it.
    OldnDecrepit
    Current: 1990 Gold Volvo 740GLE "Inga"; 1996 Gold Volvo 960 "Sofia"; 1998 Saffron Pearl Volvo C70 "Sonja"; 1974 Wattle Yellow Volvo 164 "Viktoria"
    Previous: 1996 960 "Olga"; 1999 C70T5 "Britt".
    gavinhVee_QueEx850R
  • More adventures with Viktoria.

A/C now working ! Kudos to Supercool Air Conditioning for getting the a/c going in a 44 year old car. https://supercool-southport.com.au/.

She's currently in getting a wheel alignment as it hadn't been checked since the new wheels and tyres went on. Here's a quick snap showing the wheel arch clearances since the king springs were installed.

Sk9GkTmh.jpg

I'll be dropping her off at Gold Coast Power Steering on Monday morning to have the power steering looked at. I took it there on Thursday for them to have a look and advise me. The mechanic agreed the steering was too heavy but they'll have to take the unit out to test (they did try to test it in situ). Hopefully they can make it a bit lighter.

Also have to have the brakes looked at. I've been doing some driving to various places around town and it pulls to the right under braking. Might be a sticky caliper.
    bgpzfm142JocrisBevagoodenough
  • Got Viktoria back from the power steering people and there's nothing wrong with the PS.

It seems that the ball joints on the drive's side are stuffed. Very stiff when cold and worse when warm, so that's causing the heavy steering.

Fortunately I had bought a spare set from Hinterland European some time back so they will be going in Thursday next week.
    bgpzfm142Vee_Que
  • RobRob (@Rob) - Lockyer Valley, SE Qld
    Here you go... fixed.

LgSR3rth.jpg
  • That's just silly, Rob.
    Vee_Que
  • jamesincJames (@jamesinc) Oz Volvo Ice Fortress
  • Run the rear above stock height for a sweet Mad Max rake

Actually I considered using lowered springs in the front and stock in the rear which would have a similar effect. But I decided that she didn't need lowering.
    Vee_Que
  • edited February 21
    As D-day approaches for the auto transmission conversion (BW35 to AW71L) a few items have arrived for the big day.

cUD8msuh.jpg

This V8 cooler should keep the auto cool even after bypassing the radiator.
    bgpzfm142Ex850RVee_Que
  • edited May 29
    Update 20/5/18

Alas there have been delays in getting all the wielding done on the gearbox etc. It's going to be at least another month before we can install the modified AW71L into the 164. So on Friday I picked up Viktoria (many thanks for your help Rod Wilson) and drove her home.

Kudos to Rob Eldridge who installed a front spoiler and moved the front bumper bar back towards the body. I'm still not sure about moving the bar back but the look might grow on me. He also did some panel beating work on the left front guard so she looks a lot better.

There's still interior work to finish and the A/C seems to have died so that has to be fixed.

I took her to Cars&Coffee here on the Gold Coast and snapped this picture of the "new" front.
    er54bdFh.jpg
    bgpzfm142carnut222goodenoughegadsVee_Quealphax
  • I read elsewhere that Viktoria now has an AW71L fitted and running?

I'd be interested in the details.
    1LQhVAhm.png
    71 1800E |73 144 |74 142 |74 145 |79 242GT |88 780 |93 945T |93 945|2010 S80 V8
    goodenoughVee_Quenugget_940
  • I read elsewhere that Viktoria now has an AW71L fitted and running?

I'd be interested in the details.

She certainly has. Rob Eldridge is the magician who did this, I simply supplied the money & parts. The gearbox is an AW71L from a 940 turbo. Rob & his brother Geoff cut the front off a BW35 and welded it to the AW71L with a compensatory 15 degree twist to match the upright stance of the B30 engine.

A full write-up will be coming and posted on OzVolvo.
    bgpzfm142carnut222egadsgoodenoughVee_QueGhettobird
  • Here's a few teasers:

tgR1RlXh.jpg
    UCrPMQth.jpg
    goodenoughcarnut222bgpzfm142egadsVee_QueGhettobirdnugget_940ab1
  • The fixes and upgrades for Viktoria continue unabated.
    xcZ3HKoh.jpg

Installed a new spare wheel strap, rear venetian and clothes hook. Also installed a HUD to measure speed as the new gearbox does not have an output for the speedo.
    8XtFWNKh.jpg
    9JU5vZLh.jpg
    2ha4lNRh.jpg
    goodenoughVee_Quejamesincbgpzfm142ab1
  • Vee_QueVee_Que (@Vee_Que) South Eastern suburbs Melbourne.
    An aw70 240 one could have been fitted if it's the earlier type aw71l

• Yes, I know about that one but at $345US it's a bit steep in price.

The AW71L came from a 940 turbo, so I'm not sure if this can be done.

The instrument pod is being replaced with the sports unit I bought a couple of days ago. So I've got to sort the tacho too.
    egadsbgpzfm142

nah, this one was very different under the extension housing. The speedo gear/ extension housing etc from an AW55 fitted up to the AW71 I had as a mockup gearbox though.
  • How do I mod the tacho in that sports pod to read properly for a six cylinder?
    How do I mod the tacho in that sports pod to read properly for a six cylinder?

It will need to be calibrated, hopefully there is an adjustment pot in the circuitry that has enough adjustment for this, otherwise you will need to get a pro to modify it.
    egadsOldnDecrepit
  • Vee_QueVee_Que (@Vee_Que) South Eastern suburbs Melbourne.
    Rob (@Rob) wrote: »

nah, this one was very different under the extension housing. The speedo gear/ extension housing etc from an AW55 fitted up to the AW71 I had as a mockup gearbox though.

It will have the big bearing inside if it's the later box. The earlier one is the same by my experience.
    Rob