Replacement remote/key fob for 2007 XC90 D5

in General 2 / 1joined Jul 2017
Hello all, first Volvo, first post.
I just picked up a one-owner 2007 XC90 D5 with 137,000km on it. Looks pretty clean and honest, drove the best of all I looked at. It's booked into Autohaus at Hornsby for a thorough check next week.

It's probably a lost cause, but is there anyway around handing over $650-$720 (!) to a Volvo dealer in order to have a functioning remote key fob thingy? A few phone calls say no, but am hoping the good and knowledgeable folk here might be able to suggest options.
egads

Comments

• 8558 / 73joined Jul 2013
    Usa dealer will do it for half that price
    I think you need to add i was in an s80 with three wheels getting pulled backwards and was told to "hold on shit is about to get real".
  • 475 / 28joined Jan 2016
    Try buying from Berry in Melbourne and get a dealer to code it
  • 2 / 1joined Jul 2017
    Usa dealer will do it for half that price
    Thanks for the tip - I'll look into that!
    Try buying from Berry in Melbourne and get a dealer to code it
    They seem to have a good rep, I'll give 'em a call and see what they say.

Good news is the old key with remote still starts the car, so the key chip works. I've been told if that's the case I can just buy the remote and get it programmed. Food for thought, but for now I'll give it a thorough clean and detail before it goes in for check-up Thursday.

Off the line performance seems quite good, so maybe it has had some software updates, but it has only been serviced local garage for years under previous owner. Is it worthwhile booking into Dealer for a software check/update?
  • 475 / 28joined Jan 2016
    If not dealer serviced then yes, you should
  • 2 / 1joined Jul 2017
    If not dealer serviced then yes, you should
    Cheers Chris, I will ;-)