Oz Volvo Nationals 8-10 November - register today! ozvolvo.org/nationals

'91 240GLE - The Brapwagon

Comments

• jamesincJames (@jamesinc) Oz Volvo Ice Fortress
    @Slowbrick it was pretty wrecked, and I disturbed it when I pulled the tank to clean it, so I suppose that was the final straw.
  • Wow does that car trailer have 20-inch wheels on it???
  • Wow does that car trailer have 20-inch wheels on it???

19's

Because they are XC90 19's ;)
    carnut222Vee_Que
    I replaced the right tail lamp assembly. Thanks to @iceton1975 for sending up a new one so quickly. The old one was so washed out I'm pretty sure it would have failed blue slip. I also found out why the fog light switch lit up when I pressed the brakes, someone had run wires from the brake lights to the fogs on each side. When I switch the fogs on, is it only the driver's side that's supposed to come on?

v2arfmah.jpg

Also, hilarious issue where the brake light on the right worked fine, unless the tails were on, in which case when I pressed the brake the light went out (i.e. functionality was inverted). Looking at the wiring diagram I realised this must be due to a poor ground on that bulb, and I was right in that respect.
    Vee_Que
  • Vee_QueVee_Que (@Vee_Que) South Eastern suburbs Melbourne.
    The brake lights working on the fogs is good, just remove the fog light switch!
    Ex850R
    Wagon needs new swaybar drop links.

Did the ball joints today.

CmeO4X6h.jpg

sfeU4Zbh.jpg

Also deleted the towbar. Tomorrow I'll do the fuel filter and feed line from the tank.

I also need to fix the clutch slave, it leaks pretty badly, I think it probably needs to be replaced. I might tear it down and have a look, if it's just got some rust in the bore or piston I can probably give it a scratch pass on the lathe to clean it up and put a new seal in.
    Vee_QueKlaptrap24
    edited May 2018
    Alrighty, got the new fuel feed line in, new fuel filter in, fixed up the front corner a bit, stripped out the last bits of rear interior, scrubbed the shit out of the steelies, Windex'd the glass, and finally put an Oz Volvo decal on.

XllfFaRh.jpg

LmvtnMZh.jpg

Before:
    DVHXIc4h.jpg

Got real lucky in the misc. parts bin:
    CkqsOAnh.jpg

After:
    PpeR3LMh.jpg

Instant GLE trim mod:
    ollMpF8h.jpg

Lookin' good, replaced the broken mounting clips, parts bin to the rescue again:
    Hewv3Jph.jpg

I want to do this, but I only have this one hub cap :(
    rNhBWE9h.jpg

Yes.
    YvMPWqyh.jpg

To-do:
    • New windscreen
    • Replace sway bar drop links (need to buy)
    • Replace clutch slave cylinder
    • Replace tie rod ends (in the mail)
    • Replace trunk washer nozzle (missing)
    • Replace the plastic sleeve that goes inside the shifter, or alternatively machine something out of Delrin to replace it.
    • Put a set screw through the shift knob so it can't slide off

I think once those things are done I will take it for a blue slip and see what the guy doesn't like.
    carnut222pauljlozVee_QueKlaptrap24
  • I have 2 complete (and one minus centre) hub caps somewhere
    I have 2 complete (and one minus centre) hub caps somewhere
    Tempting
  • DCW242Duncan (@DCW242) - point cook. victoria
    I have one complete hub cap available
    So I have one, Paul has two, and Duncan has one. If my maths is correct, that makes a full set! How do you guys feel about selling me your hubcaps?
  • DCW242Duncan (@DCW242) - point cook. victoria
    Sounds good to me
  • CVI has rebuild kits for slave cylinders. Going to get one myself for the m47 conversion
    @ljk346 I'm tempted, but the thing is, if there's damage to the bore, e.g. from rust, new seals won't fix that
    Vee_Que
  • @ljk346 I'm tempted, but the thing is, if there's damage to the bore, e.g. from rust, new seals won't fix that

You could mill it out and press in a sleve
    BigTriangle
  • Vee_QueVee_Que (@Vee_Que) South Eastern suburbs Melbourne.
    @ljk346 I'm tempted, but the thing is, if there's damage to the bore, e.g. from rust, new seals won't fix that

You could mill it out and press in a sleve

Yes 244 has a hilux centre in his. It's so cheap to just buy a new one that a kit isn't worth it Imo.
    jamesinc
    edited May 2018
    I might bore it and sleeve it, but I'll still buy a new slave cyl first. I'm not even 100% sure I can hold it nicely on the 4-jaw lathe chuck, and I don't own a vertical mill, so lathe is only option. Turning a sleeve is easy enough at least.
  • So I have one, Paul has two, and Duncan has one. If my maths is correct, that makes a full set! How do you guys feel about selling me your hubcaps?

Shoot me a pm. I'l be over later this month.
    Last night I installed the bronze shifter bushing kit made by STS Machining. Man what a difference that makes, the shifter is just perfect now. If anything it's a little too snug, but I imagine with a few weeks' use the bushings will bed in a bit.
    Vee_Queegads