Oz Volvo Nationals 8-10 November - register today! ozvolvo.org/nationals

'91 240GLE - The Brapwagon

18910111214»

Comments

• jamesincJames (@jamesinc) Oz Volvo Ice Fortress
    I've been chasing a frontend clunk, which is probably the passenger strut insert, but last time I pulled it to check everything seemed okay. I can't seem to reproduce the clunk by shaking the car/strut so that makes it more annoying. Anyway I started checking everything, found the hubs were deflecting quite a bit so I re-torqued them back to spec. No more deflecting hubs, but the clunk remains. I think I'll have to tear down the strut fully and have a really close look.
  • carnut222Greg S (@carnut222) Daylesford VIC
    I've been chasing a frontend clunk, which is probably the passenger strut insert, but last time I pulled it to check everything seemed okay. I can't seem to reproduce the clunk by shaking the car/strut so that makes it more annoying. Anyway I started checking everything, found the hubs were deflecting quite a bit so I re-torqued them back to spec. No more deflecting hubs, but the clunk remains. I think I'll have to tear down the strut fully and have a really close look.

When does the clunk happen? I found sway bar end link nut loose on my 1800ES was causing a clunk over twist driveways. I’m sure you’ve checked LCA bushes? It can be a pain finding those annoying noises. I still have sort of a rattle from front suspension in both 240s on some unsealed roads that I haven’t been able to trace. I’ve also heard the front crossmember bolts to frame can cause a clunk if loose.
  • I had that clunk, perhaps some movement of spring in the strut.
    carnut222
    I did check the LCA bushes, they're fine, I also checked the sway bar bushes and they are fine too.

I might go over it all again when I get some motivation, but otherwise it doesn't seem to affect handling so I'll just leave it until I can reproduce the clunk and nail the location down.
    carnut222paul0075
    inv7cnzerxmv.jpg

Roof racks deleted
    egadsnugget_940ALVO360paul0075timbocarnut222goodenoughRaebirdbgpzfm142
  • volvodrivermanvolvodriverman (@volvodriverman) Barringwood Estate, Tasmania
    inv7cnzerxmv.jpg

Roof racks deleted

Brapcat
    timbogoodenough
    CTRL Z
    kzfav0bijc8w.jpg
    Man i can hardly tell its photoshopped
  • I tried to give your cat some 'thug life' sunglasses, but gave up after 6 failed attempts.
    egadsgoodenoughnugget_940
    New axle is almost ready

4hpgyjjsh3mh.jpg
    bgpzfm142ALVO360paul0075Raebird
    Upgrades?
    Has a G80 centre
  • Driving the wagon today... a sc14 would be really fun on the car
    carnut222
    Driving the wagon today... a sc14 would be really fun on the car
    Here’s how I did the SC14 in our 88 240...nice extra power and torque! :)
    caqfqlarz2wc.jpeg

ALVO360jamesincbgpzfm142nugget_940
  • Ex850RSnoopy (@Ex850R) Somewhere Over the Rainbow. Melbourne.
    Here’s how I did the SC14 in our 88 240...nice extra power and torque! :)
    caqfqlarz2wc.jpeg

More pix and a howto thread please.

More pix and a howto thread please.
    Sorry to hijack the thread. Here’s a link to a series of articles I wrote about it back in the day...I’ve since sold the car but kept all the bits for a future project...
    http://volvovic.org.au/blog/2003/05/15/supercharge/

The pics etc aren’t that great as they’re just from our club mag which was black and white at the time. Maybe someday I’ll do another write-up with colour pics...when I decide what car to put it on. Maybe they yellow 245? Hmm....
    paul0075ljk346ALVO360
  • @carnut222 that's amazing. Well done .

Replaced the control arm bushings (which were pretty wrecked) with Delrin fronts from STS Machining and Super Pro polyurethane rears. Man! What a difference, the front end feels so solid now.

bgpzfm142carnut222alphaxEx850RRaebird