'91 240GLE - The Brapwagon

1789101113»

Comments

• jamesincJames (@jamesinc) Oz Volvo Ice Fortress
    A week back I also prepped the new M47 for the Brapwagon, so hoping to put it in on Saturday, anyone want to volunteer to help? 🤞

imdywha5oq0n.jpg
    738migi4zwkp.jpg
  • Sex spec
    I think you need to add i was in an s80 with three wheels getting pulled backwards and was told to "hold on shit is about to get real".
    paul0075
  • Plz slam it

What are the wheels?
  • They're 15 inch gold Cheviot Quattros.

Had some on my 144 back in the day. Wish I could get my hands on another set, but haven't seen them for sale new since 1990.
    1LQhVAhm.png
    71 1800E |73 144 |74 142 |74 145 |79 242GT |88 780 |93 945T |93 945|2010 S80 V8
    jamesinc
  • I need to see more of this thread to get me motivated to do something with mine! g2wf6ck8z6m6.jpg
    carnut222paul0075
    Plz slam it

What are the wheels?
    Cheviot something or other. Probably made sometime in the early 80s.
    The wagon finally runs mint. It is quite fast. Can't wait to sort out the exhaust and see what that does to it.

The issue I'd been battling in Canberra was that the flywheel was 45 degrees out from where it should have been. Whoops! Always sanity check your TDC by sighting the piston through the spark plug hole. My crank wheel had it marked incorrectly about 30 degrees, and I had been positioning things relative to it. It's odd because I set the motor to TDC using the stock pulley, then swapped the new pulley on and marked TDC with that, so not sure how it was so wrong.

Anyway, ultimately the car I think had a bunch of things wrong with it, the flywheel may or may not have been wrong the whole time (it's been off the car a few times) but most of the car had problems, from the fuel system to the intake and electrics, so I think I've ended up diagnosing round in circles a few times, but the car now works great! To the track we go!
    carnut222egadspaul0075timbobgpzfm142Ex850R
    Oh and I threw a bit more money at it to sort out a few remaining things. New strut tops, new water pump, new OE intake hoses (because the aftermarket ones are absolute garbage) and new thermostat.
    paul0075
  • Yay, glad you finally got to the bottom of it!
  • That’s great news
    --
    Paul0075

Current Cars: 1974 144DL & 1989 245GL
    Past Volvo Cars: 1975 244DL, 1974 145GL, 1986 240GL wagon, 1993 440GL, 1987 240GL sedan (M46), 1986 240GL sedan, 1987 240GL sedan, 1992 (MY93) 240 sedan, 2000 V40T4
    Past Non-Volvo Cars: 1988 Toyota AE82 Corolla Seca, 2001 Toyota AE112R Corolla Conquest, 2000 Ford BA Futura, 1997 VT Commodore Executive, 2002 Mazda BJ-III 323 Astina
    Drags?
  • RaebirdRaebird (@Raebird) Springfield Lakes, Qld.
    What cam are you running again?
    360GLT - Will eventually be AQ171 powered!
    240GL - No frills street racecar... Maybe a couple of frills...
    280 degree 112 LSA 12.15mm lift

KL Racing T3 kamaxel
    Raebird
    1xoapuotym9n.jpg

I finally have adequate knee clearance
    paul0075Calljk346nugget_940egadsRaebirdbgpzfm142
  • RaebirdRaebird (@Raebird) Springfield Lakes, Qld.
    For bulk clutch kicks!
    edited May 17
    Finally sorted the torque arms out. Man the old ones were shot!

fpoixvaepfwq.jpg

bfvykhdrvjvw.jpg
    paul0075
  • Isn’t the idea to increase suspension movement (side to side) to allow the tires to grip around corners? Kaplhenke seems to think that using poly bushings can make the rear end loose grip.
    Inspired by Jungledorifuto's 1980 GL
    Looking for a 240 74-79 model for round light front end conversion
    Isn’t the idea to increase suspension movement (side to side) to allow the tires to grip around corners? Kaplhenke seems to think that using poly bushings can make the rear end loose grip.
    That's right, they don't allow as much roll in the axle, but they are a lot better than trashed bushings, and I've had them sitting in my parts stash for years, so on they go.

I'll probably run Kaplhenke trailing arm bushings, just need to suck it up about the cost.

I can tell you that the car's handling has improved dramatically, the rear end is much tighter. I threw it into corners hard to see how much roll it would take to hop a wheel, and I was able to do it, but only under very hard cornering, I was at the grip limit of my tyres anyway.
    paul0075