2019 Nationals in Bathurst are 8-10 November, just over three months away! Make sure to register at ozvolvo.org/nationals!

780 rejuvenating faded black plastic bumpers

Hi all,

The black plastic bumpers in my 850 are faded in spots, and are probably the biggest aesthetic issue my car has.

A while ago I bought the fanciest bumper repair product the car parts shop sold, which from memory was a two part formula that you try to paint onto the bumpers before it melts your lungs.

It sort of worked? Maybe they look a little bit better, but still pretty faded looking. Which is disappointing, since even the example car on the packet was a volvo! (Xc70)

Has anyone used any off the shelf products successfully?

Comments

• nickmnicko (@nickm) Sydeneee --- home of the traffic jamb, over priced coffee, and the 2000 Olympics
    Check out the use of heat guns on the black plastic
    UNM
  • jamesincJames (@jamesinc) Oz Volvo Ice Fortress
    Heat guns 👌💯, as the children these days would say.
    goodenough
  • Ex850RSnoopy (@Ex850R) Somewhere Over the Rainbow. Melbourne.
    Please keep it the charcoal colour, same as the volans shade really.
    Black isn't what it's meant to be.

They say the IPD product is the go. Personally.,my R was colour coded, all trim RED!
    goodenough
  • On my p2 xc70, I used boiled linseed oil on the plastic trim. Worked well, just need to reapply it maybe once a year to keep up the shine.
    goodenough
  • I wish I joined oz Volvo when I had these issues!! All good info here 👌
    jamesinc
  • linseed oil!..best kept secret of good car detailers..3 4 bucks from bunnings..rub it in like a cricket bat..then finish with petroleum jelly..plastic is made of oil and u rejuvenate it with oil and oil derivatives..u will b amazed how it brings it back!
    goodenoughEx850R
    linseed oil!..best kept secret of good car detailers..3 4 bucks from bunnings..rub it in like a cricket bat..then finish with petroleum jelly..plastic is made of oil and u rejuvenate it with oil and oil derivatives..u will b amazed how it brings it back!

Keeps it factory colour too, not black, dark grey.
  • edited July 2017
    Heat gun.

Image is of bumper about 6 weeks after using heat gun on part of it.

I am no expert - the more even the application of heat, the better the result.
  • MCA (motorcycle asecories ) Auburn Sydney on Parramatta Road have all the best simple to use products for that beautificaton that you need for you black plastic bumpers
    Hi all,

The black plastic bumpers in my 850 are faded in spots, and are probably the biggest aesthetic issue my car has.

A while ago I bought the fanciest bumper repair product the car parts shop sold, which from memory was a two part formula that you try to paint onto the bumpers before it melts your lungs.

It sort of worked? Maybe they look a little bit better, but still pretty faded looking. Which is disappointing, since even the example car on the packet was a volvo! (Xc70)

Has anyone used any off the shelf products successfully?
  • Silicone spray works wonders as well.
  • Top pic shows dark areas where I have used heat gun, and end product in second pic.

Very happy with results. I'd have rated the condition of my bumpers at the start at maybe 25% and I reckon this has got it to 80%. I also used an old bathroom tile as an effective heat shield to protect paint and plastic trim from the heat. Only took 20 mins to do whole car. Would highly recommend to anyone else with faded bumpers
    UNM
    IPD do a charcoal colour rejuvator stuff.
    Don't go black one!
  • kyrilkyril (@kyril) Bendigo Victoria
    Yep. Heat gun works. I used it on my old Subaru Outback. Heat gun also works on repairing minor scuffs and scratches on interior hard plastics.

Learnt this from my mechanic brother
    goodenough
  • That is an amazing difference!!
    Heat gun only lasts for limited time as plastic has lost its moon already, too old and weathered.
  • jamesincJames (@jamesinc) Oz Volvo Ice Fortress
    Put some sunscreen on it. I'm sure someone makes a clear UV blocker for plastic.
  • JakeNZJakeNZ (@JakeNZ) South Auckland, NZ
    I don't know if It will work on bumpers, but I've had some success using a oily rag on the black trip on my 244GLT.

The black painted steel around the window frames and the black trim strip below the window's were quite faded and had some splotchy discolouration that's now gone. Just oil a rag slightly and rub it in.
  • I bought a product called Black Again from IPD. It worked fine for my 940. Blocks UV. Although not a perminent fix