Stage 0 1998 V70XC

Comments

• gavinhGav (@gavinh) Parmelia, Perth
    ahh the journey of continuously fixing our middle aged Volvos.. I love it. We have cars with character!

I used to have crazy problems with my B5 audi as you described, stumbling at speed or idle.. got to the point of violent hesitation in the end.. After 2 years of the dealer not being able to fix it I sorted it myself with a new MAF sensor. Anyways, maybe not your issue but if you've run out of ideas then give that and the oxy sensors a look over.. See if the issue goes away by unplugging them.

Well after what I found to day, the fuel filter being installed the wrong way round. Im hoping that might have been the issue, hears hoping anyway.
  • Ex850RSnoopy (@Ex850R) Somewhere Over the Rainbow. Melbourne.
    The journey to get those 13? Bolts out of and back into the water pump body with no space is one i do not like.

Those t-stat housing bolts are always an issue, even ones I have carefully tensioned with anti seize on thread have been a bastard 6 months later! (snapped the hose spigot of housing so needed it off)
    I suggest hex head bloody bolts in there.
    On a side note, having same issue with torx bolt on tailgate lock! Should have kept the t5 tailgate I had put aside if I can't fix this but in last minute cleanup when moving house the scrappy got it.... I would rather swap tailgate than piss around with that bolt right now! No idea where my ezy outs are....
    cancer sucks
    The journey to get those 13? Bolts out of and back into the water pump body with no space is one i do not like.

Those t-stat housing bolts are always an issue, even ones I have carefully tensioned with anti seize on thread have been a bastard 6 months later! (snapped the hose spigot of housing so needed it off)
    I suggest hex head bloody bolts in there.
    On a side note, having same issue with torx bolt on tailgate lock! Should have kept the t5 tailgate I had put aside if I can't fix this but in last minute cleanup when moving house the scrappy got it.... I would rather swap tailgate than piss around with that bolt right now! No idea where my ezy outs are....

There was only 7 bolts and only 4 you can see, shit of a design for East West motor. Much easier on the north south B6304.

I ended up cutting half the head of the torque screw off and got the vice grips on it. Came off easy as piss. As I could tighten it but not loosen it

I have really gained an appreciation for the white block and the fwd since starting on the v70.

Considering I was scared of the fwd white bolck thing, well not scared but dreading working on one and there a easy as.
    Ex850R
    Looks good. It was passing a bit of oil via valve stem seals by the look of it.

Well after doing the 5k oil change, good to see its not using any oil or not a noticeable amount. Win win
    jamesincTerryA
    Oil quality really is a thing with these motors.
    Rum HPR10 Penrite for a while and the tiks and startup pressure lag all goes away.

i am considering the RN sump swap but doing a front mount ncooler swap like Ash has done on the Vocus thread,
    edited September 2017
    @Ex850R, I have always used Penrite hprbut I just recently started using sWfMZQDh.jpg
    As it has been cheaper to buy 10L at $75
    So just done a 120km trip till the airport and back with the sub frame inserts installed. The annoying vibration at 110kmh had gone, steering is way more positive and the car feels alot tighter in the front end. The best $30 I have spent on the car in a while. HmF0s8Qh.jpg
  • oh interesting. What are these things all about then? Quick way of sorting worn sub frame bushings? Do they introduce any vibration at different times? (I'm guessing they're poly).
    You can buy Kaplhenke Delrin ones, do away with the aged rubber all together.
    @Ex850R they are probably the better option, from kaplhenke, but $30 won't go a miss. I still have a heap of stuff still to go on. But the list is getting smaller.

Those thermostate bolts are they m6x40mm? As I want to replace them with hex heads like you said.

@bigal they are subframe bush inserts that remove any or reduce the play in the bushes, tool about 15mins per bush the the torquing was the hardest bit. Like 105Nm then 120 deg.
    Ex850R
    Rattle gun Nm you say

And a little bit more if you crank up the Hz
    jamesinc
    ahh the journey of continuously fixing our middle aged Volvos.. I love it. We have cars with character!

I used to have crazy problems with my B5 audi as you described, stumbling at speed or idle.. got to the point of violent hesitation in the end.. After 2 years of the dealer not being able to fix it I sorted it myself with a new MAF sensor. Anyways, maybe not your issue but if you've run out of ideas then give that and the oxy sensors a look over.. See if the issue goes away by unplugging them.

Well after what I found to day, the fuel filter being installed the wrong way round. Im hoping that might have been the issue, hears hoping anyway.

Looks Like the issue of the car hesitating as stopped and it was probally my stupidly that caused it!
    I installed the fuel filter the wrong way round the last time I changed it out, so the new one was installed the right way round had haven't had any problems since.
    Also been squirreling away parts to do the front end and picked up or picking up another v70xc that has been raped for its manual gearbox
    edited May 2018
    Well it's bin a while, finally pulled my finger out of my arse and fitted new lower lca's inner and outer tie rods, sway bar links, strut top rubbers and bearings.
    All up a very straight forward job with exception of the lca's and having to undo the lower engine mounts.
    WOW WHAT A DIFFRRENCE in the car, the strut top bearings were fucked and there was play in the passenger side inner tie rod.
    Also got an alingment done, so all brand new!
    While I was in the mood I wanted to track down a oil seepage from what thought was the pipe leading into the head from the pcv.
    Found that the oil was seeping from a manufactured hole that wasn't sealed property from when I rebuilt the head. Also ended up replacing some of the vacuum hoses with better ones.
    I had a mate from the club over here detail the car to and she had a bath then clay bared afterwards and she came up a treat.
    Now still a few things to do, I get an intermittent warning with the abs/tracs, cleaned all the wheel sensors on the last service, I thought it helped but it came back, so need to swap over the controller which I have.
    I also want to do somthing about the door card as the vinyl has blown out.
    The missus want the car to also have a little more pep, so was thinking of bigger intercooler from the place that @Ex850R suggests on flee Bay, bigger turbo probably a 15g? and silicone hoses along with Injectors? Any info on making it go slightly faster wound be great!
    Oh yeah and s/s braided brake hoses.
    Yesterday the missus was driving and tore the sidewall out of the tyre, so looks like we are up for 4 new tyre for the car as they are all evenly worn, does any one know off the top of there heads what the differences can be between the tyre circumference of the tyres, as I'm away the now and won't be back home for a week or so
    Cheers the now
    Gav
    pHKvoMph.jpg
    eB0iqsmh.jpg
    ljJyQRqh.jpg
    csJgHLSh.jpg
    iHOuVKgh.jpg
    EMrfAxBh.jpg
    4xpEjMsh.jpg
    5Vxct3dh.jpg
    WF7hfrWh.jpg
    Dv91XeHh.jpg
    FOTXrBGh.jpg
    Let's see if any one can point out were I fucked up?
  • Let's see if any one can point out were I fucked up?

ABS sensor wire routing
    I think you need to add i was in an s80 with three wheels getting pulled backwards and was told to "hold on shit is about to get real".
    That was one of them, that is sorted now
    It's a little more obvious
  • That was one of them, that is sorted now
    It's a little more obvious

I'm drunk... I had to look twice... LOL's @ the tie rod ends
    Yep and the pink elephant stamp goes to @Philia_Bear
    Wish I was drunk