The forums were recently upgraded, and this may alter behavior or break things. If you notice problems, check and report them in this thread

142 springs

Hi guys, looking for lowered springs for my 142.
Hoping to go 2" lower then std, anyone have an idea where these are available from?, thanks

Comments

• SpacSpac (@Spac) Canberra-ish.
    King Springs if Ash can't help you out.
  • We are currently working on the ideal unit.

Though for off the shelf need it yesterday. Torana fronts, and 240 rears job done
  • Vee_QueVee_Que (@Vee_Que) South Eastern suburbs Melbourne.
    There is too many toranas to just say torana. Lc/lj, lh/lx/uc, V8, 6, 4.

Lowered 164 springs are heavier than 140s, you can get them reset lower by kings springs.
  • That's why I said torana Alex, there are various choices, yet none of the coil dimension is different except rate to support the engine weight.
    Then there are aftermarket coils, with various spec rates, height, rate type etc. So saying X when xyz is an option isn't quite correct.
  • Thanks Jay, don't need them now, so will wait for yr units.
    U think 2" lower will look just right. Pair with decent shocks and sway bars, this will make it handle a little better then it did, also stiffer suspension will save it from sill rash😆😆
    Let me know when ready and I'll just on board.. thx
    Lowering these cars doesn't necessarily improve the handling, stiffer springs will, sway bars will, but the roll centre on these and 122s are not great so going low is not going to result in better handling in the true sense of the word.
    And still, the generation torana is important, lc and lj are different completely to the lh on. Then keep in mind that other Holdens used the same spring Size as do American cars.
  • I realise just lowering it won't improve everything but it will look a lot nicer, add swaybar to rear and if possible beef the front up a little, it should handle better then it did.
    Will probably replace all bushes as well with neoprene if possible, but one step at a time..
  • Alex they use the same diameter.
    Just like the Kingswood and statesman of the era. And yeah, just like the Americans do too. It's the height and coil thickness, rate that different between models.

5" dia coil. Super easy to get. As mentioned in the 164 suspension thread.
    Neoprene? Maybe polyurethane?
  • Stand corrected, thx
  • Yeah, neoprene is what wetsuits are made of. But soft and delicate for bushes ;p

Polyurethane and polyethylene are the two names I used always get mixed up
  • Appreciate this is an old thread.. but has anyone actually fitted Torana springs to a 142?
    I’ve just purchased some, and after measuring, the Volvo and Torana springs, they have different internal diameters. Any ideas?
  • What torana springs did you get? I have fitted torana koni adjustable shocks to the front of a 142 but not springs. Lh/lx would be the closest size wise
    The 5" external diameter should be the same but internal could be slightly smaller due to thicker coil. Does the shock clear the internal diameter?
    Rallybrick
  • Purchased LJ fronts, which by all accounts should fit, but they measure about 82mm internal and the 142 is about 92mm internal, so the Torana springs don’t seat in the upper perch. They don’t foul on anything else
  • I hope you weren't relying on the extremely vague advice in this thread.
    The top perch should be removeable (often falls out when removing springs) and if you're committed to running the springs you can either run the springs without the perch or grind the inner lip off (and leave it at that) or weld a bit of tube with correct diameter on. Depends entirely on what level of bush mechanics that you're comfortable with
  • Haha... wasn’t just this thread, it appeared to be a popular choice 🤷‍♂️
    The top spring seat is a welded in affair, or am I missing something obvious?
  • What year model is your 140? The later ones (71 on) just sit up against the subframe might need some gentle persuasion with a prybar but they do come out
  • Ahh... I see.... it’s a 72... this might be the trick...
    leave it with me 👍🏻
  • Ill try and get you a pic of the spring seat
    Rallybrick