Oz Volvo Nationals 8-10 November - register today! ozvolvo.org/nationals

Al's 164 B30E

ab1Alex (@ab1) Melbourne
edited January 28 in RWD
This is my build thread for my 1973' Volvo 164E. I want to keep track of my progress and see how it compares to my initial plans. These cars really are a forgotten breed in Volvo's history and I think they definitely deserve more attention. My goal in this project is to develop a relatively quick car(somewhat of a sleeper) that handles well and is something completely original.

Here's the car when i bought it from John at Voldat

NJ5U5L1h.jpg

73' Auto Borg Warner slush box
White paint cooked
14" 240 steelies
Brown leather seats also cooked by the sun
Rust but only in the boot and one sill an excuse to learn how to weld
suspension is tired
D Jetronic

vCx1GLjh.jpg

Now for the good stuff
plans

A/C conversion with a updated compressor but need to find a bracket
960 Denso alternator
Megasquirt conversion
Poly Bushes all round
Lowered more

KG extractors or something more affordable if it exists
2.5" straight through exhaust not sure on muffler yet
newer seats with bolstering
LSD
Early dash swap with the nice rare r sports dash cluster
A fresh paint job is last on the list but possibly ahead of a sneaky turbo

Current State
Engine rebuilt by Voldat waiting to go in with its
Transmission ready just need pedals and slave cylinder
Seats are out of the car trying to source better ones
Windshield needs replacing dash partially together
Wog stereo system setup in the making
Rebuilt M410 overdrive
Rebuilt Block and Head
Port Polish
K Cam
Adjustable Shocks
Electric Fan

OYWmOTgh.jpg
Ill post some photos of the progress so far
egadsTerryAbgpzfm142pieboyfresh

Comments

• ab1Alex (@ab1) Melbourne
    edited April 2017
    The good, the bad and the ugly
    Lw3Nbllh.jpg
    tmJjMOth.jpg
    VLG80dEh.jpg
    flRFt12h.jpg
    reucedwh.jpg
    ZH4Us2Yh.jpg
    yQflMizh.jpg
    bgpzfm142
  • GhettobirdJulian (@Ghettobird) Melbourne - SE Suburbs
    I wonder how different the rear end is in comparison to the 240... lsd selection will be interesting
    ab1Vee_Que
  • They are very similar, slightly different track.
    ab1
    edited November 2018
    3 core radiator :)
    QxRIs9Dh.jpg
    Reground Cam by clive cams and Crank done by a shop in clayton south
    9xOYtjeh.jpg
    GTOCWAhh.jpg
    pIDvXaQh.jpg
    ehcjFEvh.jpg
    EeRSSoCh.jpg
    Gz46IJWh.jpg
    jDvIuJbh.jpg
    bgpzfm142pieboyfresh242GT
    edited March 2017
    uLbshrgh.jpg
    OgS75xFh.jpg
    M1NTb72h.jpg
    Kgi92avh.jpg
    bgpzfm142Vee_Quejamesincpieboyfresh
  • Schweeet!
  • If you are doing away with the dash then I could use a good condition dash top for my 74' 145. I'm guessing they're exactly the same.
    edited June 2017
    If you are doing away with the dash then I could use a good condition dash top for my 74' 145. I'm guessing they're exactly the same.

will do probably one of the last things on the list
  • Vee_QueVee_Que (@Vee_Que) South Eastern suburbs Melbourne.
    If you are doing away with the dash then I could use a good condition dash top for my 74' 145. I'm guessing they're exactly the same.

will do probably one of the last things on the list but the current one does have two small cracks in it for reference

It's very common. Are you going to the late 240 dash?
  • If you are doing away with the dash then I could use a good condition dash top for my 74' 145. I'm guessing they're exactly the same.

will do probably one of the last things on the list but the current one does have two small cracks in it for reference

It's very common. Are you going to the late 240 dash?

Early 164 dash
    edited March 2017
    New windshield in this week unfortunately i didnt have time to source the rusted away trim clip pieces to put the chrome in so a 240 mould went in but its better than leaking!

8M3uMoOh.jpg
    To3UlGDh.jpg
    bgpzfm142Vee_Quepieboyfresh
  • jamesincJames (@jamesinc) Oz Volvo Ice Fortress
    For future reference if you ever want to re-add the chrome trim, you can buy the clips from CVI-Automotive.
    ab1
    edited June 2017
    cheers for the tip
  • Nice looking project. In your photos it appears you've got a new aluminium radiator. Looks very similar in construction to the generic one's on eBay. I've used one of these previously and whilst they work well when new, ensure your cooling system is pristine or the narrow cores will clog up. I changed to a custom two core item and things are much better.
    Love the straight six motor. A turbo and EFI setup would improve things no end.
    Vee_Que
    edited June 2017
    Nice looking project. In your photos it appears you've got a new aluminium radiator. Looks very similar in construction to the generic one's on eBay. I've used one of these previously and whilst they work well when new, ensure your cooling system is pristine or the narrow cores will clog up. I changed to a custom two core item and things are much better.
    Love the straight six motor. A turbo and EFI setup would improve things no end.

it is indeed a generic ebay one... the block and head have all been cleaned throughly i imagine. so hopefully that wont be a concern. can not wait to turbo it but its a while away at least for now
  • OvloverPat (@Ovlover) Sutherland Shire, Sydney
    Good project!

Don't expect the cooling jackets to be clean. I have never had a head come back without some amount of swarf in them. Cheap head, expensive head, wrapped in cling wrap, not wrapped. They are never cleaned properly.
  • Good project!

Don't expect the cooling jackets to be clean. I have never had a head come back without some amount of swarf in them. Cheap head, expensive head, wrapped in cling wrap, not wrapped. They are never cleaned properly.

anything i can do to improve the integrity of the radiator if thats the case?
  • Vee_QueVee_Que (@Vee_Que) South Eastern suburbs Melbourne.
    Good project!

Don't confuse the guy. He's paying a workshop to do the lot. It's all going to be fine.
    ab1
  • OvloverPat (@Ovlover) Sutherland Shire, Sydney
    anything i can do to improve the integrity of the radiator if thats the case?

Swarf floating around in the system shouldn't cause any issues. Most of it would either fall into low velocity points in the system and stay there or be caught up on the high side of the radiator until they corrode away to nothing. Oil galleries are a different kettle of fish, fine stuff will make it's way into bearing journals. Large stuff will just move to a point and stay-put.

Just shove the air gun into as many holes as you can and from different angles. Use a light.
    Don't confuse the guy. He's paying a workshop to do the lot. It's all going to be fine.

What he does with his car and his money is his choice.