B230 in Amazon

in RWD 6 / 1joined Feb 2017
Hi every one
I live in England
have a Amazon estate that I am trying to get a penta 2.5 16 valve in it is on carbs
it is a B230 block gearbox is 5 speed M47
I want to fit this on the slant as it was fitted in the 940
the problem is to get it to fit I am having to cut the sump or cross member up
can get it to fit with no sump on easley

I have seen pictures of this but can find no information

Help

Thanks

Comments

• Vee_QueVee_Que (@Vee_Que) South Eastern suburbs Melbourne.
    edited February 16 7151 / 36joined Jul 2013
    Why don't you mount it upright? Especially as the sump from a b20 fits. And you can use the m40, it's no weaker than the m47...

As it just sounds like you're doing it the hard way. Especially if you can't make a sump fit that Does.
  • 6 / 1joined Feb 2017
    Hi
    if i mount on the slope dont to mess with the inlet and get the float highs right
    at a later date can fit injection and turbo all with standard volvo parts
    the M40 is only 4 speed an overdrive box here is 1400 pounds
    so M47 5 speed it has to be
    will also fit 240 rear axle
    7151 / 36joined Jul 2013
    What carbs are you using? There was never a factory 2. 5 16v on carbs in a car. They are only fitted to boats which are mounted upright.... And the 16v dcoe manifolds are for upright too.

You can buy a bellhousing to mount a m45/46/47 upright also.
  • 6 / 1joined Feb 2017
    yes it the boat motor with up right carbs
  • 6 / 1joined Feb 2017
    gives a claimed 170 horse power
    7151 / 36joined Jul 2013
    So my point stands. You don't need the engine leaned over to have the floats level! There is a company in the Netherlands or Sweden that sell bellhousings to suit. Any pics of the car and engine etc?

170hp doesn't seem worth it, unless you're planning to modify it more? My b20 will be making about 150hp with high compression and a worked head and smaller cam, with a kg cam, I'd expect 170.
  • jamesincJames (@jamesinc) Sydney NSW
    7281 / 399joined Jul 2013
    Can you clarify, you're taking a Penta B230, which was mounted upright originally, and you're using the Penta carb set up also, but want to mount the engine slanted to keep the floats level.

I'm confused about that last bit, if your setup was originally mounted upright, surely the carbs are only level when mounted upright?
    Vee_Que
    Or have you taken the Penta carbs and are using a Volvo cars inlet manifold, that would make sense why you want to slant the motor.
  • 6 / 1joined Feb 2017
    Hi
    The AQ250 is twin carbs
    in a boat it is mounted slanted just like in the car
    so if i was fitting in a 240 or 740 940 it would bolt strati in and to the gearbox as well
    would be a very easy swap

this is the first stage of a road not to long I hope get it in get it running
    2 fule injection
    3 turbo

looking to make a long distance cruiser some thing that will sit at 100 mph all day

as a bit more back ground I am running a 245 with Turbo that is a B230 block as well
    Ah okay I understand now. Well I'd say modifying the crossmember is probably the easiest route to be honest.
  • 6 / 1joined Feb 2017
    Hi
    are you saying cut a bit out of the back ?
    Basically, yes
    7151 / 36joined Jul 2013
    No. You should not need to modify the crossmember! The b230 pan is the same shape as the b20 one! I have them side by side if you don't believe that. I think you're using the wrong engine mounts and Its causing this issue. Modifying the crossmember makes no sense to do.
  • bgpzfm142bgpzfm142 (@bgpzfm142) near Katoomba NSW
    2149 / 116joined Feb 2014
    Hi
    if i mount on the slope dont to mess with the inlet and get the float highs right
    at a later date can fit injection and turbo all with standard volvo parts
    the M40 is only 4 speed an overdrive box here is 1400 pounds
    so M47 5 speed it has to be
    will also fit 240 rear axle

Which sump pans have you tried?

Not sure if the AQ171 (marine B230) sump pan is like the B230 car pan.

As @Vee_Que mentioned, a B20 sump pan will fit on a B230, but the pan will need to be deepened or the oil pump neck will need to be shortened. Using a B20 sump pan with a shortened oil pump on a B230 should not require any crossmember mods, if the engine mounting is done correctly.

Bear in mind also that a 740 engine bay has more width that an Amazon or 140 engine bay - to give you an idea visually of how much wider the Seven's engine bays are, here is a pic of a 140 cross member sitting on top of a 740's front chassis rails.

tovZDF7h.jpg

I have an idea that an Amazon's crossmember is a little bit narrower than the 140 unit, but that's not gospel. Either way, the 700/900 has more engine bay width between the rails than the Amazon or 140.

It's possible to get the OHC engine to sit upright in an Amazon without any hassle, and if you're planning to go turbo, IMHO you're better off doing this, right from the beginning. Why suffer the pain of carbs if you're planning to dump them later? You're best off skipping that carb phase and saving yourself a lot of money.
    1LQhVAhm.png
    71 1800E |73 144 |74 142 |74 145 |79 242GT |88 780 |93 945T |2010 S80 V8
    7151 / 36joined Jul 2013
    Amazon bays are narrower again, I noticed the other week working on a 140, after restoring my 122. The engine mounts are wider on a 140 then 122.

So, which sump are you using and which engine mounts?
    bgpzfm142
  • GarthGarth (@Garth) kakanui Otago
    208 / 17joined Jul 2013
    Would a 360 sump work they're fairly shallow ?
  • bgpzfm142bgpzfm142 (@bgpzfm142) near Katoomba NSW
    edited February 19 2149 / 116joined Feb 2014
    Would a 360 sump work they're fairly shallow ?

Oh no no no... they're a completely different shape.

Jeg2Jxmh.png
  • 6 / 1joined Feb 2017
    Hi
    the sump on the penta is the same as the car at the moment I am trying to cut the sump about
    but the problem is that even with the sump cut about so it fits with the engine in you cant get the engine in with the sump on
    so you have to fit the motor and wile it is hanging on a hoist you have to fit the oil pump then the sump then fit the gearbox
    7151 / 36joined Jul 2013
    Sounds like it's easier to use a b20 sump with adaptor plates and use stock engine mounts and not use the tilted manifold /fit dcoes