1983 240 6.0L LS2 V8 conversion

Comments

• Yes these are 1998 FD turbo calipers from an import. With your bracket they fit perfectly with the 740 turbo disc running dead center of the caliper.

Almost fell into a trap when modding the RX-7 hard line for use on the Volvo. Although the threads on the fittings are the same between the Volvo rubber hose and the RX-7 hard line (10x1.0mm), they have different style of flared ends.

In the end used the RX-7 hard line (reshaped), but cut the pipe at the hose end to re-flare the pipe as Volvo-Euro style at the hose end and then retain the Mazda-Japanese style at the caliper end. Below illustrates the difference.

bubble_flare_vs_double_flare.jpghow do i print screen
  • AshDVSAsh (@AshDVS) - Geelong, VIC
    Interesting. Whats the seat design like in the FD caliper? (ie where the hard line fits)
    Likes good coffee & motorsport. Builds stuff. Occasionally races stuff.
    f: https://www.facebook.com/DvsPerformanceParts
    twitter & instagram: ashd61 | w: http://www.dvs.net.au
  • This has long been the standard, Euro vehicles use what we call a ball flare at work (on the right in your pic) and most Asian and Australian cars use what we call a double flare or standard flare (left in your pic).

There are few exceptions to this, but certain Holdens used some ball flares for a while.

Flaring tools generally come with the adaptors to allow you to make both types of flare.

Looks like an excellent project so far, it'll be a weapon.
    I have over 300 parts for sale to suit 100, 200, 700 and 900 series Volvo's, for more info see: http://zyrex.org/gallery/Cars/acw/volvoparts/
    Updated April 21st 2016
  • Thanks Angus, yes that's right... flaring tool makes light work of either double or single flare. Just remember to slide the fitting on first ;-). Ash it's basically the Japanese style at the caliper end. You could just screw it all together with Japanese style flare at the hose end (which people seem to do), but I'm sure this would not be a good seal.
  • alphaxMichael (@alphax) Melbourne
    edited September 2016
    Assembly is in full swing now. Thanks Dad for calling me today and for the words of encouragement!

LS7 (7-litre) clutch and flywheel has been installed. Had to machine a spacer for the cocentric slave cylinder to achieve the correct amount of slave preload or crush (14 to 17mm).

20160924_091513_mod.jpg

20160924_090835_mod.jpg

Bolted the engine back in the car with painted brackets, correct clearances etc. Had to stand back and take a moment to look at it. My vision is coming to fruition! Amazing how many little surprises await you on a build like this. Even after having the car mocked up for a few months building various parts, issues still pop up here and there. It's always that way when you're trying to build something that no production line ever dreamed of...

20160924_133520_mod.jpg

20160924_133548_mod.jpg

20160924_133610_mod.jpg

20160924_134103_mod.jpg
  • SO much room for an HX50 at the front
    I think you need to add i was in an s80 with three wheels getting pulled backwards and was told to "hold on shit is about to get real".
  • SO much room for an HX50 at the front

Or a Lsyholm 2300, or both... stage 2 ;-)
  • Very nice photos, well done on the car
    previous: 67 Mini Deluxe, 84 BMW 318i, 04 Hilux, 74 KE20 w/ 4age turbo, 06 Ford XR6T, 12 Isuzu Dmax
    current: 08 Volvo V50 T5 AWD, 16 SS Sportwagon
  • Thanks SSBB... been a long Saturday and Sunday of Volvo works. Have to say a big thanks to my mate Stuart who has been an enormous help throughout this build so far. Watched/listened to some classic 80's movies in the shed on this re-powered Macintosh this weekend while working on the car!

20160925_095258_mod.jpg

Finished the clutch install. Took a while as decided to make plate steel master cylinder support for the firewall. One on each side of the firewall. Hard to see in these pics because it's pained Satin Black. Had to modify the WIllwood master cylinder pushrod by shortening it and cutting more thread on to it. Then had room to fit an adjustable clevis between the pedal and pushrod. Worked out well. Clutch bled up great.

20160925_101103_mod.jpg

Fitted these pedal rubbers from an early Volvo.. they match the the GM electronic throttle pedal pretty well! Had to slightly cut the back of the rubber to make them fit... but fit they do.

20160925_100059_mod.jpg

Started on the exhaust. Cat pipes from the headers are tacked up:

20160925_140540_mod.jpg

Test fitted the tail shaft for the first time. It fits. The tail shaft is stock Ford Explorer that has been lengthened about 100mm. It provides the slip yoke that the transmission does not have as the output flange is fixed. These shafts have beefy 1330 series universal joints and of course bolt right up to the rear end since it's also Ford Explorer. I'm even using the old universal joints which seem mint!

20160925_140623_mod.jpg

More exhaust work. Here also is a pic of the adapter made to mount the stock Ford Explorer tail shaft flange onto the tri-flange output on the Tremec TR6060. This area of the tunnel has been widened to accommodate the adapter. Stock 240 tunnel would skim this adapter on both sides.

20160925_185840_mod.jpg

This is about as far as the exhaust has come this weekend. Got the Cat's and pipes made up, flex pipes, hanger bracket one just near the transmission, X-pipe and then twin pipes just shy of the diff. Next up is to mount the new transverse rear muffler

20160925_185722_mod.jpg
  • Vee_QueVee_Que (@Vee_Que) South Eastern suburbs Melbourne.
    The work and photos look awesome!
  • PaddlerEdPaddler Ed (@PaddlerEd) New England Region, NSW
    Trick the guy I get my exhaust parts from had for lining everything up was 2x big hose clamps and a couple of pieces of metal (could even be coke can or bundy can). Hose clamp either side of the join, slip in 3 pieces of metal and tighten up the hose clamps; easy enough to move things around, secure enough to allow removal to get easier access for welding.

Clicky here to see what I mean
    good old fArmidale, where money comes in both kinds; cash and grog
  • Being following this thread from the start and wish I couldn't as it makes me feel so inferior as a man.....top work wish I had the skills
  • Good to see the progress over the last couple of weeks. Nice work.

Before finishing the exhaust, manufacture and install a tail shaft loop. Will be a request from the engineer for sure. Also, be sure to leave the wheel spacers off when presenting the car. They hate these also.
    edited September 2016
    Being following this thread from the start and wish I couldn't as it makes me feel so inferior as a man.....top work wish I had the skills

But just think of all the money and time you have saved by not doing this!
    carnut222Klaptrap24
  • I'd keep the spacers on it, once approved by the engineer you won't have future cop or insurance hassles.
    edited September 2016
    I'd keep the spacers on it, once approved by the engineer you won't have future cop or insurance hassles.
    Good to see the progress over the last couple of weeks. Nice work.

Before finishing the exhaust, manufacture and install a tail shaft loop. Will be a request from the engineer for sure. Also, be sure to leave the wheel spacers off when presenting the car. They hate these also.

Yes, you are correct Sir... Tail shaft loop is on the list to be done!

The vehicle modification guidelines in Victoria rule out the use of spacers - unless provided by the Original Equipment Manufacturer. This acknowledges that spacers do exist in OEM application, such as Porsche or Volvo. That means there is opportunity to engineer a spacer. A 6.0L engine is not factory fitted to a Volvo 240 either, but it can be made legal.

Also, it should not be assumed that a hub adapter is a spacer. The guidelines do not mention anything about hub adapters. (5x108 to 5x114.3). They both have a specific technical function and are not interchangeable in form or function.

If a hub adapter is used with a wheel offset that places the tyre contact patch (track) in a stock, or near stock position, then what exactly has been 'spaced'? Not the wheel/tyre in relation to the chassis! This is obviously very different to spacing wheels out for a net track increase.
  • The one thing I discovered with engineers is if they don't like something they do not have to justify their position. They consider themselves to be the last, and most important part of the registration process, and as such they can/will flaunt their authority accordingly.
    edited September 2016
    The one thing I discovered with engineers is if they don't like something they do not have to justify their position. They consider themselves to be the last, and most important part of the registration process, and as such they can/will flaunt their authority accordingly.

Just have to follow their directions. Spacers and adapters have been engineered before.
  • I haven't seen anything in VSB14 that rules out spacers or adaptors from being covered by a VASS cert in Vic, so if the engineer passes it then it becomes legal.

I would think that if an engineer fails an item and can't or won't explain why to their customer, then there's a good chance they won't get paid.
  • Vee_QueVee_Que (@Vee_Que) South Eastern suburbs Melbourne.
    I've got an article from an engineer in my latest Australian street rod magazine that says they are not acceptable for any reason.
    penta242gt