1983 240 6.0L LS2 V8 conversion

Comments

• doing the internal master on the clutch?
    I think you need to add i was in an s80 with three wheels getting pulled backwards and was told to "hold on shit is about to get real".
  • External with remote reservoir
  • Will that firewall end up flexing? Or will you get a thicker plate there for the clutch master cylinder somehow?
    previous: 67 Mini Deluxe, 84 BMW 318i, 04 Hilux, 74 KE20 w/ 4age turbo, 06 Ford XR6T, 12 Isuzu Dmax
    current: 08 Volvo V50 T5 AWD, 16 SS Sportwagon
  • Vee_QueVee_Que (@Vee_Que) South Eastern suburbs Melbourne.
    They all flex on the older volvos.
  • We welded a 6mm plate into my ke20 for the clutch master cylinder. It was solid after that
  • It doesn't seem all that weak there to me, as the master bolts up to an area where there are sheet metal folds around mounting points. Bolting in a spreader plate might be a good option. Thanks for the input.
  • alphaxMichael (@alphax) Melbourne
    edited April 2018
    I repaired the clutch pedal last night. The hole for clevis pin was a little worn. Drilled out the pedal, knocked in an oversize steel plug made from a hardened bolt, welded it in there, machined it flat again and drilled the hole for a 5/16th clevis pin to match the Wilwood M/C. Then sanded and painted both pedals.

20160704_180046.jpg

20160704_191645.jpg

20160704_204815.jpg

20160704_222200.jpg
    edited April 2018
    Engine about to be removed for the last time... Pressure washing entire underside.

20160710_164201_resized_1.jpg

Almost finished up the Ford 8.8" housing

20160710_160907_resized.jpg

Which wheel would you say is the heaviest here, and by how much?

20160706_205242_resized.jpg

Any guesses?

20160706_203737_resized.jpg
  • AshDVSAsh (@AshDVS) - Geelong, VIC
    Looking great.
    The diff housing jig is excellent!
    Likes good coffee & motorsport. Builds stuff. Occasionally races stuff.
    f: https://www.facebook.com/DvsPerformanceParts
    twitter & instagram: ashd61 | w: http://www.dvs.net.au
  • I'm going to guess the large steelie but I'd be interested in hearing the weights.
    '88 245
    '88 245 turbo
  • Thanks Ash, a mate of mine did a great job building that jig.

The weight of those wheels is very interesting. I don't have the overall numbers with me at the moment, but the differences (and lack of difference) is surprising.

The Alloy wheel is a factory EVO 7 17x8. It's 1.8kg heavier than the Volvo 15x6 steel wheel. The 17x7.5 Ford Kuga steel wheel is just 100 grams heavier than the EVO 7 wheel!

So.. I learned a few things.

- Big wheels weigh a lot
    - Alloy wheels aren't necessarily light
    - Steel wheels aren't necessarily heavy compared to alloy wheels

Would be interesting to compare to some proper light weight racing wheels
    Ive found that, my 17x7 and 8 3 peice brs poison rims weigh less than 15x6 volvo steelies and alloy. But the tyre makes a big difference i find. On trucks/buses, with a re tread on vs clean skin, the Alcoa weighs a heap more.
  • Ive found that, my 17x7 and 8 3 peice brs poison rims weigh less than 15x6 volvo steelies and alloy. But the tyre makes a big difference i find. On trucks/buses, with a re tread on vs clean skin, the Alcoa weighs a heap more.

Interesting... Yes, I would imagine Work wheels etc to be very light weight. Would have to beneficial in several ways. Too fancy looking for this build though :)
    edited April 2018
    Engine ready to come out.

20160712_195205_resized.jpghost image

Engine out.

20160712_204634_resized.jpgimgurl

Manual pedal box is in. Bracket made for electronic throttle pedal.. Factory Volvo mounts almost made for it!

20160712_220548_resized.jpgimg
    Ive found that, my 17x7 and 8 3 peice brs poison rims weigh less than 15x6 volvo steelies and alloy. But the tyre makes a big difference i find. On trucks/buses, with a re tread on vs clean skin, the Alcoa weighs a heap more.

Interesting... Yes, I would imagine Work wheels etc to be very light weight. Would have to beneficial in several ways. Too fancy looking for this build though :)
    For me, they cost 550 and I get a better choice of rims. Plus people think steelies means sleeper most of the time now anyway.
  • Yeah you can't beat that... just not the vibe I want on this particular 240
    Sorry. Meant tyres. But yeah, it wouldn't suit a 240 like they suit a 740. Looking forward to more progress though.
    edited April 2018
    Oh ok, gotcha.. thanks

More progress.. engine mounts are finished.
    There is another identical set of mounts ready to go if anybody is interested.

engine_mounts.jpg

Bushes pressed in

engine_mount_bush_in.jpg

GM sump has been modified for clearance. PN is 19212593

sump_shortened.jpg

Big thanks to Daniel and the guys in Geelong for laying some of this groundwork and making the engine mounts available.

This weekend will be a big one... Some very early starts. Goal is to massage the trans tunnel as needed and have the engine sittng in there by Sunday afternoon... in order to determine shifter location, exhaust options and carry on.

20160430_131701.jpgpost images
  • Nice work, thanks for sharing! Very interested in how u go with that transmission tunnel.
    I recently talked someone into doing a different conversion because of the gearbox. Hope you don't make me eat humble pie.