Al's XC90

Comments

• Ex850RSnoopy @Ex850R Somewhere Over the Rainbow. Melbourne.
    Fire.
    bigal
  • Spiders are scared of snakes
    Fill the car with snakes and leave it for a few days
    bigal
  • gavinhGav @gavinh Parmelia, Perth
    @bigal it's just a wee hairy spider, it only bites if you severely piss it off...oh you probably have done that already.uOZnn9Ph.jpg
    Ex850Rbigal
    Where do you take your fluids? Be nice to find a place where you can just pour it in rather than having to keep saving and filling 3L milk bottles!

Am in WA, but shouldn't most council tips have an oil recycling depot?
  • Went to bunnings yesterday and bought some non toxic insect glue traps and setup all 4 of them in the car in various locations. Also a bit of Raid gassing under the seats where I last saw him. No sign of the 8 legged furry face latching alien this morning on my drive to work.

Time to move on and forget about him.. well, try at least.
  • pastryPastry @pastry Mittagong NSW
    Am in WA, but shouldn't most council tips have an oil recycling depot?

yep mine of course takes oil, just not sure if most take it "loose"
    Yeah I would Imagen they would take it loose, I have a 20l drum I use.
  • bigalbigal @bigal Tasmania
    edited June 2017
    Going to have to do something about this stinking fuel issue most likely coming from the fuel pump (the common leak). Been doing some googling and it appears if I remove the 2nd row seats the carpet can roll back from here. Seems to be a much quicker task than rolling the carpet back from the rear, removing half the cabin and 3rd row seats. @pastry What do you think?
  • pastryPastry @pastry Mittagong NSW
    yeah seems to be what they say, you just unbolt the front of the 3rd row too perhaps if it won't budge?

The way I did it was time consuming but relatively easy. The worst bit was getting the 3rd row frame out. Other than that I don't think there's any need to be afraid of it, if you can afford to have the car off the road for a few days so you can take your time.
    bigal
  • I found carpet was still in the way and wanted clearer / cleaner workspace so removed the carpet after loosening the 3rd row seat frame but leaving the seats in place.
    Allow yourself half a day so as not to rush it - its not a quick task first time.
    bigal
  • How many km's on your 90 @pauljloz ?
    edited September 2017
    It was time to give the 90 some TLC. It was filthy inside and out. Thoughts of buying the brand new XC60 started popping into my head (boy are they nice!). I eventually came to the realisation it would be smarter to just clean my ride.

So to kick things off I gave it a vacuum, restored the very poor sun damaged headlights, gave it a wash and applied a sticker. I now feel like driving it to a million kms.. great machine.

Restoring the headlights took hours but very rewarding.

Lots of pics..

YbLn4eD.jpg

Aifhk3N.jpg

gOuA7FV.jpg

TNGlyWU.jpg

dhX85LY.jpg

5WiXw2L.jpg

dVBLuZG.jpg

nSSsM0m.jpg

qgRIyiz.jpg

k611UyP.jpg

sr5s0AW.jpg
    My v70 the same, it's the missus car and the kids run a muck, it's that bad that you could grow tatties in the back and it pisses me off.
    edited September 2017
    @gavinh when you say v70 do you mean the v70 XC or do you have a fwd v70 also? I do hope you have at least 1 Volvo that's nothing but yours to keep A1.

The XC90 is so nice to drive now it's clean again.. makes for a nice start to the day.
  • Great job Al, what did you use on the lights? Bit of sandpaper and some polishing compound, finish up with the drill?

My XC is finally in the shed ready for its pampering / new engine. One day soon it'll come out sparkling, but like you guys I know a week later it'll be absolutely shit up, and I'll have to try to ignore it..

• Thanks. I had a few headlight restore kits kicking around, 2 were new and unopened so I selected bits from all of them. To start with used the SuperCheap drill headlight restore kit with the velcro drill pad and started on some rough sandpaper, 320 grade (probably a bit too hardcore really). Then worked my way up to 2000 grade paper. I wasn't satisfied with the results so started all over again with the hand sandpaper kit starting from 600 and worked my way up to the 3000. I was lubricating the lights all time with a soapy water mix in a hand sprayer. I then tried Meguires Plastic X as a final cut compound but wasn't satisfied so got some heavy Kitten cutting compound and went to town with a foam pad drill disc and this is when it started to look like glass. Basically it was just playing around till I got it right.

If I were to do it all over again I would go to Bunnings and get some 600, 1000, 2000 and 3000 grade paper. Sand it by hand while lubricating all the time with soapy water. The goal is to make sure it gets an even sanded look all over the light before going up to the next grade\level. If you wipe the light dry it's easy to tell if you've missed a spot. Then get some heavy cutting compound and got nuts with a drill and foam polishing pad (keep it moving, don't heat up the plastic by staying in one spot as the plastic gets warm). I think that's all you'd really need. Sealing it off with a fresh coat of UV protection sealer would be ideal but I couldn't be bothered. Maybe down the track I'll do that.. or I'll just give them a cut polish every year instead.

Don't give up on the XC! Keep at it. I've only just found my Volvo mojo again.
    pastry
    @gavinh when you say v70 do you mean the v70 XC or do you have a fwd v70 also? I do hope you have at least 1 Volvo that's nothing but yours to keep A1.

The XC90 is so nice to drive now it's clean again.. makes for a nice start to the day.

Yeah sorry V70XC, I have a 85 244 running and registered and 80 264, which is a working progress, getting ready for an engine transplant. When I get round to it.
    Ex850R
  • So much for having a clean vehicle.. my a-hole cat decided to walk all over it with thick muddy clay paws and sit his muddy a-hole on the bonnet. Looks terrible.

He does this after I wash the 911 too.

Bastard cat!
    pastry
  • wouldn't be a proper cat if he didn't.