Al's XC90

Comments

• bigalbigal (@bigal) Tasmania
    edited May 2017
    Not sure if many people are interested in my XC90 adventures but I'll keep the thread going anyway. Someone might appreciate it. Good records to keep and show what it's like to keep a 2.5T XC90 in good order and on the road. It's running extremely well and serving me reliably as a daily. Tiny bit thirsty on fuel but what it gives me in comfort and safety is all worth it. The bonus is I no longer get speeding tickets. I used to average 1 every 6 months in the Audi so this is helping.

Latest thing to sort were the terrible key fobs.. The spring loaded key was busted on both. My main drivers key was held together with tape after it was dropped and fell apart. I had to tape the key in the out position.. situation was ridiculous so it was time to do something about it by buying some chinese ebay fobs and transfer the guts over.

1 fob done. Not touching the spare original until this one performs reliably for a month. So far so good.

The only tricky thing was carefully busting out the little chip (transponder chip?). A pair of little snippers, small flat head screwdriver to pry it out and patience is all that's needed.

KGVI9fS.jpg

And here we have the new fob. Transferred the buttons over to this new case as the printing of the words on the chinese ones were all over the place and on angles.

t1FJRFU.jpg
    Ex850RJamest5r_Vee_Quepieboyfresh
  • Ex850RSnoopy (@Ex850R) Somewhere Over the Rainbow. Melbourne.
    I don't know about the others but I care.
    Keep em coming.
    bigalRob
  • pastryPastry (@pastry) Mittagong NSW
    yeah i'm reading along too! Neither of us are doing anything particularly exciting at this stage but it's good to see you looking after it, and any source of knowledge is always VERY welcome. That's why I still love forums over FB – it's persistent, there for anyone to look up when needed. So please keep posting!
    bigal
    edited May 2017
    and hey at least yours is 3 pages of useful/interesting stuff and not 8 pages of bollocks! ;)
    [Deleted User]bigal
  • Cool. It's scheduled in for some tinker time this weekend so will get pics. Oil and filter change at least but would like to finally get those hydraulic engine mounts in. I keep saying I'll do them but then get lazy.

Might do a 2nd drain and fill on the tranny while at it. First one made a great difference.
  • TzantushkaTrent (@Tzantushka) E. suburbs - Melbourne
    Yes more, please!
    If it doesn't help others I reckon it's therapy for you :)
    @bigal did you follow a particular guide for your ATF flush or just roll with what @Ex850R posted?

Got to do mine, downshift getting a bit lumpy.
    edited June 2017
    I just did the very basic single drain and fill. Watched some youtube vids so you know where to fill and which bolt is the drain plug.

About to do another drain and fill. Doing it this way to avoid fluid shock by introducing slowly.

I'll do the proper flush method over summer I reckon.

The first drain and fill made it happy though.. still shifting well.
  • There should be some updates coming this weekend. I have a not so busy weekend ahead so some car tinkering is scheduled. It needs a wash badly!
    i hear ya. Gets about half the old fluid out, right?

Worth seeing if that helps mine, then I can follow your lead and do another one later before a proper flush – wonder how long its been, 210k kms now and doubt it's been well looked after for at least the last 50k.
    edited June 2017
    Serviced the XC90 today. Oil, oil filter and a 2nd trans drain and fill.

Some pics..

OV0UQj2.jpg

Highly recommend the flexible tube for fluid delivery on these.. it would be a royal pain without it.

ngJaxQa.jpg

qspMiFA.jpg

r45ShXE.jpg

And thought I'd show my fluid changing kit. The plastic bag contains the ATF funnel and flexible tube to keep it from getting contaminated. The awesome oil catch bottle with an easy emptying cap on the side, general funnel and a block of wood to chock up the oil catch bottle if on a slight lean. Just a small thing worth sharing.. keeps things neat and tidy.

0eZfLfq.jpg

Only had a chance to drive it around the block afterwards as a quick test.. all feels and sounds very smooth. Will see how it performs tomorrow going to work and back. On odd occasions the trans will still clunk when slowing down then stepping on it to take off again. I think one day I will be fitting the Rostra solenoids on the Valve Body.. they look the sh*t.
    Where do you take your fluids? Be nice to find a place where you can just pour it in rather than having to keep saving and filling 3L milk bottles!
    @bigal did you follow a particular guide for your ATF flush or just roll with what @Ex850R posted?

Got to do mine, downshift getting a bit lumpy.

I know nothing and everything....
    edited June 2017
    I have quite a few old oil bottles full and a 20L one full. All on the trailer waiting to go to the recycling place next to the tip where they empty the bottles for me for free. I ask for the bottles back. Works well.
  • Just been driving the misus's kia sportage tonight.. damn they are zippy! XC90 really does feel like a battle tank in comparison.. still love it though.
    edited June 2017
    Huntsman in the xc90! Not cool.

Unloaded half a can and shut the doors. Will find the bastard tomorrow.
    It went and hid somewhere and held its breath...
    just as you crest a hill into blinding morning sunshine, there it is under the sun visor you just opened. Surprise!
  • Ha. Best vehicle to be in when panic sets in and it rolls off the highway.

This huntsman is freaking me out now. Looking everywhere. All junk out, all 7 seats moved back, forward, up and down.. no sign of him.

Might go trade it in.