Slowbrick's 240 Turbo

in RWD 2296 / 46joined Oct 2013
I figured it was about time I created a thread for my car. I've had it since 2008 and in that time a lot of things have happened. Its taken me a lot of places and I have met a few fantastic people because of it. I have spent many hours behind the wheel and just as many under the bonnet and cleaning the paint. Sadly it sits dusty in the garage awaiting me to bring it back onto the road. Much like Julian I plan on transplanting a T5 motor in to replace the redblock that is in there now. This isnt because I dont like the redblock but because ever since owning the V70 ive decided I need another T5 in my life. I will use this thread as a progress diary of the build.

Well lets begin with where we are:

Engine: B230FX+T with stock pistons, rods, crank
Head: 531 with a KG2T
Gearbox: M47
Diff: Stock 3.73
Fuel: Stock LH2.2 turbo computer and ignition. 850 Orange top injectors, Bosch 044 main pump and 740 turbo intank
Suspension: Lovells lowering springs, Bilstein B6's, IPD adjustable panhard, IPD adjustable torque rods, 26mm Falcon front sway bar
Brakes: Stock 240mm brakes
Wheels: Gemini's
Exhaust: Custom 3 inch exhaust with one muffler in the middle and 200cell cat.

Here are my plans:
Engine: 95-97 B5234T3 with H beams (havent worked out pistons yet)
Gearbox: Mustang T5 world class 2.95 box
Diff: VL or True trac locker
Fuel: Aftermarket, possibly VEMS. Seems like people have had good success with it OS. Will be going for COP ignition.
Suspension: Front coilover struts, shortened rears. Poly bushings all round. Keeping the falcon bar and upgrading the rear to a 23mm
Brakes: Convert to something larger using the S60 adapters. Will most likely put on the 280mm rotors from an 850/S70
Wheels: Gemini's or Galaxies. Havent decided.
Exhaust: Keeping the 3 inch exhaust.
Exterior: Fix the dent I put in it two years ago in the rear quarter. Black trim. Remove bottom trim, weld holes and paint black. Flat bootlid.

This will be a slow project and i will be working on things one at at time. The crazy fast projects I've done before have been fun but this time I want to go Barry White on this and take it slow. Here are some pictures for those who arent familiar with what my car looks like.

eqSqt86.jpg

CufdEvW.jpg
8vXMAeG.jpg
gyoQKto.jpg
adtRuo1.jpg
pMbJYKL.jpg
bTAxPZo.jpg

Comments

• OvloverOPat (@Ovlover) Sutherland Shire, Sydney
    203 / 27joined Aug 2014
    Never seen photos of your 240. Wish I'd seen them earlier, that's clean. Good work! Very jelly of the Geminis/Galaxies, do want.
  • Vee_QueVee_Que (@Vee_Que) South Eastern suburbs Melbourne.
    7336 / 36joined Jul 2013
    No need to do pistons, much like a redblock, they handle a lot of abuse.
  • 9297 / 77joined Jul 2013
    I can do you a T6 motor for whatever price you where going to pay for a T5 motor
    Advantages
    1. Don't need to fuck around with the oil pan
    2. 3 L instead of 2.5L, (more displacement is win)
    3. EMS is much easier
    4. Make big power without needing to replace rods or pistons (300KW is safe)
    5. Homers mounts still work

Downside
    1. Need make manifold
    I think you need to add i was in an s80 with three wheels getting pulled backwards and was told to "hold on shit is about to get real".
  • FingersFingers (@Fingers) Old Junee
    81 / 3joined Jul 2013
    T6 = moar powah :)
    Richard
  • edited April 2016 2296 / 46joined Oct 2013
    Never seen photos of your 240. Wish I'd seen them earlier, that's clean. Good work! Very jelly of the Geminis/Galaxies, do want.

I was very lucky to get them!

I can do you a T6 motor for whatever price you where going to pay for a T5 motor
    Advantages
    1. Don't need to fuck around with the oil pan
    2. 3 L instead of 2.5L, (more displacement is win)
    3. EMS is much easier
    4. Make big power without needing to replace rods or pistons (300KW is safe)
    5. Homers mounts still work

Downside
    1. Need make manifold

I thought about going for a T6 or even just an NA 6 for the noise but TBH the noise that a T5 makes is just so good. Its about 40% why im going down this route. I would need to drive a T6 and see what its like before I commit. That being said there is still a tonne of other work to do so im not rushing into anything just yet.

I mean just listen to this. LISTEN TO THIS!
  • Ex850RSnoopy (@Ex850R) Somewhere Over the Rainbow. Melbourne.
    9479 / 172joined Jul 2013
    I grin most every day at the sound and growly feel of mine on max boost. You got a 2.4 to go in? Much better bottom end. Screw boost up and it pulls like train down low.
    Spac -
    "High speed rail, Melbourne to Brisvegas!
    I retain a deep suspicion, but maybe these shitcunts will actually manage to do something not entirely shit?"
  • jamesincJames (@jamesinc) Oz Volvo Ice Fortress
    7441 / 409joined Jul 2013
    Ryan gets it. Dat T5 sound is unbeatable.
  • Ex850RSnoopy (@Ex850R) Somewhere Over the Rainbow. Melbourne.
    9479 / 172joined Jul 2013
    Even better with lots of superpro in the mounts. Feeeeeeellll it!
  • 2296 / 46joined Oct 2013
    I grin most every day at the sound and growly feel of mine on max boost. You got a 2.4 to go in? Much better bottom end. Screw boost up and it pulls like train down low.

I dont have anything to go into it yet. The T5 sound is just something that makes me smile everytime i hear it. Also has it so happens Roger-Dee is going a group buy on T5 adapter plates that ends in April. Looks like fate has made its decision :D
    7336 / 36joined Jul 2013
    You can already get off the shelf t56 adaptors.

The note of the 5cyl changes with the better manifold, but they are ok. A compact swap.
    I dont have a t56 box, i only have the T5. I thought the t56 was a larger box with a different pattern.
  • 320 / 14joined Jan 2015
    You are correct @Slowbrick
    Interesting project, looking forward to updates!
  • user48736353002user48736353002 (@user48736353002) Melbourne, Australia
    76 / 19joined Aug 2015
    Any photos of intercooler installation?
    I tried to find some but I couldnt find any on Photobucket or my Google Photos. I did find these photos though!
    jmvCG6V.jpg
    aemIrhQ.jpg
    QlC53Mh.jpg

Lol @ the orange intercooler piping. That was about 2 weeks after the swap and I peer pressured by Brendan to paint it a "non boring" colour. Needless to say it was definitely "non boring".
  • jamesincJames (@jamesinc) Oz Volvo Ice Fortress
    7441 / 409joined Jul 2013
    @Slowbrick did you bother mounting your pod filter to anything? I'm trying to work out the best way to secure the pod filter, but still let the engine rock side to side.
    7336 / 36joined Jul 2013
    You fit a longer joiner and attatch the amm down. Simple really.
    Yeh i just bent a small piece of steel and screwed it into the body and the other side into the AMM. Worked fine.
    So im now conflicted between the T5 and the T6. Obviously we all know what a T5 sounds like...but then i heard this...

Fuarrrrk
    7336 / 36joined Jul 2013
    T6 would be epic, like the Poi had.
    Im having a look at Karls and Captain Bondos builds and they look mad. 300whp out of 10psi. Mike deets on the t6 you have?