2019 Nationals in Bathurst are 8-10 November, just over three months away! Make sure to register at ozvolvo.org/nationals!

1989 Volvo 740GL Headliner Install

Hey guys, not too sure where i could post this but recently i redid the headliner on my Volvo 740 sedan and i figured you guys would appreciate it.

Few photos of the process and the final product. Had to take out the seat to get the board out. Took around 6 hours without any major problems.

Pr3dBli.jpg
5jXFNbp.jpg
nLPPdBd.jpg
ypwLf74.jpg
7P6ViNm.jpg

Comments

• jamesincJames (@jamesinc) Oz Volvo Ice Fortress
    That is a cracking headliner, love the floral pattern
    goodenough
  • +1
    Love the fabric. Excellent choice.
  • Vee_QueVee_Que (@Vee_Que) South Eastern suburbs Melbourne.
    I don't understand the love of these sorts of headlinings. I wouldn't put them in my house as curtains, so why on a roof? Seriously, an actual explanation would be awesome.

Any more pics and info on the car?
    ALVO360goodenough
    edited March 2016
    @Vee_Que I don't understand why you don't love it. Plz to explanation.

Bur seriously it's personal preference. Old mate clearly likes it, and it's his car, so that's all that matters. Personally I like the personal touch of unique hand made pieces. If I wanted to see a mint Volvo I'd go to Gothenburg you know?
  • Yeh, the car was $600 including 2 months rego and i figure i'm going to drive it into the ground rather than ever sell it. Headlining was disgusting when i bought it and i figured if i was gonna put in the effort i may as well do something a bit different. Obviously not everyone's gonna like it but as a uni student i've received good feedback from people around my age (18 - 20s).

More info on the car;
    1989 Volvo 740 sedan, Auto, Mechanically completely stock, Slight rust on body panels, No fuel gauge or speedo;
    Considering lowering it or getting stiffer springs so it handles less boat like, maybe a turbo once i get off my p's.

11887921_850548648327680_8907887897642448508_n.jpg?oh=ac9104e0d420c557a6a150a68b157c0d&oe=5795E582

Nothing too special but a steal for $600
    edited March 2016
    @ChiefSOSA I used to drive a 740 Turbo Wagon. They're great once you get the suspension stiffened up. I used lowered King springs and Bilstein B6 (a.k.a. HD) shocks. Used polyurethane bushings for the rear panhard rod, that was probably the single biggest change in ride from one set of bushings.

A cheap (free) performance tweak that you can do right now is the camber mod. You just knock the front stud out of the strut top, push it in as far it will go, then drill it and put the stud back in. Should get you to -1 degree of camber, and is Volvo approved. For best results, find a friendly wheel alignment place and do the mod with the car sitting on the alignment machine. That way you can set the camber precisely before drilling the strut top again.
    Lowered kings are just about the only option, both my 740t and 760 ran them, still use the Bilsteins in them. But they don't lower much, however the ride improves to modern levels.
  • I'm fairly new to working on cars, this is my first car and i've really only worked on the stereo and interior. Is it possible to simply put new springs in the current shocks in the car or must i buy new ones all together?

Also from my understanding the speedo runs off a cable from the differential, i'm 100% sure this is why my speedo doesn't work and i've had a quick look under the car but i'm not sure where everything is. Any advice on fixing the speedo would be great.
    Not a cable, just wiring. Its common for the wiring at the diff the rub through. Or the speedo gear dies.

No you don't need to Change shocks when doing springs, but it does make a real difference to handling if you do.
  • What are my options to fix the speedo at the dif? once im under the car is it as simple as connecting some wiring?
    There should be a little plug + wires on the back face of the diff.
  • RomerJon17Ansett Driver (@RomerJon17) Frankston, Melbourne
    edited August 9

I know this post is over years ago... But damn, you removed the seat and removed the board without cracking it? 😳

• Removed the front passenger seat entirely, removed the plastic panels along the roof and very carefully finnessed the panel out the rear door from memory. The panel got ever so slightly damaged along the light housing but i just glued the light to the roof and it was sweet. Cars gone now sadly, was the best $600 ive ever spent.

RomerJon17
  • I think you mean remove the rear board without cracking it and without removing the rear window

• RomerJon17Ansett Driver (@RomerJon17) Frankston, Melbourne
    edited August 9

I've sprayed the front and rear headliners 5 to 10 times with an adhesive spray made by USA. Sadly it made some adhesive spray stains on the fabric. Anyway I don't mind about it.

I'll try to manage to remove the board without cracking it. It will be a messy job because of orange foam. This could be my next project in year 2020 or next 2 years.

Damn $600.00. My Volvo 740 1989 was a family car but now it's my car. Still love the model and comfort.

goodenough