Reminder: videos and articles you find on the web all belong in the off-topic section, even if they are about Volvos.

140 Car cranks, not starting

Hey all, we've recently been having issues with my 144 Fuel Injected. The distributor has had the point gap set a 9 thou and now it won't run at all, we are getting spark at the points however. Is it possible the condenser has gone out? An aftermarket regulator has been setup too, it seems to run completely fine.

Tagged:

Comments

• jamesincJames @jamesinc Oz Volvo Ice Fortress

Have you verified a good spark from the spark plugs?

SlowandSlow
  • I have checked the spark plugs and all seems to be going fine.

If you are seeing spark then it's probably not the ignition. You could have a failed condenser but usually the car will still run with a failed condenser. Do you have a multimeter that can test capacitance? If so you could test the condenser to verify.

How about fuel? When you removed a spark plug, did you notice if it was wet with fuel?

• There wasn't any fuel iirc, all the areas related to fuel have been checked as well but it seems to be spark. Injectors are original but all buildup has been cleaned up.

• DauntlessDauntless @Dauntless Central West NSW

A quick spray of starting fluid into the intake should confirm spark and timing are close enough and pretty much confirm a fuel problem.

jamesinc242GT
  • That was attempted and the distributor was moved but it still wasn't doing anything. The timing was done and it hasn't changed anything either.

• It does fire but it isn't firing properly and won't start, it is a k-jet if that does help

KJet is sensitive mostly to incorrect fuel pressures and vac leaks. I'd take a close look at your air duct between the fuel distributor and the engine and then all the smaller vsc hoses and manifold and just confirm nothing has a split or has come loose or something. You'd then want to test fuel pressures but it takes a bit of doing.

If you go to Oz Volvo's archive (https://ozvolvo.org/archive/) and search "K-Jet" you will find some service manuals that have diagnostic procedures for KJet, which may also be helpful.

• We thought we had spark, we were checking the spark in the lead, but the plugs were faulty. They were less then a year old and yet died. What could cause it? New plugs and it's better then ever.

jamesinc

The tips of the spark plugs may give some clues, do you have a close up photo of them?

• Sadly not but I will get a picture after work. I'm wondering if a condenser can cause them to die. It's just crazy 8 month old plugs would go out so quick?

A failed condenser can accelerate wear of the points and ignition leads and potentially the spark plugs also, although the plugs are somewhat protected due to the high tension (aka high resistance) leads that sit between them and the coil. It is easy to check the condenser with a multimeter measuring capacitance. IIRC Volvo usually use 0.2uF condensers, however any value from say 0.15uF to 0.3uF would be acceptable. A failed condenser would show a capacitance of zero or near zero. Disconnect the condenser from the points and the coil primary, place the multimeter positive lead on the condenser terminal and multimeter negative lead on the screw that holds the condenser onto the distributor, and allow up to ten seconds or so for the multimeter to take a stable measurement.