Reminder: videos and articles you find on the web all belong in the off-topic section, even if they are about Volvos.

WTB TD04HL 18T turbo

I’m chasing a genuine Mitsubishi TD04HL in the elusive 18T. I don’t mind if it needs a rebuild, or if the hot side has seen better days.

Thanks!

Comments

• Ex850RSnoopy @Ex850R Somewhere Over the Rainbow. Melbourne.

Have you looked Kinegawa?

Newer technology with warranty and can come more suited to what you want , say , low down torque.

• shadycourgetteShady @shadycourgette Planet Perth
    edited July 28

I have, they don’t offer the TD04 in 18t. Only Viva sell new OEM units, but they’re $2k+..

• The kinugawa units go ok, and what's wrong with the 19t? So many better turbochargers to choose from if your prepared to spend 2k.

Don't be constrained by names, a KKK or Borg Warner s40t5 turbo is going to be miles better than an ancient old Mitsui

Vee_Que
  • I think is all the supporting mods to go with the 19T that @shadycourgette doesn't have thats why she doesn't want a 19T. Most forums state 19T's are rod benders ect ect and you need injectors ect ect.

For me if any turbo upgrade is happening I would change the boost hoses and change to a bigger intercooler as more than likely the boost will get tuned up at some stage.

If your on a budget it might be worth just getting a proper tune to suit the 16T then you get safe bang for your buck.

• I guess, but an 18t/19t are very close in size anyways, they would both bend rods with lousy tunes or mbc

Vee_Que
  • @Ex850R I would rather stick with a TD04 as it is OEM

@TL_V70 even with an 18T you still need bigger injectors and a tune which I was going to do.

From what I’ve read, to make the most of a 19t you need a FMIC, 4.4 ecu, upgraded MAF, coil pack, fuel pump relay, connecting rods and pistons. I’m just not at that point with the car yet and it doesn’t really interest me to chase power tbh.

Try a manual boost controller.

I wound up the boost on a V70T auto, it had a R gearbox computer, big eBay intercooler and large diameter RIP kit , it was a torque monster, the bendy rods thing is an internet story full stop.

Would have to some ridiculous things to bend those rods.

• radoSteve'o @rado Shoalwater WA

I'm still running oem injectors with the mods I'm running and on let's say full booooost I'm running a little rich . So no not necessarily have to change injectors . I'm running an mbc as well just gotta be careful not to floor it under 3k . Works for me . I'll change after the top half of the engine is rebuild but works a treat ri g ht now .

Anyways , were clogging up a wanted ad folks me included , sorry shady

shadycourgette
  • Yet people still manage to. I’d rather be safe than sorry.

• And NO MBC don't do it thats where people come unstuck. Pistons and rods are not super necessary it depends how you drive and how its tuned and how much boost.

Coil not needed fuel pump is if running bigger boost or to replace old tired unit and bigger intercooler is recommended ebay do $250 dollar units . Deautschworks DW200 is fine and not to expensive or hard to fit for a fuel pump upgrade.

To modify an 4.4 ecu to tune with is a not to hard either there are cheap ECU's out there and if your confident the can be DIY Moded

MBCs have been used to great effect for ages, I gave mine extra turns every so often, didn't have a AFR meter, it was great fun and epic boost, perfect with auto box , in comparison, a V70T5 with no MBC crapped it's auto on me.

The rods are fine, it's an urban myth they bend, you only hear about the ones that bend and you don't know how stupid the owner was in doing so of course. You don't hear about all the successes.....

Gotta say I love my mbc at the moment . Sure puts a smile on my face ☺️

Ex850R
  • A well mapped 16t is still a good way to go and cost effective, spend the money you have wisely, depending how you drive the car and let's be honest here you can't really use a turbo of any size to it's full potential on Australian roads if you want to keep your licence, I've had many 16t setups that are great fun for the quick spool and instant boost, yes they run out of puff at the top end but seriously how often do you go there?, Just my opinion 😁,

In summary a well mapped 16t is far more fun than a shit mapped 18/19t,

shadycourgetteEx850Rrado
  • I like this idea. Is it possible to have my 15g bored out to take a 16t wheel? Otherwise I’ve found a 16t locally for $350.

I’d also probably go with a 6+6 billet wheel and source an angle flange exhaust housing.

The new compressor wheel is good idea and an angled housing, grab a big downpipe too even if you leave rest of exhaust stock it gives more response.

A RIP kit in larger diameter tube and pipe is great for response too , I got a cheap as chips GP RACING (website or eBay) intercooler and it's brilliant for breathing as well especially on very hot day where turbo soak is occurring so less boost.

Next size up injectors and a little flash tune as Jimbo suggests it's a really nice drive then.

An extra cooler for the auto is good idea too.

• The car already has a relatively new 3” custom stainless DP and exhaust. Will just need to have it modified to fit the angle flange. I’ve also got a do88 RIP kit ready to be installed.

Injectors and a VAST tune are on my list, and good shout about the IC 👍

Ex850R
  • Shady if your going to run a VAST Ecm and tune you should reach out and email him directly first he is super helpful and will tell you parts parts you exactly need for your goal.

Coz if ypu but a turbo for lets say $350 + wheel or wheels and machine + an angle flange housing there is an expensive turbo already as it adds up quickly you would be better of getting a mamba or kinugawa turbo just an idea.

I have a vast ecm and tune i think @Drwillis has one and @rado was tempted we are all here in WA. I got lots of help and info from Aaron @vast he will point you in the right direction.

Ex850RJamest5r_radoshadycourgette