Reminder: videos and articles you find on the web all belong in the off-topic section, even if they are about Volvos.

What motor to avoid

Hi folks am considering buying a 2010 to 2015 60 size suv. Any advise re troublesome engines would be appreciated.

Comments

• Ex850RSnoopy @Ex850R Somewhere Over the Rainbow. Melbourne.

T5

• T5 until drive e (2015ish)has the powershit trans... engine is fine the trans ruins the package

T6/3.2 has issues and other stuff

D5 works as long as not a city car

T5 in the drive e (8 speed auto) is excellent and the best pick of all

• 242GT242GT @242GT Illawarra NSW
    edited July 15

I've got a 2014 (Dec 2013 biuld) XC T6 R Design with Polestar.

Did a major service on it when I bought it at 76,868klms.

Most of it was general service and maintenance.

So far , it's been great, the T6 is a bit thirsty but the performance is magic.

R Design suspension and brakes are very good as is biuld quality , built in Belgium.

I've got a great thorough mechanic who knows these cars so well.

Parts arnt a problem.

The 3.2ltr from all reports is also very good , but as with the T6 prompt service is key.

Make sure if it's got over 75,000klms that a full flush of gearbox oil is done , you'll notice the difference straight away.

I'm very happy with the T6 , it's got the polestar tune and plenty of get up and go , yes it's thirsty if pushed hard but on cruise control , smooth as and acceptable.

rado
  • Thanks for the info. I have a v70 t6 polestar and love the performance but my wife want something more mundane. I am trying to convince her a xc90 v8 would suit let's hope.

Regarding R designe, what does that entail? Am new to European vehicles, always had pommy s%55.

R-Dedign gives suspension, seats trim , decor treatment in and out basically.

The V8s came either unloaded or loaded the later you go, nice one on here right now.

As an indicator, a Volvo shop bought an incredible fully loaded low miles late mileage one from customer who was trading it at a dealer for 10K sold it for 19K .

242GT
  • Thanks snoopy. What suspension changes does that entail?

Saw the xc 90 offered, looking at it tomorrow.

Ex850R
  • Ps snoopy notselling my v70 looking to replace my suzuki grand vitara.

Trying to convince she who must be obeyed of the benefits of xc90, one can only try.

I'm thinking if the suspension is changed on the 90 , maybe not but with R-D on other models it's lowered a bit and perhaps stiffer. Certainly handles a bit better when put on my non R-D V60T6.

She would benefit with the 90 being the safest vehicle on the road, a Suzuki SUV not so much......

Comfort is astounding in a 90.

The V8 is glorious and can return good fuel economy if driven gently.

A 3.2 would be good but a bit thirsty.

T6 would be epic but thirsty, I'm thinking the V9 easier to get better economy.

D5 is great if you don't mind smelling like a interstate truck driver when windows are down and the exhaust fumes come in......ha!

For your V70T6 I see IPD tunes give around 480 horsepower (sending ecu to them is annoying though)

A TDI TUNING box is a good, easy upgrade over a P* tune too. I've got one without P* , it's epic.

• Thanks again. Definitely leaning to the v8. Just hope it's not too large for her.

Regards my v70 it's marks old car from berry's. More hp isn't necessary, got enough to destroy a licence in a flash.

Ex850R
  • 242GT242GT @242GT Illawarra NSW

The V8 XC90 are lovely car , came very close to buying one from Melbourne .

I think there is a recall mod to let water drain from the "V" of the motor as originally they were known to cause issues.

Anyone know more about this.

• IIRC, they made the mod to YM 2006+ engines.

If the earlier V8s were pressure washed, etc, water would collect in a pocket and corrode the balance shaft bearing.

There's an article on FCP Euro about this, from where I stole this pic.

242GTEx850R

If you know Mark he would have commented about it " being too large for her" in no uncertain terms!

he is a naughty boy.....

• Haha my wife and I tried to purchase khan's xc90 after a test drive but he then withdrew it from sale. My wife is shattered. Not too large not too small, just right!

Ha!

There are some others, look on carsales.

I saw Mark at his earlier , I forgot to mention you looking for a XC90 , perhaps give him a bell tomorrow and ask if he knows of any?

• Thanks people for your responses. Will keep looking. Does anybody know the v8 advertised by dealer in south East melb?

If you want an appraisal ask Mason Prestige in Seaford, one of the best independent Volvo shops.

• Thanks will do

• Well I got the xc90 v8 from Sydney, bronze colour with white interior.needs some cosmetic attention , having it shipped to berry's for service and roadworthy. Got it at the right price thanks to Mark, should turn out to be very cheap. Haha have you heard that before.

So many thanks to all for your inputs

Best regards Trevor ingle

Ex850RAnthony