Buying tools to work on Volvo 740

Hi,

Can I safely buy just metric sockets and other misc tools for using on the 740?

Why I ask is that on my commodores sometimes it is metric then other time imperial which is a pain.

Thanks

hd

Comments

• Follow up question.

1/2 or 1/4 inch drive sockets sets or both.

Thanks

hd

• jlfentsGov @jlfents Brisbane
    edited September 2021

I believe the body and chassis will all be metric. The motor has both metric and imperial, the npt fittings for a start...

You probably can get away with just 1/2

• SpacSpac @Spac Canberra-ish.

I only had a 3/8” socket set for years, and a selection of big sockets with a 1/2” drive breaker bar, and it worked fine.

Now I have 1/4” and 1/2” socket sets, and the 3/8 stuff is rarely used.

Everything that I can remember is metric on a 7/9. Seem to recall a smattering of torx around the place to keep you on your toes.

bgpzfm142
  • ^ Yeah, the Torx stuff shows up all over the place.

This Kincrome set from Bunnings covers most of what you'll need.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/kincrome-9-piece-torx-key-set_p6120346

90% of the stuff on a Seven is 8, 10, 13, 14, a lot of 15, a bit of 17, and some 19mm.

Then there's random big and small stuff, e.g. 7mm on the HVAC for doing the heater core.

• Working on cars 1/4 and 3/8 sets most commonly used 1/2 is also handy but not necessary

If ypu can find a good 1/4 drive set like this as its up to 14mm and 1/2inch deep and shallow. From memorynwas about $120 fro Covs now NAPA auto parts

I know it's blue point But a good 3/8 set is worth its weight in gold for home tasks..I don't buy expensive sockets buy cheep sockets and good ratchets it make all the difference. A good spanner set is a must too

These kinchome are good for the $$$

I don't think u want to know the price of my snap-on spanner set at work lol (neither do i) its far to expensive

My 1/4 drive ratchet costs more than the whole socket set but I use it for my job on a daily basis so it's worth it to me. But these gear wrench ratchet kit is equally as good and value for money there my home set. 1/4, 3/8 stubby, 3/8 normal and 1/2 all fine tooth gears i think $160 -180 for all of them which is cheap for good ratchet set. Ps ALL TOOLS are tax deductible. A Stanley screwdriver set its also a cheap and good set

• edited September 2021

Depending what tools you have already and what you want to spend. If you want one neat complete kit this should cover more or less everything on a 740 plus also having imperial sockets for use on other things. There are various other versions of bacho kits.

In terms of 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 inch, I have sets of them all but I could live without 3/8. It cant do anything much a 1/4 and 1/2 set couldnt.

The only reason I tend to use 3/8 a lot because it does a reasonable job of most things and is lighter than my 1/2" set to carry around. Doesnt entirely replace the need for 1/4" and 1/2" though. 1/2" mainly for the size they go up to e.g 24mm for the bolt on the front crank pulley

egads
  • PaddlerEdPaddler Ed @PaddlerEd New England Region, NSW

I still have that Crescent set from Blacktown.... only broke one socket in it (12mm undoing the head bolts on the 4Runner). Because it lives in the back of the cars, it's the easiest to get hold of when in the carport - the big tool kit is over in the shed at the other end of the house. The tools in the big tool kit are nicer to use (Gearwrench) and so I do go to those for some jobs - particularly the 1/4 and 3/8 breaker bars.

I tend to go to the 3/8 set at first, but will go to the 1/2 deep impact sockets as well quite often, especially using the rattle gun to undo things on the Land Cruisers/Scat.

The other thing I find useful are ratcheting spanners (plus a flare nut spanner) so those are a seperate set in addition to other 2 above.

• jamesincJames @jamesinc Oz Volvo Ice Fortress

If you want a good all-in-one portable kit I'm a big fan of the 106-piece Bahco set https://www.totaltools.com.au/69265-bahco-106-pce-1-4-and-1-2-drive-socket-and-spanner-set-metric-and-sae-s106

Like @Spac I started out with a 1/4 and 3/8 Kincrome set and it was many years before I bought a 1/2" set

• Just saw this at my local tool store

Looks good for what you get. 1/4 3/8 1/2 it has the fine tooth ratchets which make life a lot easier

• 3/8 and 1/2 metric kit is all youll need. The only time ive ever used a 1/4 kit on my 940 is when i couldnt find my 3/8 8mm socket.

Dont forget torx bits as well, although I recall that 740s seem to be more phillips head than torx.

These are great. Pretty much everything you need.

• Haha when I first started wrenching on stuff with you I thought it was really weird that you didnt have 1/2".

Personally I started off with a cresent kit that has 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2. A waste really to have that range of drive sizes given the sockets only go up to I think 19mm. Still got that kit in my car and does most things mind you.

After that and all around the same time I brought full sets of stanley sockets in each of the drive sizes. Havent broken a socket yet, but all the ratchets are all a bit dodgy and like to switch ratcheting direction as your trying to tighten/loosen.

• edited September 2021

I find I use 1/2" sockets the most when working on cars, followed by ratchet spanners and standard spanners for cracking loose bolts that I don't trust the ratchet spanners to handle. 3/8" I mainly only use if there are space constraints, or <10mm socket size, and 1/4" is pretty much just for interior bolts and light duty stuff like that.

• Things to understand that how you can use plaster sanders to plaster your home walls.

https://www.intex.com.au/blog/post/brief-history-of-automatic-drywall-tools