S/V60 HELP, injector fail on no 1 cylinder.white smoke

gordonGordy @gordon Far north coast NSW

I had an injector fail in cylinder 1 of my V60 3.0L. No noise before fail, just a massive plume of white smoke and rough idling.

My Mechanic is trying to see what else failed but after having a camera inside and no visible damage to piston or rings we are wondering if anyone may have had an experience same as this.

Apparently difficult to see if lifter has broke without pulling timing gear off to get at tapped cover??

My Mechanic is a Mercedes service guy who is looking after my volvo as a favour to me but doesn't work on them day to day.

If we have to rebuild, is there somewhere we can get piston,rings and the rest apart from genuine VOLVO?

Extremely expensive and I don't have money to do a rebuild.

Could really use some info and advise please???

Thank you all heaps.

Comments

• Does it have compression on that cylinder?

Ecu can cut individual injector pulse if there's excessive unburnt fuel in exhaust eg: in the case of an ignition coil failure.

If it does need a motor it would be cheaper/easier to throw a 2nd hand engine in than rebuilding it.

• gordonGordy @gordon Far north coast NSW

Hi,

Thank you.

Not sure about compression, mechanic didn't say.

Is there a place to go if I need to source another motor, that I can trust more than some of them?

Also, if I do need some engine internal components like piston and such, is there anywhere I can go other than genuine?

• If you're worried about budget, don't even consider a rebuild. There's a bunch of specific tools to set the cams/timing chain up to remove/install cylinder head and it's fairly labour intensive.

Parts are only really available genuine.

Berry motor group would be the most reliable place to source an engine from.

• Ex850RSnoopy @Ex850R Somewhere Over the Rainbow. Melbourne.

Sure it wasn't the coil pop? It's common.

• I would assume that if mechanic is talking about checking piston for damage that it has low compression.

Hi y'all

So update on my engine.

Cylinder pressure is good and no damage to ring or piston.

They seem to think the lifter is a little gummed up and not shutting fully so are flushing engine cleaner through to see if it closes properly.

They seem to think this is it after much consultation with many rebuilders and Volvo service workshop at gold coast.

Hoping that's it.

I'm gonna put the car up for sale once running well again.

If anyone reading this or friends of friends and the like may be keen for a very clean low kms V60 T6 R-design wagon in silver please contact me on this site or my mobile.

The car and I are in Ballina NSW, far north coast, 100k on odometer and will be good price for quick sale.

I'd say around the 13k mark

Thanks everyone.

I'll post when it's fixed and running again.

Gordy

How do the lifters gum up have they explained this?

timbo

No, not really. But I'm not that good on mechanics anyway so if they did explain it well I don't know that I'd understand.

No, not really. But I'm not that good on mechanics anyway so if they did explain it well I don't know that I'd understand.

WHat year is it?

I have been looking at prices for a while and everything is inflated but you wont sell it here , put it on carsales for sure.

Really . for here , we know its had engine trouble and unless its a 2014/15 model year at that money then no way. ( i may buy it at that if it is! Ha! )

I don't think I'd get any more than 10k as a trade so if someone who loved volvos was interested I'd probably sell it to them for what I'd get traded.

No real loss for me.

Anyway, Thanks for comment.