Skandix group-buy is back after the success of the first one. See this thread for more info

ID location Volvo screw M7 Torx head countersunk

Guys from the 850 onwards Volvo used a few M7 torx head screws/bolts.

Must be an odd Euro thing as Peugeot also uses plenty of M7 eg. on cylinder head inlet manifold, so a fellow was telling me.

Q. the question is where on the Volvo is the countersunk head M7 Torx head fitted. They have one but where.

Any clues appreciated.

Comments

• Is this some sort of quiz and is there a prize?

The only place I can think of that has a countersunk torx bolt on any of the whiteblocks, is securing the cam position tone wheels onto the camshafts on the RNC whiteblocks.

I don't think any of the earlier 5cyls have any countersunk bolts, there are some m7 torx bolts in other locations but no countersunk bolts.

• Thanks timbo for your answer, well done. This will help a fellow do a manifold conversion on his Peugeot where he needs to bolt up an adaptor plate, hence c/s bolts.

He also owns a road registered clubman with a supercharged rotary engine with obviously a fab power to weight ratio. The reason why a supercharger? Is that the s/charger gradually builds boost from low rpm and maxes out at 11psi at higher rpm, meaning the power delivery is gradual and doesn’t overwhelm the chassis & more importantly the rear tyre traction.

Volvo content is he has seen a Volvo site in Sweden selling the kooky M7 bolts but no one till now (prize to timbo) knew the said location to look for them locally.

• Ex850RSnoopy @Ex850R Somewhere Over the Rainbow. Melbourne.

Any bolt place can get.

Marine fasteners (boat surcharge warning)

Blackwood's.

RS Components for sure.

• edited April 8

This is the Volvo part number it's m7 x36mm. 987959

Lots of people strip the bolt as it looks like a regular torx bit but im pretty sure its an ipr torx bit which has squarer points if that makes sense.

Also there's only 2 on each engine, so probably not worth trying to source from wreckers

Anthony
  • Brilliant timbo, right to the source. I’ll drop off a beer next time I’m in Woden.

A.

• jamesincJames @jamesinc Oz Volvo Ice Fortress

The M7 is my second most useless thread tap, after the M15.

timboAshDVS