Skandix group-buy is back after the success of the first one. See this thread for more info

1995 Brocksport 850 SE - Info wanted

Hi All,

Just trying to do some research on the Brocksport 850SE. Looking for any information on where they were sold, how many, any mods that were done. Is there anyway to identify a genuine one or a look alike?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Ex850RSnoopy @Ex850R Somewhere Over the Rainbow. Melbourne.

It wasnt a real thing.

Iirc it was just someone getting decals made for the car.

Nothing special.

Anthony
  • Thanks, in that case it was probably done by a dealership for a promo of some sort as there are a few (very few) around. I have been wondering if that was the case as there appears to be no other mods or changes that I can see unlike his other cars which seem to have something to set them apart.

Wonder who it was, someone must remember.

• Now the decision: Do I put them back when respraying or not? I am tending towards putting them back as it is actually part of the cars history.

Opinions?

• edited April 6

Get a little metal plate made up.

'#1 of None'

Mount it near the shifter.

Keep the stickers..

Jeff_Allen_77
  • Ex850RSnoopy @Ex850R Somewhere Over the Rainbow. Melbourne.

There was a red 850 that surfaced many years ago.

• Love it. Shouldn't that be "#1 of some".

• What year model is it? Manual?

Will you be respraying yourself?

• Why not keep the sticker, it’s certainly unique, and a talking point.

In general, Gothenburg wouldn’t approve a local name version. Not like the (former) Aussie local car industry that invented marketing names a few times a year to try and shift stock.

They do World wide models such as Volvo’s sponsorship of the ocean racing yachts via the XC70 version.

Volvo being a pricey vehicle already, already had alloy wheels, good tyres, decent paint and colours, quality trim, advanced disc brakes, etc. So for the most part focused on Safety design features.

• 1995, Auto. It looks pretty standard and not bad nick. It supposedly has a blown head gasket as it has water in the oil. I haven't done a compression test yet to confirm that it's not the radiator. The radio wiring has been hacked to fit an after market head unit so I am currently chasing a couple of plugs to fix that. I have a genuine unit from a slightly later model which has the CD player so I will fit the plugs to suit that.

When the time comes, I'll do most of the prep work and then pass it over to a professional. I'll tackle smaller jobs but don't trust myself to get a decent finish on something this big and don't really have somewhere to do it. Just need to get templates of the decals before I start.

Ex850R
  • Brock didn't come to Volvo till 1996...

• DauntlessDauntless @Dauntless Central West NSW

Interestingly I found a photo of the same car from 10 years ago:

• Nope, he drove an 850 with Tony Scott in the Bathurst 12 Hour in 1994.

• edited April 6

I've got the same picture although it's not of my car. I was looking for differences between that and mine but both look much the same.

• DauntlessDauntless @Dauntless Central West NSW

It's not the same car? The dent under the tail light and the scratch on the bumper match exactly.

TL_V70
  • I got both pictures from the internet and they do appear to match, I hadn't looked that close before. My windows aren't that dark and I haven't photographed mine yet. It would be pretty curious if they were all the same car though.