Skandix group-buy is back after the success of the first one. See this thread for more info

240 Front strut removal

Ok, I’ve removed front struts assembly, how do I remove the top nut? Is there a special too or do I bend a 24mm ring spanner to fit?? Thanks👍

Comments

• Rattle gun works for me most of the time. There are also special tool kits you can get to counter hold the shocks shaft whilst turning the nut with the kits hollow ratchet. Don't forget to compress the spring with spring compressors (1 each side, 2 total) before releasing the nut unless you want a giant spring under pressure shooting off the top hat into oblivion.

oldmanjamesinc
  • Thanks- yep have springs compressed, I’ll try and find something to use.. 👍👍

• Compress the spring a bit, rattle gun with long 24mm, compress the spring to take the load off, then deep bend 24mm and shifter for the remainder. I ended up buying a specific spanner for the job.

OhNoesAVolvooldmanAnthony
  • Thanks mate- think I’ll do the same👍

• jamesincJames @jamesinc Oz Volvo Ice Fortress

I don't think I've ever done this any way other than: 1) attach spring compressors 2) apply rattle gun with deep 24mm socket

I don't know why you'd ever need a spanner if you have a rattle gun, it doesn't matter that the piston can rotate with the nut, the rattle gun should be hitting the nut hard enough to remove it anyway.

• When some derpety derp rattle guns the nut on cross threaded...That's a bastard to get off!

• I bought my spanner prior to getting access to a rattle gun.

• A rally bloke who bought the 740 diff from me up in The Falls brought his rechargeable rattle gun along to the party to remove wheel nuts and other surplus bits from it. That sold me on the idea of getting one; it saved the tedious process of hooking up the air compressor just to run the rattle gun for a brief period. It's one of the best tool investments I've made - hours dealing with sticky fasteners have been saved.

The time saved when dealing with things like strut nuts makes one indispensable.