S/V40 '98 S40 T4 - How bad of an idea is this?

edited November 20 in General

There's this listing for a 1998 S40 T4 I've had my eye on for a while (https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/winchelsea/cars-vans-utes/1998-volvo-s40-t4/1253105184) that started out as a quarantine fever dream, but I've been itching to drive something with a real gearbox for a while (and that powerplant looks like a bag of fun - that's most of the reason why I'm interested TBH).

How much of an ordeal would it be to keep this alive? The owner looks like they know what they're doing (listing says turbo and engine sensors were done recently), but given the age I'm expecting there'll be some work to do from time to time (not to mention regular oil changes to keep the turbo happy). If the throttle lag is just a sensor issue then that should hopefully be easy enough to replace.

If it's likely to fall over every few months and require major work then that'd be a bit of a dealbreaker - I'm not keen on keeping two cars so this'd have be my daily driver too.

I'm happy to do my own work (and lucky enough to have friends that can help as well), but I'm also very new to maintenance. I'm also not sure how easy it is to get parts in NSW (or in .au in general) as well.

Thoughts? Should this stay a fever dream, or is this worth digging into when I'm next in the area in a few weeks?

Comments

• Ex850RSnoopy @Ex850R Somewhere Over the Rainbow. Melbourne.

I can guarantee it will be great fun , ive not driven a turbo one but the manual one i did drive i thought would be better with turbo such a good package!

This does sound well sorted and would be a fantastic car for the roads south of Winchelsea and further south to The Great Ocean Rd.

I would buy it,plenty of parts available and they last and can still keep going if not maintained so thats a good sign!

• These are great cars for the money, my brother had a T4 manual and it was a really fun car to drive

The engines themselves are very reliable being white blocks, money you spend will probably be on missed maintenance etc

This might be useful:

https://ozvolvo.org/discussion/13398/know-stuff-about-first-generation-s40s-and-v40s#latest

SpacCB60
  • SpacSpac @Spac Canberra-ish.

Depending on what the seller means by “lag”, it is most likely a dying coil pack. Possibly an AMM.

Price is at the top of the range. Haggle hard.

• Ex850RSnoopy @Ex850R Somewhere Over the Rainbow. Melbourne.

Details on sports partd mentioned too , how old are the parts as well.

• If you are in NSW then you will need to add the cost of blue slip, NSW registration and getting it home. Budget for close to $1000 to register it on NSW assuming blue slip inspection finds no significant problems.

CB60
  • Thanks for the replies everyone - good to hear there shouldn't be any major showstopping issues!

Gonna message the seller and see how things go from there. I have NFI what the sports suspension/exhaust setup is either but as long as the exhaust doesn't sound too obnoxious I'm not fussed.

Does anyone know what the parts/service situation in Sydney is like?

Yep, I'm expecting it to be around that much to get it back home and registered. Not the end of the world as my current car only has a few months left on it.

I'd also be leaning towards getting an RACV inspection as a sanity check before committing to buying as well to cover anything obvious I may have missed.

The Carsales listing says it might be a throttle body sensor issue. Replacing an AMM/MAF is something I can definitely do myself 😅. Seller also says coil packs have been replaced recently but I'll see if they have any more information about this issue.

The price is definitely right up there (last S40 T4 manual I saw went for around $2800 IIRC, right before lockdown). I'm hoping there's some room to move.

This thread is a goldmine, thanks for the heads-up!

• johnajohna @johna Sydney
    edited November 22

There's a white T (not T4) manual for $2800 with only 150k on Facebook Marketplace in Sydney. Also a T4 manual with 190k for $2000 but doesn't look very presentable and had a few modifications.

For parts in Sydney, for new parts I would be looking more at eBay or getting from overseas if not in a rush. For used parts Pick n Payless at Blacktown sometimes have a S/V40, and there's often someone parting out a car.