Oz Volvo vinyl stickers are back in stock! Find them using the link to the right (or bottom) of this page.

240 Replacement brake master cylinder 1992 240

The brake master cylinder on my recently acquired 1992 240 wagon is leaking down the front of the booster so presumably the seals have gone. Has anyone got any recommendations for replacement units? Is it worth trying to track down an OEM ATE unit, or would a cheaper and more available Bosch suffice? I'm not sure I can be faffed with replacing the seals.

Tagged:

Comments

• That master cylinder can be rebuilt. Rip it off and take it to a brake mob

• That's an option but when I've looked into this before it's always worked out significantly more expensive than buying a new cylinder - especially if resleeving is involved.

• I discovered buying a new unit from the US gets you the back port on the wrong side being for lhd cars...so don't do that!

Llessur
  • jamesincJames @jamesinc Oz Volvo Ice Fortress

I've bought RHD ones from the US, you just have to check the photos/descriptions carefully. I've bought a couple from Rockauto in the past.

• That's good to know, it was ipd I'm pretty sure when I got caught out. Quickly learned to actually look at the pictures after that...same thing with a receiver/dryer for a 93 240, all back to front.

• carnut222Greg S @carnut222 Daylesford VIC

As James said, you can get the one with the correct ports from the USA as they were used on some years/models over there. You have a later car with the fluid level sender in the reservoir, so unless you can find a new M/Cyl with that matching reservoir type, you'll be looking at carefully removing and using your original reservoir.

Llessur