740 & 760 240 Clutch Booster in a 740

SLT16SLT @SLT16 Gold Coast

Hi all,

Just wondering about some interchangeability of parts in 240s and 740s.

I'm doing a manual conversion for my 87 740 with a B230F. My main questions are:

1. Can i use a clutch booster from a 240?
  2. Is the LH2.2 Flywheel from the 240 (1987 model and b230f) the same as on the 740?
  3. Can i use 240 pedal assembly?
  4. What sort of modifications and how complex, will be needed for the shifter cage if the m47 is coming from a 240?

Also, to my understanding the tailshaft is also different, so ill need to get one from a 740?

Comments

• 1. I think U mean master and yeah can be done but not ideal. Used one recently on a m90 swap into 740

2. 90% sure Yes if both engines are non turbo

3. Probably not, haven't seen a 240 manual box recently enough to recall how different they are.

4. Modifying the shifter cage is a pain in the ass, have done it the opposite way

( shortening 740 m47 to suit 240)

• SLT16SLT @SLT16 Gold Coast
    edited May 22

Thanks for that. I spoke to someone who did an m47 swap from a 240 into a 940 and they also had to modify the shifter cage. Is it really that bad? Didn't sound too involved from the guy that did it. Also with the master, what problems would i run into if i used one from a 240

• carnut222Greg S @carnut222 Daylesford VIC

Are you wanting to use a 240 master cylinder because you have one available? Pretty sure the 740 one the bolt holes are offset a bit, so if you use a 240 one the reservoir will angle over a bit (ie the cap won’t be at the very top - it’s minor but just a comment). I recently fitted a 740 master to my 240. If you want a new clutch master for a 740, RockAuto has them pretty cheap...the 740 ones use the brake master cylinder reservoir and a hose from that to the clutch master.

Yeah, the reason i am wanting to use a 240 master is because i have it available right now. In terms of actual workings, will using a 240 master cylinder somehow limit the car? Also, how much is a master cylinder from RockAuto for a 740?

I’m pretty sure the travel and master cylinder rod are the same length so the 240 master should function OK. 740 clutch master from RockAuto:

$174.51 AUD including GST & FedEx to AUS.

Yeah, even with the shite exchange rate and shipping it’s probably $100 less than AUS price! :) But I usually don’t check AUS price as I always assume I’m getting gouged so I just head straight overseas to buy. :(

More on the local vs. overseas prices, TBH some things ARE cheaper here, for example SuperPro bushes - buy from Sparesbox.com.au when they have 20% off (right now!)...of course they should be cheaper since they’re made here LOL

Actually it’s worth checking FCP Euro too - their clutch master may be slightly cheaper than RockAuto at the moment as they don’t charge GST...prices below in USD.

Nah, looks like RockAuto is cheaper even with GST...I calculate about $197AUD shipped from FCP Euro.

• No one local keeps the 740/940 master cyl in stock as they weren't really sold here, thus why I ended up using a 240 one

• This Is what your working with for the shifter, depends on your skillset as to how easy it would be for you to adjust the length, I just know it was annoying when I had to do it, after someone read on the internet that it was an easy swap to use a 740 m47 in a 240. I also had to modify the crossmember quite a bit

• https://www.volvopartswebstore.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_assembly=239516&ukey_make=865&ukey_model=20180&modelYear=1992&ukey_category=7095&ukey_driveLine=394&ukey_trimLevel=24661

Pedal is in there. Can't find the exact paperwork from when I did mine but I ordered it from these guys. Basically used these diagrams to rebuild the entire trans as well :)

1. can be done but if you're a dodgy hack (new bolt holes need to be drilled, +messing with the rod), otherwise just use a 7/9 series one. As seen in the diagram it takes the fluid from the brake reservoir. I had a skandix (non genuine) master cylinder and slave cylinder in mine before going to a 16valve and it worked perfectly.
    2. Cant help you with that as mine is lh2.4
    3. Definitely not. Owner of the parts car I bought literally used the shittest bunnings metal (like the one thats for your roof timbers) and dodgied the absolute bejeesus out of it to make it work. As I said in your previous post, just buy a new assembly. Volvo web parts store is a god send for that stuff.
    4. You can just cut and extend the mounts with no issues, as well as the rod (rod can be purchased new, i have a brand newy lying around if interested). Theres no real "dodginess" with this per say as long as your welds aren't complete boogers. I actually prefer the custom set up to the factory as you can fine tune the shifter length and position to your liking.

Terrible photo but heres what mine looked like, you can get the general idea. I have gone over and cleaned it up anything I didnt like though.

https://i.imgur.com/8P6LCEAh.jpg

If you have any other questions feel free to send a pm.

I just got an M47 shifter cage for the 740, so i won't have to do any modifications to extend it.

Also, are 940 manual pedals that you sent exact same in the 740?

And BTW your picture comes up with an error for some reason.

• Yes 740 and 940 use the same pedal box

Will i need a clutch master cylinder with a reservoir or just a barbed flange coming out of it?

• edited May 24

yes its the same pedal box.

In regards to that link, theres photos on this page here about halfway down. https://ozvolvo.org/discussion/7449/dans-1992-940/p4

The 8v master cylinder looks like this https://images.apwcontent.com/is/image/Autos/ce136.39002_is?wid=250&hei=250&DefaultImage=noimage

The little fitting coming out of it attaches to the side of the brake master cylinder where the little nipple is. Just cut the plastic off the end and connect it. Make sure you get hose that is compatible with brake fluid.