BooSTeRS show'n'shine & Oz Volvo Mini-Nats in Canberra is just a few days away and nearly sold out! 🤩 Last chance to come and show off some Swedish metal! See here for more info

C30 2009 C30 T5 intermittent loss of power/ stuttering - ECM 280C code

Daughter's C30 with T5 engine coughed and spluttered yesterday on starting from a major intersection and then lost power completely. She managed to drive it home after a restart. I hooked up vida & dice and found ECM 280c code:

Code showing ECM 280C - Fuel Pressure Sensor signal too high

Usual fix for this on a T5 is to replace the fuel pressure sensor, so I did. Cleared the codes , took it for a brisk test drive and retested the codes and all clear.

Then an hour ago I get a call to say its happened again!

I will recheck codes when she drives it back to me.

But what else could this be throwing the ECM 280C code?

PEM?

Fuel Filter?

Bad Fuel? - might be a coincidence but the night before she acciodentally left the car unlocked and someone broke into the car and took her service booklet , gps and clarinet and left a calling card in the form of a drinking glass on her dashboard. No vandalism but maybe they tipped something down the petrol tank as well. She did fill up at a daggy old petrol station in Parramatta that she'd never used before so that could be it as well. Always pays to use the same servo so at least you know where the fuel came from. Maybe I should drain the tank?

Comments

• edited June 2

So you changed the FPS. Are you sure this fault is the same issue. It's probably something else like a bad coil pack.

• ICEDVOVOBOXY @ICEDVOVO Dural NSW
    edited June 2

Hard to pin her down to get a look at the car again. Like many young women ( and men) , well 31 aint that young, too busy doing stuff and drives the car till it stops or runs out of petrol; never checks the oil, etc etc, went through red light yesterday just because she didn't want to wait and it "was a clear road anyway"- cop in the car behind her couldn't believe it either.

Anyway got my 5 minutes in the car on sunday and codes all clear but she had a few little stutters in first 2 days after I changed out sensor - that could be air in line after I drained the rail.

But if it happens again yes a bad coil or plug was a possibility, the pem , even the maf sensor, throttle body clean , fuel filter all on the agenda, not necessarily in that order. Highly unlikely an iridium plug though - car only done 80k and my v70t has original plugs in there at 190K and engine is sweet & never had anything changed other than oil every 5k, the usual cam seals, water pump, timing belt 3 times but tranny stuffs up regularly - the engine so good it almost warrants gambling on new rostra solenoids to see if that helps

• Depends what you mean by stutter? Actually misfire, or just loss of power? My TCV went a bit kooky before it went and that caused my power levels to be all over the place. Replaced it around 55K/km if I recall. No codes for that either.

• ICEDVOVOBOXY @ICEDVOVO Dural NSW
    edited June 2

yeah. thanks. tcv was on the list too. if only I find my list - 2 days of research wasted. I did notice the car behaving differently after the pcv diaphragm whistle box got replaced - got my mechanic to do that for me. Really hard to diagnose because she gets impatient and just wants the car back again before I can spend time sussing it out. It could even be a vacuum hose leak.

hard to describe the sensation - its a slight chuffing sound that makes me think it could be a bad coil or plug or injector. no huge loss of power but it doesn't seem as smooth as it did 25k ago. need time with the car to poke around.