Oz Volvo Nationals 8-10 November - register today! ozvolvo.org/nationals

Jimbo's 855 T-5R Project

Comments

• jamesincJames (@jamesinc) Oz Volvo Ice Fortress
    @Jamest5r_ is your bottom end stock?
  • @Jamest5r_ is your bottom end stock?

No forged rods and 81.4mm pistons
    jamesinc
  • Ex850RSnoopy (@Ex850R) Somewhere Over the Rainbow. Melbourne.

What CCs then?
  • If it was I would of just swapped enginge

What CCs then?

2.3,plus a tiny bit more 😁
    Ex850RRob
  • Very impressive build Jimbo. The car looks great
    Jamest5r_
  • Pistons are out and no obvious damage to rings or bores, which I suppose is a good thing but in a way I was hoping to see something broken to as why I had high crankcase pressure, head dropped off to be checked and new valve guides done, I'll await the results

hvirujaonqni.jpg
    jamesincCanoe
  • Pistons are out and no obvious damage to rings or bores, which I suppose is a good thing but in a way I was hoping to see something broken to as why I had high crankcase pressure, head dropped off to be checked and new valve guides done, I'll await the results

hvirujaonqni.jpg

what ring gap are you running James? It looks like you are getting some blow-by past the top compression rings

hvirujaonqni.jpg

what ring gap are you running James? It looks like you are getting some blow-by past the top compression rings

That's the least of my worries mate....

hiqkik5blner.jpg

t932hsjjfufs.jpg

Bores 1&5 are cracked so that's a scrap block.

Time to build this one up with the h beam rods.

5qqt0p1uaism.jpg
  • Ex850RSnoopy (@Ex850R) Somewhere Over the Rainbow. Melbourne.
    Are you sleeving the liners next build?
  • I find it amazing how vulnerable these blocks are considering they were designed for high cylinder pressures
  • Are you sleeving the liners next build?

Nope
  • I find it amazing how vulnerable these blocks are considering they were designed for high cylinder pressures

I had a fuel pump issue back in the UK, it ran lean a couple of times, I thought I'd got away with it but obviously not, they are strong blocks but very susceptible to heat

The weakest point is the standard chocolate rods, they will bend with ease with too much torque under 3k rpm, my engine survived 7yrs of 28psi on a mbc and 30ks, most on the 1/4 mile and some hill climbs, it had a hard but fun life
    AshDVS
  • edited June 8
    I find it amazing how vulnerable these blocks are considering they were designed for high cylinder pressures

The weakest point is the standard chocolate rods, they will bend with ease with too much torque under 3k rpm, my engine survived 7yrs of 28psi on a mbc and 30ks, most on the 1/4 mile and some hill climbs, it had a hard but fun life

Yes you did well. I've owned 3 volvos and all had cylinder head/ gasket issues with the exception of my current (forth). Those were all unmodified and well maintained. If you browse through Gumtree etc you will find one Volvo after another with "suspected blown head gasket". I agree regarding the rods, and high cylinder pressures at low rpm will bend rods and bust gaskets, so in their wisdom they used weak rods, very thin sleeves and a turbo designed for peak boost at 2,000rpm. Your motor did well, but they can be frustrating

P.S, perhaps that is why I was seeing blowby on your top rings...the cracks in the bores

Yes you did well. I've owned 3 volvos and all had cylinder head/ gasket issues with the exception of my current (forth). Those were all unmodified and well maintained. If you browse through Gumtree etc you will find one Volvo after another with "suspected blown head gasket". I agree regarding the rods, and high cylinder pressures at low rpm will bend rods and bust gaskets, so in their wisdom they used weak rods, very thin sleeves and a turbo designed for peak boost at 2,000rpm. Your motor did well, but they can be frustrating

P.S, perhaps that is why I was seeing blowby on your top rings...the cracks in the bores

Maybe re the rings, I haven't pulled them off yet to see it the cylinder is cracked underneath, funny that alot of the blocks here suffer head gasket failure it's not as nearly as common in the UK don't know why maybe the ambient temps has something to do with it and pushed them over the edge?
    jamesinc360cftimbo
  • Interesting tear-down!
    I have no personal experience in doing this but I've read of people having good, cheap success using some shim stock between the bores on these blocks. Perhaps less of a thing with the 2.3 than it is with the 2.5.
    Jamest5r_
  • Interesting tear-down!
    I have no personal experience in doing this but I've read of people having good, cheap success using some shim stock between the bores on these blocks. Perhaps less of a thing with the 2.3 than it is with the 2.5.

Not necessary on the 2.3 blocks, I just unlucky with it running lean.
  • Its probably worth throwing some shims in as its cheap and you have the head off anyway.
    Im surprised it wasn't spewing coolant out of the coolant tank under boost with 2 cracked liners was your coolant level dropping at all?
    Jamest5r_
  • Surprisingly it wasn't