240 AW70 Does torque converter NEED to be filled before reinstalling

Morning all!

Today I am putting the transmission back on the block and putting it back into the car today. Do I have to fill the torque converter before I put the transmission back on, or will I get away with filling it after its all back in the car?

Cheers,

Sam

Comments

• The converter will fill itself when the engine is started that's what the oil pump does

wzrdovryndr
  • jamesincJames @jamesinc Oz Volvo Ice Fortress

One of those things, if you can fill it beforehand it's better for first start as the system primes faster, but it's not essential, just make sure you're keeping an eye on the transmission fluid level as the converter's dry capacity is much larger than the total capacity of the transmission sump so you will need to keep it from draining the sump and letting air into the system.

wzrdovryndr
  • I believe it's about 8 or 9 Liters, according to Castrol Netlube.

jamesinc
  • jamesincJames @jamesinc Oz Volvo Ice Fortress

If you want to attempt to pour fluid in as the engine runs, without letting it go dry and without overflowing, the rate at which it gets sucked up out of the pan is about the same as the rate at which a beer tap pours :)

wzrdovryndr
  • As long as its in park, starting out with it overfilled won't hurt anything

Also you can pour at least 2-3L into the tq before install with near zero chance of anything spilling anywhere which helps quite a bit

Pretty much, start it, run it for 20 seconds, stop it, check level and add, then repeat until level stops going down, then check it while its running and in P and add the final amount as needed

wzrdovryndrALVO360