850 Tom's 850R

Going to start a bit of a build thread for my R so I have some documentation of anything I change for a future buyer.

Had her for a few months and have been wanting to do a bit of a refresh for a while now and have finally pulled the trigger on getting things rolling.

Having just ticked over 240K's I feel I'm at a good point to start.

The good:

Everything works; ODO, abs, dash rattles ;), PCV, everything is functional.

The car runs and drives properly and makes full boost and vacuum (aftermarket boost gauge)

Gearbox is healthy

Interior is in pretty good nick

Service records for the last 15 years, showing the car has been regularly serviced, and got a bit of an overhaul back in 2015, including thermostat, some vacuum lines and hoses, engine seals, coolant tank, tie rods etc

The bad:

Some metal shavings were found in the oil on the last change

Suspension is very tired, and I think the Front right wheel bearing is shot, pulling the wheel off this weekend to check.

Clear coat is peeling slightly on the roof - I'm not too worried about this for now

Front bumper has the usual cracks and paint chips, and the rear bumper received a light impact at some point in its life, looks like someone missed a trailor hitch, again not too worried about this.

Timing belt is coming up on 50K's.

Subframe bushings are a bit hows-your-father

Immediate plans:

Fresh Nitto rubber is going on next week

BC coils are on the way

@AshDVS is organising me a 320mm front brake kit to go with some XR5 calipers I've just got a hold of.

Nulon oil test kit has been ordered to see exactly what's going on in the engine. I'm hoping it's a crank shaft bearing, as that gives me a good excuse to throw some H beam rods in for a turbo upgrade down the track.

Going to order a timing belt kit alongside the bearing/tie rods next week from FCP, as well as a cam locker, subframe bushings, ram intake from IPD, I might get on of the MSD ignition kits as well, we'll see.

radotimboJamest5r_nugget_940

Comments

• Sounds like a great start , subscribed 👍

Tom
  • Ex850RSnoopy @Ex850R Somewhere Over the Rainbow. Melbourne.

Kool, get was onto the paint to keep it in current state.

Typically, all suspension bushes are shot at this age.

I'll be selling a set of H beam rods when I find them, brand new.

• This might be the tipping point for me to get a whole set of stuff from FCP then. They have a kit builder with control arms, stabiliser bars and tie rods and all the trimmings, seems like a good way to go

242GT

It may not have Delta Link bushes? Of you wanted better rear end (and who doesn't!) Grab an AWD alloy IRS setup without the drive gear and the body strengthening from a v70 AWD, see what @Rob did to the c70.....

Delta Link is pretty funky in a real fast big sweeper, makes you think twice about going so fast....weird setup...

• edited May 7

I didn't even think this was easily possible without cutting things appart.

Potentially a bit late to go down this route as I've ordered the rear end bits from BC already

To reply to your earlier comment:

I've just given the car a light polish and a good wax to help keep things looking fresh.

Do let me know about the rods

Ex850R

Will do but remind me in PM now and again.....

Robs C70 AWD came from the first of the P80 Cross Country 850s , there is a bit of extra sheet metal where they mount the thing up. Then bolt it in.

I wish I had kept my V70R rear end, I used to lay under it and marvel at such a great IRS setup and certainly hated the Delta Link as I said above....

• I'll send you a PM once I know what's going on with the engine.

I'll keep an eye out in case something does pop up for sale

• Coils arrived today.

After lifting the car up and getting the front wheels off over the weekend my best guess at my front wheel troubles is an inner tie rod, so I've gone ahead and ordered a full set of tie rods, control arms, and sway bar end links.

Hopefully everything arrives this week so I can put it all together over the weekend. I'll be replacing the oil at the same time as the Nulon kit has arrived as well.