850 Replacement speakers for 850R

Does anyone know if there are currently available after market replacement speakers for the 4 x 4 ohm door speakers (fronts are sub woofers I'm led to believe) and 8 ohm top of dash tweeters.

Comments

• Probably not, the original ones can be rebuilt

• 242GT242GT @242GT Wollongong NSW

Who by please

• Ex850RSnoopy @Ex850R Somewhere Over the Rainbow. Melbourne.

Use splits the originals are put in series or parallel to show 8ohm the rears in series or parallel too I forget, look up wiring diagram.

So you can run splits fine.

Focal are good.

The doors are mid bass. Rear doors same,

In a sedan, put 6x7? in back shelf, JBL have fantastic ones in the size that fits in the cutout.

An amp up back , one for fronts.

• At present I am replacing my S70, 2 x front door and 2 x rear shelf speakers, all working properly.

Pm me if you are interested.

Cheers Peter

New speaker foam for the mesh speaker cover, $4.00 a cover from Clark rubber, 5mm open pore black foam.

Ex850R
    edited May 9

This what you'll need plus an electric tooth brush for quickly removing the old powdery foam.

The alloy mesh grills are easily unfolded on 3 sides but lift one side out as a reference point for reassembly.

Foam needed is 5mm, 1m x 330mm to do all six speaker covers. Takes about and hour and 15mins.

edited May 2

I've got the speaker issues sorted, goes in next Friday to be fitted with splits and singles, will let you know what brand and model etc with photos soon.

I'm trying to keep the original look and parts as much as possible.

Next engine mounts and distributor end cam seals.

Jamest5r_rado
    edited May 9

Front splits in original position

Rear speakers, all Polk quality gear.

All original connections, speaker housings & speaker covers back on with new foam behind alloy mesh.

Next Friday goes in for a blue tooth Stinger phone call & music streaming to original head u it and can't be seen.

I like the original look.

Photos after nxt Friday.

Ex850Rrado
    edited May 8

Replaced cigarette lighter with dual usb.

Tried to keep the original look with stereo but it was just practical to not put the USB in while speakers were being done.

And bonus the stacker in the boot works perfectly, the first owner even left 4 cd's for me, Hot Cilli Peppers best of, Guns N Rose's Apettite For Destruction, Oasis What's the Story Morning Glory and The Verve Suburban Hyms.

I think his son mustve driven the car for a while, apparently junior journalist.

The radio in this unit is amazing, Smooth FM still clear as a bell 74klms away.

He said he will do kits up for anyone interested or send the housings and they will make parts and install in the plastic speaker housings.

• They all look the goods , was it supply only and you fitted them ?

No I got them to fit them. But very happy with them

edited May 9

I've just found the 850 window switches has the drivers door button won't work to go up, it's been a bit dodgy since I got the car.

Bugger

Drivers window switch won't go up.

edited May 9

Centre console up, note window switch disassembled

edited May 9

The window picture insert has dropped down inside switch & jammed it hence no upward movement, previous owner must've been trying to push window up via the switch button.

This is what the inside of the switch looks like.

2 spring loaded/centred ball bearings that operate up/down.

Got window back up before rain arrived.

• All going well that's an easy fix then 👍

Isthat a green diode (led) i spy in the switch ?

Unfortunately the switche blocks arn't rebuildable, will need to replace whole unit. If you see the small window screen picture start to come loose use sweezers and super glue to stop it dropping all the way into switch or this will happen.