850 Stereo and switchs questions

Hey guys , eventually I'd like to put back the original stereo. I have 2 , one of them is from the previous owner of my car and apparently the tape player never worked hence he changed the unit . The other was from a scraped 850 so don't know if that works . So my question is does anyone know of anyone that can repair one of these ?

That leads me to the other question , over time I'd like to change the lights to all switches from green to red , including the stereo. 2008 a mate of mine done this to a VW and looks good imo . I'm just not keen on green so this would include the cluster and heater controls as well .

Any thoughts ?

Comments

• 242GT242GT @242GT Wollongong NSW

I think you will need the code of the second one once it's installed in the car to power it up for use, if you can find the cars Vin number and dealer can look it up for you.

rado
  • Ex850RSnoopy @Ex850R Somewhere Over the Rainbow. Melbourne.

Berrys have someone that fixes them.

Mark could get the code .

rado
  • TzantushkaTrent @Tzantushka E. suburbs - Melbourne

If you're stuck and Mark from Berry can't help you out West, shoot me a PM can put you in contact with someone.

Long story cut short...

My old head unit from the 1988 BMW E30 is an BMW branded Alpine unit.

Out of pure luck, called into the Service Dept at Alpine H.O. here in Vic to see if they could fix it.

An older dude in the workshop overheard me and knew all about that radio and which car(s) they came from.

A few days later had a fully functional head unit good as new.

rado
  • This sounds promising and willing to post anywhere as I've given up going anywhere over here . In no rush but it's on the to do list 👍

Geez . who would think there would be anyone like that around anymore esp in a big brand company!

rado
  • Yep dying trade i soppose, bit like cd and amp repairs. Have some house speakers that one blew a couple of years ago and I'm buggered if I'm throwing them away . I will get it repaired one day .

Lots of speaker repair places even in WA, electronics like the HiFi gear has a few repairer about too. I'm on some HiFi fbook pages if you need.