850 Water in carpet

It's been raining here, fairly heavily for this ween, got into the 850 found the flat section of the front drivers side only but both back drivers and passengers side flat sections wet as.

Note: front passengers side was completely dry.

Any ideas please anyone, the car is a country car been sitting in a shed through out the drought till I found it, all the rubber drain hoses ( two each side of of engine bay & two in boot gutter were completely blocked with dust and fine grass).

Dose anyone know where the scuttle drains are.

Seems strange that only the flat areas are wet on the floor with no sign of vertical leaks.

Comments

• Ex850RSnoopy @Ex850R Somewhere Over the Rainbow. Melbourne.

If by scuttle you mean where the wipers are then that's the rubber drains iirc.

I've had many a P80 and never known this.

Sunroof?

• 242GT242GT @242GT Wollongong NSW

No sunroof, cleaned all 4 drain hoses, 2 in boot gutter, 2 from plemum chamber down through engine bay corners as they were badly blocked with dust and fine grass from yrs of being in the country.

Got me stumped as to why nothing in front passengers foot well, but other 3 foot well flat area's are wet.

Door seals?

Water getting into the airbox of the fan and the heater ducting is only other thing I can think, not sure it's possible....

• jamesincJames @jamesinc Oz Volvo Ice Fortress

Leaky windscreen maybe? Or there's a hole in the floor pan!

ALVO360

Car was sitting out the front under a tree in the front yard.

Door seals appear OK but will check them again

Car was sitting in a farm shed in Yenda for 9yrs I guess anything possible

He bought it new in 1996 for $79,000 still had the receipt in the glove box, I'm the second owner.

jamesinc

Check back window seal too?

Even the door window seals maybe, water can find it's way in every nook and cranny ,may be the tree sap or environment ate at the rubber integrity?

This is a good conundrum.....

I checked coolant tank all good. Found two tears in outer door seals but seals on the body shell are intact.

Sorry about horizontal veiw but upload rorated photo.

These 2 were completely blocked with a combination of dust and grass that had turned into solid dried out mud.

Back parcel shelf is bone dry as is all carpet leading to the floor, just the flat section of floor carpet wet except front passengers floor which is bone dry, this car was sent to test me that's for sure

A win and a loss today, again drivers foot well flooded as well as behind drivers seat in rear floor.

Removed wipers, plenum chamber cover, and seals.

This hose which is behind the engine bay one on drivers side, took it out as it is directly in front of fuse box under plenum cover area, poured water from a bucket into area, the hose directed water to underneath car onto ground BUT also back into the drivers foot well.

Poured water around the fuse box, it drained to ground but also back into car.

Any ideas please?

• Very strange, the only hole on that side is where the loom goes into the bulkhead, never heard of water getting though that before,

I poured water over that fuse box area and some went down the hose with the white stripe in photos, the rest ended up back in the drivers floor.

• No idea on that at all, can you see where abouts it's coming from in the cabin? All I can think of is that pipe has a split in it on route to the bottom of the car an it's leaking en route.

I'm going to have to take carpet out, all the plenum chamber covers etc, when I had them out today it looked as if there's gaps beside the fuse box leading down into the cabin

• Or just pull the top of that pipe off and run a new one out the bottom of the car, simpler way

I'll pull it apart again tomorrow and look for possible leak zone

Fuse box goes inside car so seal gone,same on other side,probably in the air plenum to the fan. Somebody has mucked around with it or its had a massive front shunt at some stage?

hamsandwich

I took the top of fuse box and retainer bolts but ran out of time weather wise, but I'm going to shine a strong torch light up from foot well and see if I can see light from engine bay side.