850 Fuel gauge Dosnt work & TRACS light stuck on

Slowly rebuilding my 850R, got it regoed but fuel gauge has light on constantly even though tank full,

Odometer dosnt change klm reading but speedo works.

TRACS light stuck on full time.

Otherwise motor is qiuet and smooth (203,000klms), gearbox is OK changes smoothly.

Many thanks to Ash Davies from DVS for is advice and guidance with the suspension and strut brace (one of the best out there) uses all 3 strut bolts.

Car handles very flat and corners very well.

Photos to come.

Comments

• Maybe able to help on the tracs light , mine was on from when i bought mine . Abs control unit ( think that's it called that ) may need changing . I bought a unit from ipd but you can get them else where i hear . As mine had the tracs & abs light on .

Looking forward to the pictures

• 242GT242GT @242GT Wollongong NSW

Thanks Stevo, will look into the abs, so far car drives very well, brand new DBA grooved disc's and new pads all round, with new pads and brake fluid flush and replacement done.

But car was sitting for 9yrs.

• 9 years , wow . Looking good in black there . Subscribed 😎

My abs light isn't on and car brakes ok without being harsh.

The console lights arnt working for the auto lights and heated seats.

• It take it it's an auto , are the lights working on the sport mode button ?

• All the switch lights are easy changed, I'll see if I can find the part number for just the cheap bulbs I used from altronics or jaycar or something, the oem ones were like $10 each or something crazy, auto shifter globe I grab spares from wreckers cause they also like $10 each, same bulbs as ciggy lighter backlight.

I have a parts v70 if you want the fuel sender unit out of it, and all the spare bulbs for the dash, I seen your in wollongong, I'm about 40 mins from you.

My 850R been sitting for 4 years now.

rado

Thanks for all the replies everyone, I'm enjoying restoring the 850R as I've been part of volvo territory for over 30yes but older ones, these new front wheel drive ones with front wheel drive are nice, bonding nicely with the 850R

rado

Note how much dust is inside the car, country car, I'm the second owner

• 2nd owner , sounds like you have found a Dimond in the rough 😎

• Ex850RSnoopy @Ex850R Somewhere Over the Rainbow. Melbourne.

The ABS/TRACS unit can be reflowed on the old solder , either yourself or afaik a place in Melbourne, Midwest ABS in USA will do an exchange , I highly recommend them, looked after me. The guy in Melbourne is used by BMG too .

Odometer bits from eBay, put new bulbs in cluster while there. And may as well put a bit of sheet metal on the dash mounts too.....

Sat in this shed for 9yrs, couldn't help myself, always liked the 850R and needed a project.

Sorry Stevo, no the lights arnt working on the sports mode button

• Ahh i can actually help with that one as the wires go to the dash bulbs . Happened on mine .

When you turn the key do all the lights light up like this ? If not , change the bulb

OK will check it tommorow

OK, today's research,

1.Top right bulb isn't on when ignition turned on.

2. Magical mystery tour, the fuel gauge works suddenly as of yday but still Dosnt sometimes, but more I drive it more it starts working when ignition turned on.

3. Speedo needle is somehow linked to fuel gauge working together.

4. Regardless of any of these mysteries the cruise control works well, bit sluggish at first but pretty accurate. BONUS.

4. After sitting for 9yes the motor is surprisingly qiuet considering 203,000kkms, even gearbox is very smooth when driven gentlemanly 😁.

5. It's also still got some get up and go over 100kph.

6. I think I'm bonding with this thing 😎

Abs light never comes on at all

Old number plates from many years ago, handed in

An odd but 2nd time it's happened, started 850R up this arvo, no fuel gauge, stopped engine removed key, turned it 180 degrees and put it back in ignition.

As I thought key was in all the way felt the last 4-5mm there was a notch it bottomed out in key barrel, so pulled it back out about 4mm turned ignition on and fuel gauge came up.

This is the third time in a week its done it.

Question please all, are there any wires to the key barrel that power up particular sections of the dash.

• Ex850RSnoopy @Ex850R Somewhere Over the Rainbow. Melbourne.

get new key barrel before it fails, new, not used

• nickmnicko @nickm Sydeneee --- home of the traffic jamb, over priced coffee, and the 2000 Olympics
    edited March 31

Old gunky fuel in the tank?

The ABS module needs re flowing your the ABS bulb is out

Been told to have ABS replaced, will do that, fuel is new but lines not used for last 9yrs, new fuel filter and pump though.