240 Kaplhenke offset strut tops - springs fouling on wheel well

jamesincJames (@jamesinc) Oz Volvo Ice Fortress

I'm installing some of the nice Kaplhenke strut tops, I'm not using the luxe steer option so just stock perches, and I'm finding my springs are hard up against the inner wheel well at rear. This is with the strut tops setup per Kaplhenke's recommendation for stock-style coil springs.

Anyone else experienced this? I haven't found anyone else talking about it online, kind of stumped as it's not even close to clearing, I won't be able to drive the car like this as the springs are full on binding up on the tower.

Comments

• What springs are they and what diameter are the coils?

• Can you show a picture?

• jamesincJames (@jamesinc) Oz Volvo Ice Fortress

They're King springs, I don't know the OD, same as factory.

I'm inclined to think there's supposed to be some kind of spacer between the spring top and the strut bearing.

Okay well after searching around online some more I decided to just get the soft hammer out and clearance the inner tower. It was only fouling in one spot so no biggie really. I was a bit misled I think by the Kaplhenke guide that didn't really mention needing to do any of that.

• Good stuff.

i’m curious, why didn’t you “spring” for the luxe steer mounts?

Everyone says they make the steering lighter, but I am happy with the steering feel, so making it lighter seemed like an unnecessary expense.