XC90 d5 timing belt change
I'm preparing for doing the timing belt on my XC90, and am asking around to see what I've missed or misunderstood.
The car is a 2010 XC90 D5, 146k on the odo, bought at auction (11k), my plan is to look after it and keep it going as the family car, quite happy so far with handling, space and economy, and I figure it'll last if we look after it.
From what I can figure so far:
- the timing belt is due (usual is 10 years / 150k for the D5)
- it's also a good idea to replace the accessory belt as it can let go and interfere with the timing pulleys and break the engine too
- getting the crank bolt off will be tough. My plan is to use a hand impact wrench (like this https://www.tradetools.com/product-range/auto-and-mechanics-tools/automotive-specialty/force-1-2-hand-impact-wrench?gclid=Cj0KCQiAxrbwBRCoARIsABEc9sh8GhCtuhJo0hb_ghKUc5xShnIuXm2L2OzDaKPtp1Z6pKTuQQdr6jUaAokuEALw_wcB) to get it off. Anyone else used one?
- retorqueing requires a 300Nm torque wrench, plus something to hold the crank. Is it worth buying the crankholder tool for one use, or is there another trick to it?
- timing belt kits are expensive. I got quoted $440 from the local dealer. runauto list this kit at $276 https://runautoparts.com.au/timing-belt-kit-vkma-06220, otherwise looks like shipping a kit from the UK (like this https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Volvo-Timing-Belt-Kit-Belt-Tensioner-Idle-D5-Engine-Diesel-31359568/192063771056?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160811114145%26meid%3Df3826ccbb0834aa3b39ef721bfce9183%26pid%3D100667%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D3%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D322180973554%26itm%3D192063771056%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2334524&_trksid=p2334524.c100667.m2042 or all the bits and pieces like this https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Genuine-Volvo-D5-Engine-Belt-Change-Full-Set-Timing-Belt-Aux-Belt-Water-Pump-Aux/322180973554?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160811114145%26meid%3Df3826ccbb0834aa3b39ef721bfce9183%26pid%3D100667%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D3%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D322180973554%26itm%3D322180973554%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2334524&_trksid=p2334524.c100667.m2042 )
- I found a youtube guide, he seems sensible to me - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOQse-cekKc
- other than the crankbolt, the job isn't too bad, and the timing belt doesn't loop around the engine mount which is nice.
- I've not had a good look at the belts, but I'm not hearing any rough noises from the front of the engine so I'm not living in fear. Yet.
Anything else I should look out for? There's a bit of seeping from the front of the engine, will I have a chance of seeing where it's coming from in this job? Thoughts on the magic super hand impact wrench?