740 & 760 Stealth B230F+T Turbo Kit

I have somehow accumulated 2 740s in varying states of disrepair. Neither of them are registered and they are taking up space in my brain and street.

One is a 1987 740 Turbo sedan with a mint black interior and clean square/egg crate grille front end that has no engine/drive train, and a dented rear.

The other is an NA 1990 sedan with the later front end but the exact same colour as the Turbo. It has a clean shell, pretty tired grey cloth interior and a slow but reliable B230F.

I could probably sell the second one for $500 as is and scrap the first one for $50 but it seems a shame to waste the good interior and desirable parts from the Turbo and go to the hassle of listing and cleaning up the NA car for a measly $500. Facebook and Gumtree seem to think that a clean 740 is worth 2-3k but there are barely any out there for whatever reason. Is it silly of me to think that if put all of the fruit from the 740 Turbo chassis onto the clean N/A body (black interior,dash, egg crate front end etc) and did a clean +T using the Turbo computers and then registered it I might be able to sell it for 2k? Also, has anyone registered a +T 740 that used completely standard components without any notification of the authorities?

Comments

• SpacSpac @Spac Canberra-ish.

A 740 +T should be able to go through any rego inspection because it is a factory option.

It's not worth pissing around with the other stuff, unless you are unemployed or otherwise have a massive amount of spare time relative to your income. Best return vs time input would likely be:

Advertise the good bits off the Jurbo and scrap the rest.

Give the NA car a good clean, a service and advertise for $1200ono and see what happens.

egadscarnut222pigdog
  • DCW242Duncan @DCW242 - Western Victoria

I might be interested in the black interior if you would sell it, do you have any pics?

• That's fair advice @Spac and it does make sense. I think there's probably a week's worth of work in a plus t and interior swap, not to mention anything going wrong during the process, so even at min wage I'd not be coming out on top.

I'll PM you some pics tomorrow Duncan, if you'd like to buy the interior I'll probably abandon this whole idea!

@DCW242 did you ever end up getting that early 740 bonnet you were after?

• Since you will have changed the induction type when +T, you will need a blue slip inspection if you're in NSW and that means engineering certificate

Changing from one factory fitted motor type to another = no need for an engineering certificate.

Same as fitting a 308 to an originally 202 powered Kingswood, or a B23 into an early 240.

There are potentially some issues with emissions equipment (mostly relating to prove compliance, rather than there being an actual problem), but they’re highly unlikely to be raised in Sam’s scenario.

egads
  • What if it was a 240 that was being made turbo?

740 940 came with turbo option, but 240's didn't here

• The 240 turbo conversion is a pretty long running debate on here actually - but I was more interested in the 740 situation.

I doubt any issue would be raised here at VicRoads if I used all OEM bits to do the +T because it would look quite original to the car. But the only thing that I can foresee being a hassle would be that my engine number would stay the same, which might make it an 'aftermarket' turbo kit on the stock engine where I think you have a point @ramrod, as against swapping in the entirely new turbo engine which I agree @Spac does seem to be allowed. It would probably not be understood by VicRoads but because of the higher compression and different cam in the NA block my emissions would be different to a factory turbo engine, and if they raised this they are technically not wrong. Thankfully though the 1990s NA 740s I believe had the same upgraded brakes etc that the earlier turbos had but NAs lacked. Probably reading too much into it TBH and if I just took it to a mechanic they would roadworthy it without a hassle.

Spac

If it was a 240, then you are correct.

There is some leeway in this thanks to it being a factory fitment, but the majority of RWC inspectors will get nervous and ask for an engineering report.

• No. It will require a blue slip for the purpose of changing the identification of the car but it wont need an engineering certificate. Volvo offered the 740 and 240 as a turbo option. RHD turbos existed but were never mass produced but they did exist.

Heres a copy and paste for you: Fitting of turbochargers or superchargers not originally offered by the engine or vehicle manufacturer, or increasing the original power output by more than 20%. 

How this is often interpreted is that the turbo is fine as Volvo offered a turbo. Use a Volvo turbo with stock plumbing and it will pass fine. In regards to the 20% extra power you can explain that the wastegate has been set to the match that of the low power variant of 4psi. Any half decent blueslip station wont waste their time arguing with you.

My first 240 +T had to go through engineering as these rules didnt exist. The 245 is registered as a turbo and did not require engineering as I followed the rules outlined in the VSCCS.

• This would be a very unlikely scenario. Most inspectors will assume the insides are the same and that the extra T on the real turbo denotes it is a turbo and nothing more. The engine number is important to them for means of identification and usually not much more. If youre really worried then slap a few 740 turbo badges on there, use factory parts and i bet most wont even ask any real questions when you front. A 740 is a much easier task than a 240.

• Thanks for the input @Slowbrick, this seems like the way to go if I was to go forward with it - original turbo air box and all badges and just not mention anything different.

Spac
  • DCW242Duncan @DCW242 - Western Victoria