240 240 wagon tyre/wheel size

The 240 turbo wagon is up for rego soon and requires tyres. Its on the standard 14in rims currently.

Is itt worth the move up to a 15in ‘virgo’ or similar wheel or stick with the 14in for a tad more comfort?

The virgos seems a really heavy rim and I dont mind the look of the hub caps on the 14in rims.

Splitting hairs?

Cam

Comments

• SpacSpac (@Spac) Canberra-ish.

A 15” wheel with a 60 profile tyre compared to a14” with a 75/78 profile tyre, behaves exactly as you would expect: slightly more precise turn in, better steering feel, slightly less absorbency on bumps.

For me, it is a no brainer - the 15 is the better compromise by a significant margin. But your priorities appear to be different and you will have to decide for yourself.

Virgos are not heavy.

• If 14" use 195-75-14

if 15" use 205-65-15

on a wagon those sizes ensure correct trip meter and odometer accuracy

• Thanks for the feedback gents. Im used to light 15in wheels on my Citroens/Peugeots. 4-6kgs.

how much does a virgo weigh compared to a steel rim?

cam

• jamesincJames (@jamesinc) Oz Volvo Ice Fortress

Oh probably 25-30% less, I haven't handled either in a while. I have a bare Virgo rim in the garage that I use to keep my compressor hose tidy, do you want me to weigh it for you?

• Good info here on Tony Hyde’s website about Volvo wheel weights...says Virgo is 8 kg

https://people.physics.anu.edu.au/~amh110/volvo_wheel_weights.htm

• That's excellent news!

8kg is not heavy at all. Not sure why I thought they were heavy.

Ill keep on the look out for a set. The missus does love the standard look so it could be all in vein!

Thanks agin.

• Ex850RSnoopy (@Ex850R) Somewhere Over the Rainbow. Melbourne.

They are soft though .

• Yea soft is good for shitty sydney roads.

Im just tempted to go 15in because of my selfish brain.

I think for now Ill stick with 14in unless shes happy wit a set of Virgos.

• Ex850RSnoopy (@Ex850R) Somewhere Over the Rainbow. Melbourne.

Steel ford Kuga rims widened and some chrome rings on them, make up hub cap for centre for period look.