240 Installing early windscreen surround on later style windscreen

I know that there were at least 2 sizes of wind screens for 240s and surrounds.

From what I understand the earlier one was slightly smaller and the chrome surround clipped in, it looks like the following

The later models came with a rubber seal (with or without chrome trim on it) and the glass was slightly larger, like so:

My question is if it is possible to install an early surround on a later model glass. My 240 should have the one shown in the first picture, although during its life has had a later windscreen surround and glass installed. Is it possible to (somehow?) fit the earlier one on or does it require the earlier windscreen as well?

I'm happy to be corrected, this is what I understand now! 😁

Comments

• I don't think you can, being larger I don't believe there is enough room to fit the trim, happy to be corrected

rez
  • Ex850RSnoopy @Ex850R Somewhere Over the Rainbow. Melbourne.

My 245 had chrome trim, a new screen and later rubber was installed and I don't recall any mention of different size glass,it's just the seal kit.

• Maybe it wasn't mentioned, but 1991> uses larger glass which takes the rubber seal.

Perhaps the windscreen company you used only had the 1991> and rubber seal windscreen

Ex850R
  • From what I know there is 3 different trim types but only 2 different glass sizes.

Early pre 79(?) - Full chrome trim, attaches with metal clips that go into slots in the window frame on the car. Clips must be installed before glass is installed.

79(?) to 90(?) - metal/rubber trim, attaches with plastic clips that are glued in when installing the glass.

Post 90 (?) - rubber trim that comes already bonded to the slightly larger glass.

Whilst anything is possible with enough effort, pre 79 trim can only go on the corresponding cars.

Everythings else is interchangable but any trim change requires removing the window.

• jamesincJames @jamesinc Oz Volvo Ice Fortress

With the full chrome trim I don't think the post-79 240s have the slots in the bodywork for you to add the clips needed to retain the chrome.