260 Going to the national meet in a barn find prv

DCW242Duncan @DCW242 - Western Victoria
edited December 2019 in RWD

A friend was planning to visit Australia in November, we realized it was during the national meet so it could be a good opportunity to get there, which meant deciding which of my too Volvos to take, then I remembered I owned a '76 265 that would be perfect.

The plan was to tow it to my place in Melbourne and restore it, just before that happened my landlord decided to sell my place and I had to leave quickly, leaving about 2.5 weeks to restore the 265.

In the '90s my parents had a light green '77 265GL which started a long line of Volvos since, I had always wanted a 265 since my parents ones are long gone, But finding an early one in good condition was almost impossible. Then I got a offered a '76 model, it was sight unseen, I didn't know any details apart from the year. it was just outside Avoca, which was pretty strange since it was only a short drive from my family's property. My dad went and picked it up, I was in an exam all day so I had to wait to get home and see what it was like, I was pretty surprised by it.

The 265DL was sold in a few markets, almost all versions were different for each market and very few were made. The Australian 265DL was the same spec as a 265GL, the only reason for the DL badging was too differentiate it from the 264GL, since it was the flagship sedan at the time. They were assemblied in Melbourne unlike later 265s sold here, we don't know how many were bulit, in the late 90s my parnets bought a crame coloured one for parts, it got parted out and until this one came up I've never come across another one.

It was new at Mantons in Melbourne, where it had a few owners until 1993 when the owner I got it from bought it, they had looked after it very well, a few years ago when they had some problems with it and replaced it with something newer. It had a Holden roof rack, a fan in the rear pillar and some other basic mods but it was mostly original in very good condition for it's age and Ks.

It sat in the yard here for 6 months until I pulled it out and got it running, it had a blown headgasket but driving it around on some private property it felt pretty good.

carnut222bgpzfm142

Comments

• DCW242Duncan @DCW242 - Western Victoria
    edited December 2019

Mechanical:

I wanted to keep it looking original but the B27 was pretty tired and the 3sp autos aren’t great, I had an exchange B28 laying around, and John Johnson supplied a 760 AW71 to run with it. I did a lot of other changes while fitting the new engine, I fitted the CIS idle system from a 760 which uses a small computer and a idle valve to control the idle more accurately than the aux air valve, an external trans cooler, electric fan, etc.

Before cleaning

removing the B27/BW55

Stripping and cleaning the B28

these are the later rocker arms which were only fitted to exchange engines and B280s, they make a big improvement but the rocker covers need modifying to give enough clearance for them, I wanted to keep the B27 ones so I removed the same sections the factory did on the exchange ones.

B28 fitted

Intake and K jet before and after

The AW71 conversion was pretty straight forward, @Angus242164 Supplied a 164 tail shaft which happens to be the right length, @carnut222 supplied a late 240 OD shifter, I fitted an early tail housing with speedo drive, a 240 AW71 mount in a V6 crossmember all fits perfectly. The shifter linkage was shortened, an external cooler meant I didn’t need to modify the hard lines to fit the radiator.the engine pipe needs to be modified slightly to clean the AW71, I took the opportunity to weld on the main section of a 240 engine pipe which doesn’t have a 3rd muffler where the 260s do.

swapping over the early tail housing with a new bush and seals.

OD shifter fitted

modified engine pipe

crossmember cleaned

later PS rack fitted with custom hose

fan switch fitted

the distributor and coolant return pipe had to be swapped to the B27 to allow the early manifold it fit

thermostat housing drilled and tapped for CIS temp sensor

Oil sender adapter made out of an oil gallery plug

silicon coolant hoses

later fuel pump fitted

Kings/DVS springs (-45mm/-30mm f:r), new KYBs, refinforced control arms, 21mm/19mm sway bars(originally 17mm/nothing) new strut tops. new brake hoses.

@AshDVS supplied DVS special front springs

carnut222bgpzfm142

Body:

Tow bar removed and rear shroud fitted

@carnut222 supplied some mint headlights.

Windscreen removed from a parts car ready to be fitted

Tidy early front indicator lenses fitted

New 195/65r14 tyres

Other work included: GT front spoiler fitted, remove aftermarket roof rack, repair and fit genuine 265 rack. replace cracked dash with an uncracked original, restored and fitted R-sport cluster, Repair and rewire tailgate wiring.

Some stickers we had made

carnut222bgpzfm142

Interior: The seats, carpet, boot lining etc were removed and cleaned, wiring and OD shiftier added, non faded carpet fitted, some later front seats fitted while the brown leather ones are being restored. Rear power windows fitted. Genuine coin tray, R-sport cluster, purple switch, dash mat and door pockets fitted.

Carpet and floor mats before cleaning

Dash fitted

Early GT steering wheel and new leather but we ran out of time for restoring it.

Rear power window console

I didn't get many good pics of the interior becouse it didn't get fully finished, I left theoriginal steering wheel in and borrowed the seats from my 264. I'll get some better ones once the seats are back in.

carnut222bgpzfm142

Some stuff I bought before even seeing the car in person

Side projects:

The R-sport cluster required a huge amount of work, it was bulit out of a few of them and some nos parts. A new light strip was made and the tach was converted to 6cyl.

I made this battery clamp for it since the new battery didn't have tabs on the ends, it locks into the LH side of the tray and runs cross both ends to cover the tabs, the plate on the end uses the standard bolt.

bgpzfm142

All of this had to be done in two and a half weeks, with no garage or suitable work space and lots of rain. We had it driving on Tuesday, Wednesday morning we drove it to the roadworthy center as soon as they opened, it passsed with no issues, we then drove it 4 hours to get the club rego paperwork signed off, and made it to vicroads 20 mins before closing and got the number plates. We spent all of Thrusdsy going all the final work, Friday morning we fitted the seats and head unit, and left for Bathurst. We had it to the Friday night dinner.

The morning we left

Cookies loaded and roadtrip happening

carnut222bgpzfm142nugget_940Stubanger

After the meet we decided to go home via Canberra, Bright, Geelong and the great ocean road.

We did about 5000Ks all up, the car was great, it sat at 2200rpm and used 9.5L/100Ks.

Feature plans include respray, tint, fitting the brown leather seats, GT steering wheel, cargo barrier and fixing the AC.

242GTEssboscarnut222dmmbgpzfm142Spac240Jamest5r_nugget_940alphaxand 3 others.
  • 242GT242GT @242GT Wollongong NSW
    edited December 2019

Lots of hard work and a brilliant result, nice and rare 265 wagon you have now.

DCW242
  • Ex850RSnoopy @Ex850R Somewhere Over the Rainbow. Melbourne.

Lovely !

DCW242
  • Great work Duncan. A real credit to you to get all that done in such a short time period. I look forward to following the progress of the project!

DCW242
  • Great work Duncan. You reminded me I need to hunt a GT wheel for the 144 (appeared in the 74 accessories catalog fitted to a 144) and a new driver's mat like the ones you have.

DCW242
  • Looks like a lot of work has paid off . Looks stunning 😎

DCW242

Thanks everyone!

@paul0075 I'll keep a look out for you, a mat shouldn't be too hard to find but the steering wheels are pretty rare, this one needs some work to the foam before leather can be put on it, I would have used it as is but most of these ones seem to fall apart.

• Thanks Duncan, my understanding is that it’s the same wheel as the 89 onwards Volvo’s with a different horn pad. But not been able to confirm

• Great work Duncan. I'm sorry I didn't get to see it in person.

It's a different wheel as well, I was hoping it was the same so I could retrim a better condition one but the centre behind the pad and spoke design are different.

Thanks, that's all good. I haven't decided if I'll bring it again next year with a respray or bring something different.

• volvo264Volvo Ovlov @volvo264 Wellington , New Zealand

Great work Duncan getting it on the road in a short time period ?

jamesinc